Lawnmower suggestions please!

So the new place has a considerably smaller lawn, so we left our awesome self-propelled mulching gas mower at the old house for the renters.

Now I have to look for a new mower, I'm looking at reel mowers:

or electric mowers.

We do have to mow the grass strip that is on the sidewalk as well, so I would have to carry said mower down 8 steps, or walk it down the alley and around the block.

Any advice? Have you used a reel mower?

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I bought a reel mower three years ago ... A fiskers ... It did a good job at cutting.

I have some elevation in my yard. I used the reel mower once. Take that into consideration

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    I worked in the garden department of home depot for a bit.....I had to take online study of everything we sold....unfortunately, I forgot everything I "learned".... I do know my fiskars scissors are not worth a damn
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Some sheep?
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    imalive said:

I worked in the garden department of home depot for a bit.....I had to take online study of everything we sold....unfortunately, I forgot everything I "learned".... I do know my fiskars scissors are not worth a damn

yeah, I have 2 Fiskars paper cutters, one is a piece of crap, and the other is alright...it works, but only if you know its "quirks".

Jason P said:

I bought a reel mower three years ago ... A fiskers ... It did a good job at cutting.

I have some elevation in my yard. I used the reel mower once. Take that into consideration

most of the yard is flat...there is a slope toward the retaining wall, but I figure the weed eater could take care of that part.

Some sheep?

awesome! when Mr. RK sees this in the yard:

I'm gonna tell him, "Who Princess told me to get them to help with the lawn!"
    (yes, I realize those are goats...they're cuter, and they will eat the weeds-bonus! they can 'fertilize' the lawn as they munch!)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

awesome! when Mr. RK sees this in the yard:

I'm gonna tell him, "Who Princess told me to get them to help with the lawn!"
    (yes, I realize those are goats...they're cuter, and they will eat the weeds-bonus! they can 'fertilize' the lawn as they munch!)

I think we have a winner. I know you like the "green" lifestyle

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    what about growing some kind of low growing ground cover in place of the grass by the street?
    did you see me? i saw you.
    Those goats are cute! Wonder if they are miniatures.
    Well, I'm sure they'd do just as good a job as some sheep.
  • I had a reel mower for years -- that sonofagun kept me in shape! The grass grows too fast for a reel mower here though...if I missed one weekend, I'd have to go over it 2-3 times! When I finally bought a shitty little old gas mower, I couldnt believe I ever used a reel mower. I cut my yardwork time in half. But I suppose it depends on how much area you have to mow. Its nice to never buy gas..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492

what about growing some kind of low growing ground cover in place of the grass by the street?

can always go the astroturf route.
    www.myspace.com

I had a reel mower for years -- that sonofagun kept me in shape! The grass grows too fast for a reel mower here though...if I missed one weekend, I'd have to go over it 2-3 times! When I finally bought a shitty little old gas mower, I couldnt believe I ever used a reel mower. I cut my yardwork time in half. But I suppose it depends on how much area you have to mow. Its nice to never buy gas..

I've had more than a few people tell me that a reel mower is a lot more work than it looks. They weren't called "push" mowers for nothing.
    imalive said:

Seattle promotes 'green living' in more ways than you'd ever imagine...I'm still trying to remember to bring my re-useable bags to the store.

I was thinking that, I'd have to get a surveyor out to draw the property line (blech), but I do see a few people have put gravel in their curb strip planter (or whatever it is they call it).

can always go the astroturf route.

Those goats are cute! Wonder if they are miniatures.
    Well, I'm sure they'd do just as good a job as some sheep.

pygmy goats, and they are allowed within city limits...depending on how large my lot is. I doubt my lot is large enough for me to legally keep them though...wonder if I can borrow some.

I had a reel mower for years -- that sonofagun kept me in shape! The grass grows too fast for a reel mower here though...if I missed one weekend, I'd have to go over it 2-3 times! When I finally bought a shitty little old gas mower, I couldnt believe I ever used a reel mower. I cut my yardwork time in half. But I suppose it depends on how much area you have to mow. Its nice to never buy gas..

I've had more than a few people tell me that a reel mower is a lot more work than it looks. They weren't called "push" mowers for nothing.
    I realize the reel mower is a lot of work, my lawn is probably 500-600 sq. ft. total...at the very most. So it's almost too small for an electric mower. the grass in the back doesn't grow very well, so we may rip it all out and just put in pavers.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

imalive said:

Seattle promotes 'green living' in more ways than you'd ever imagine...I'm still trying to remember to bring my re-useable bags to the store.

that's not really the "green living" I had in mind :wink:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

RKCNDY said:

imalive said:

that's not really the "green living" I had in mind :wink:

I know what you're talking about...think there are 5 business that put in applications to open a retail store in my little neighborhood alone...

- Christopher McCandless
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edited January 2014
    we used reel movers when us brothers were kids. it is a frickin chore when you are on a big front & big backyard. they do a beautiful job though. i have a friend whose dad owned a 9 hole golf course. they used reel mowers pulled behind a tractor. reel blades cut the fuck out of grass. the trick is sharpening them correctly & yearly
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    UPDATE: bought a reel mower...$100, super easy to use once we got the right height adjustment. The grass loves it, since I've been using it, the lawn actually is growing faster and the grass comes up lusher.

I can mow the entire lawn, front, back, side, and curb strip in less than an hour...and no, I don't rake up the clippings, I leave them be to compost in the yard.

I decided to be strive for a chemical free lawn & garden...I really hate dandelions at the moment.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

UPDATE: bought a reel mower...$100, super easy to use once we got the right height adjustment. The grass loves it, since I've been using it, the lawn actually is growing faster and the grass comes up lusher.

I can mow the entire lawn, front, back, side, and curb strip in less than an hour...and no, I don't rake up the clippings, I leave them be to compost in the yard.

I decided to be strive for a chemical free lawn & garden...I really hate dandelions at the moment.

congrats on 25K. fascinating story. ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    RKCNDY said:

What happened to the goats? I think you should revisit that idea. ;)
    ELITIST FUK
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,949
    RKCNDY said:

Speaking of fiskars and dandelions. I got one of these for the weeds instead of a screwdiriver:

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Uproot-Weed-Root-Remover/dp/B0030MIHAU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398494566&sr=8-1&keywords=fiskars+weed+puller

Stuff your Round up in a sack!
    imalive said:

RKCNDY said:

UPDATE: bought a reel mower...$100, super easy to use once we got the right height adjustment.
    The grass loves it, since I've been using it, the lawn actually is growing faster and the grass comes up lusher.

congrats on 25K. fascinating story. ;)
    Now I'm 'unemployable'! (though it feels more like 'life wasted'... Hahaha!
    SD48277 said:

What happened to the goats? I think you should revisit that idea. ;)

Goats are a lot of work! Though I did see my neighbors setting up a chicken coop...I kinda want chickens, fresh eggs!

- Christopher McCandless

Speaking of fiskars and dandelions. I got one of these for the weeds instead of a screwdiriver:

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Uproot-Weed-Root-Remover/dp/B0030MIHAU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398494566&sr=8-1&keywords=fiskars+weed+puller

HA! I actually have this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000DI835/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1398570031&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

...though I don't recall paying anywhere near $80 for it, more like $20-30. I will check out the Fiskars one...just so I won't be the only one pulling weeds. (I actually want to douse the junipers with the Roundup!)

- Christopher McCandless

I got one of these:

gemplers.com/product/151206/Grampas-Weeder

Same kind of tool, just made of wood and metal instead of plastic.