Marijuana vs. Alcohol: Which Is Really Worse for Your Health?

The question of whether alcohol or marijuana is worse for health is being debated once again, this time, sparked by comments that President Barack Obama made in a recent interview with The New Yorker magazine.

"As has been well documented, I smoked pot as a kid, and I view it as a bad habit and a vice, not very different from the cigarettes that I smoked as a young person up through a big chunk of my adult life," Obama said during the interview. "I don't think it is more dangerous than alcohol."

But how apt is the comparison between these substances? While both are intoxicants used recreationally, their legality, patterns of use and long-term effects on the body make the two drugs difficult to compare.

Both alcohol consumption and pot smoking can take a toll on the body, showing both short- and long-term health effects, though alcohol has been linked to some 88,000 deaths per year, according to the CDC, while for a number of reasons those associated with marijuana use are harder to come by. And research into marijuana's health effects is still in its infancy, compared with the rigorous studies looking at alcohol and human health.

Short-term health consequences

Drinking too much alcohol can quickly kill a person. The inability to metabolize alcohol as quickly as it is consumed can lead to a buildup of alcohol in the brain that shuts down areas necessary for survival, such as those involved with heartbeat and respiration. [7 Ways Alcohol Affects Your Health]

"You can die binge-drinking five minutes after you've been exposed to alcohol. That isn't going to happen with marijuana," said Ruben Baler, a health scientist at the National Institute on Drug Abuse. "The impact of marijuana use is much subtler."

(Of course, subtle effects don't equate with no danger, as is the case with smoking cigarettes, which is linked with 440,000 deaths per year in the U.S.)

Marijuana affects the cardiovascular system, increasing heart rate and blood pressure, but a person can't fatally overdose on pot like they can with alcohol, Baler said.

Alcohol is more likely than marijuana to interact with other drugs. The way that alcohol is metabolized, or broken down, in the body, is common to many drugs that are taken for a variety of conditions, said Gary Murray, acting director of the Division of Metabolism and Health Effects at the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.

This means that for people taking drugs or medications while drinking, the alcohol can increase or decrease levels of the active drug in the body.

"Those things can make it very hit and miss, whether you're getting an active dose of a medication," Murray said.

Still, both drugs can affect health in indirect ways, too.

Because marijuana can impair coordination and balance, there is the risk of hurting oneself, particularly if someone drives or chooses to have unprotected sex while their inhibitions are lowered, Baler said. These are two areas where people using marijuana could hurt themselves for the short and long term.

Long-term health consequences

The long-term effects of drinking heavily are well known. "Excess alcohol is going to lead to very severe consequences, and chronic excess alcohol is the most likely to lead to a lot of threatening issues," Murray said.

Drinking can lead to alcoholic liver disease, which can progress to fibrosis of the liver, which in turn can potentially lead to liver cancer, Murray said.

"I emphasize 'can' – it's not even clear to the best scientists what are the triggers that allow that progression to happen," he said, noting that why some people have a higher risk than others of developing liver disease from drinking is not understood medically or biochemically.

Unlike alcohol, Baler said, the effects of chronic marijuana use are not as well established. Animal studies have indicated some possible impact on reproduction. Additionally, there is evidence marijuana can worsen psychiatric issues for people who are predisposed to them, or bring them on at a younger age. Finally, Baler said, because the drug is typically smoked, it can bring on bronchitis, coughing and chronic inflammation of the air passages.

But while early studies showed some evidence linking marijuana to lung cancer, subsequent studies have debunked that association. Baler said it's unclear why marijuana smoke does not have the same result as tobacco smoke on the lungs, but perhaps some beneficial compounds in the marijuana smoke cancel out the ill effects, or perhaps the other health habits of marijuana smokers are different from those of cigarette smokers.

But cigarette smoking plays a complicated role in studying the impact of marijuana smoke, Baler said. Marijuana smokers tend to smoke much less than cigarette smokers, as some may smoke one joint a few times a week.

"It's a very tough epidemiological nut to break," Baler said.

Additionally, researchers looking to study long-term marijuana use have had difficulty in finding people who regularly smoke marijuana but don’t also smoke tobacco cigarettes. And the illegality of marijuana has also limited research in this field.

For marijuana, much of the concern is with young people who use the drug, because the drug interferes with the development of the brain while it is still maturing, Baler said. [10 Facts Every Parent Should Know About Their Teen's Brain]

Smoking marijuana interferes with connections being made in the brain "at a time when the brain should be at a clear state of mind, and accumulating, memory and data and good experiences that should be laying out the foundation for the future," Baler said.

"How much you're impaired depends on the person, and how much you smoke," Baler said. Because some people are stoned a lot of the time, while others may use marijuana only on weekends, the health effects become difficult to generalize.

"You're cumulatively impairing your cognitive function. What's going to be the ultimate result, nobody can say."

Benefits

There is no known medical use for consumed alcohol, but there are health benefits observed in moderate drinkers, including lower rates of cardiovascular disease and possibly fewer colds, Murray said.

"We always counsel people to avoid drinking to excess, but moderate drinking is not something that's very dangerous," he said.

As for marijuana, whose legalization for medical uses has been a matter of strong public policy debate for years, there is ample evidence that beneficial compounds can be found in the plant.

"Researchers are working around the clock to try to identify the ingredients in marijuana that have potential," to benefit human health, Baler said.

Once such chemicals are in a pure form, and researchers understand their effects on the body, then they could be put in clinical trials for use in cancer, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, glaucoma and other diseases, he said.

"There are segments of the population that want to bypass the entire process, grabbing this nugget of truth … and claiming smoking marijuana can be good for your health and have medical uses," Baler said.

Although for palliative care, he said, "that would be a different realm of medicine," in which the goal is to drug a person so they do not feel pain.

The year 2014 has brought with it the first legal sales of marijuana to people who aren't using the drug for medical reasons in the United States since the 1930s, as voters in Colorado and Washington state brought about this policy change.

Public health researchers have said studying rates of injuries, accidents, mental illness and teen use in the wake of the new laws will lead to a better understanding of marijuana's public health effects.

Follow us @livescience, Facebook& Google+. Original article on LiveScience.

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    edited January 2014
    Psssshhht....health schmelth!
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Seriously????

Did I get lost on AMT?
    #FHP
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I like them both together..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    I'm too drunk to make sense of all that ^^^^^
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • prismprism Posts: 2,440
    imalive said:

I'm too drunk to make sense of all that ^^^^^

yeah the first thing that came to mind was:

someone would have to be beyond plastered to believe it's still a debate

:)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I forgot what I just read..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited January 2014
    Horos said:

Seriously????

Did I get lost on AMT?

I was thinking the same thing. This topic begs for a debate!

And yeah, pot is def. safer than alcohol. On the person smoking/eating it, and especially others.
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995

I like them both together..

lol i agree.

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Its a plant that makes me laugh. What the hell is the problem here? hehe
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317

Its a plant that makes me laugh. What the hell is the problem here? hehe

Didn't you read the article? It can make people choose to have unprotected sex.
  • Idris said:

Its a plant that makes me laugh. What the hell is the problem here? hehe

Didn't you read the article? It can make people choose to have unprotected sex.
    :)) Guilty, I didnt read all of it. But alcohol makes people choose to have unprotected sex with unattractive people. thats too many "un"'s :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edited January 2014
    alcohol is so much worse than a simple plant. do not let the government make up your minds, people. that is who is telling us what we can & can not use because maybe one is looked down upon & or illegal in most places. the fact is alcohol brewing companies just like tobacco farming companies pay the government huge dollars every year.

if you drink daily you are at risk big time vs' someone using marijuana. nowadays a lot of people are making marijuana butter which is an all day event but the cookies & brownies are so worth the effort. a few hits a day will not damage your lungs. the chemicals added to tobacco by the cigarette manufactures are not in marijuana.

if you are an alcoholic you are going to die sooner than a pot-head
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    edited January 2014
    90.7% of all the people who preach marijuana is evil or bad for us have not ever seen the plant & have never even lit a fucking joint or ate a thc cookie

fucking lame ass little pricks

so go drink your martinis after work with your fellow office & law making little buddies who all suck big time
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    MJ combined w/ Mr. Frito Lay make for a dangerous health combo.
    alcohol always made me hungrier than the plant

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    different strokes for different folks. i had to quit for good because my grocery bill would get out of hand.
    stop it

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    Jason P said:

MJ combined w/ Mr. Frito Lay make for a dangerous health combo.

Man, not sure where your too but if you ever get the chance.... try Cheetos jalapeno flav.. now thats dangerous.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • lazlobluelazloblue Posts: 738
    Both together in moderation is great!

However if I can only have one I'd choose the weed cauz I like the effects much better.
    Lollapalooza 92, Alpine Valley 11, De Luna 12, Wrigley/Pittsburgh/Dallas/OKC 13, Tulsa/Denver 14, Global 15, Wrigley 1/2 16
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    don't drink the jesus juice... stick with the cookies.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless