Options

Planning to travel for some shows in Europe?

Hey all,

I am considering putting together some travel packages to make it easier and cheaper for Pearl Jam fans to attend the Europe shows of their choice. The more people who are interested, the bigger travel discounts I can negotiate.

My credentials: I've been in travel my entire career including being a travel agent and running the website EuropeUpClose.com for 7 years. I'm also the founder of Fantrotter.com, a website specifically devoted to travel for live events, and last summer I made a documentary about PJ fans who traveled to be at the Wrigley Field show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSo_G1ROSrI

So you know I love PJ, I love travel, and I especially love travel for PJ! It would be a privilege to help fellow fans make their travel dreams come true.

I’d also be happy to just answer any travel-related questions. I have a plethora of tools at my disposal to quickly find out information about anything from international airfare routes to uncovering the best deals on hotels or house rentals near venues to the best way to get between cities in Europe.

As I mentioned, if I have some numbers to play with, I can also negotiate exclusive deals through the travel providers I work with. The same possibly goes for tickets since I have recently made connections in the ticket industry.

So if you are interested, please just send me a message on here or email me at mikec@fantrotter.com. If there is enough interest I will even set up an online system for people to create groups and we can track travel prices and preferences together.

I'm planning to be at as many shows as I can and hope to see some of you in Italy and The Netherlands at the very least!

Best,
Mike
Pearl Jam 2014 spring tour is now up on Fantrotter! http://www.fantrotter.com/pearl-jam-tickets-and-travel/2441//
Email: mikec@fantrotter.com
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    married couple travelling from ohio to Milan, Trieste, and Vienna... many people have already booked flights and hotels (myself included) i saw that others we booking already and didn't want to miss out!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Hi,
    thinking of driving from Milan to Tieste... then flying or taking the train from Trieste to Vienna and flying from Vienna to Berlin.
    haven't booked those in-between travels yet, not sure what the best options are... any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance, and see you in Milan

cheers
  • Options
    rgambs said:

married couple travelling from ohio to Milan, Trieste, and Vienna... many people have already booked flights and hotels (myself included) i saw that others we booking already and didn't want to miss out!

Hi rgambs,

I understand your FOMO! (fear of missing out)

Please let me know your preferred departure airport in Ohio, but I went ahead and and priced some packages and found the best deal from Columbus. There are flights with fewer connections but naturally would be a little more expensive. I would recommend taking the train between Milan and Trieste, and driving between Trieste and and Vienna, because that is a spectacular drive, but just let me know your comfort level with driving and any other transit preferences.

Below is a package itinerary that includes all flights, hotels and train tickets and car rental, departing on 6/18 and returning on 6/26. Of course, you may want to arrive earlier or stay longer, and I don't know your accommodations preferences yet, but I started by trying to keep costs down. All hotels are located near the venues.

Price for this package should come in at just under $5,000 for everything for you both.

We could also add hotel transfers, travel insurance and sightseeing options, and I could also help with your concert tickets.

Please feel free to private message me your email address and I will be happy to send you the itinerary in a much more readable format.

Thanks!
    Mike

International Flights

Departure

Leave Wed , JUN 18 1:30p from CMH, Columbus, OH
    Alitalia
    AZ-5915 Class:L Stop(s): 0
    Operated by: CHAUTAQUA FOR DELTA AIRLINES
    Arrive Wed , JUN 18 3:30p to JFK, New York,John F Kennedy, NY
    Connects to...
    Leave Wed , JUN 18 8:30p from JFK, New York,John F Kennedy, NY
    Alitalia
    AZ-605 Class:L Stop(s): 0
    Arrive Thu , JUN 19 10:40a to MXP, Milan Malpensa, IT

Return

Leave Thu , JUN 26 09:25a from VIE, Vienna, AT
    KLM Royal Dutch
    KL-1840 Class:L Stop(s): 0
    Arrive Thu , JUN 26 11:10a to AMS, Amsterdam AMS, NL
    Connects to...
    Leave Thu , JUN 26 1:30p from AMS, Amsterdam AMS, NL
    KLM Royal Dutch
    KL-641 Class:R Stop(s): 0
    Arrive Thu , JUN 26 3:30p to JFK, New York,John F Kennedy, NY
    Connects to...
    Leave Thu , JUN 26 6:20p from JFK, New York,John F Kennedy, NY
    KLM Royal Dutch
    KL-5818 Class:R Stop(s): 0
    Operated by: CHAUTAUQUA DBA DELTA CONNECTION
    Arrive Thu , JUN 26 8:20p to CMH, Columbus, OH

Hotels, Tours and Transportation

Milan
    Hotel | BEST WESTERN Hotel Astoria.
    19 Jun For: 2 Night/s Room: ROOM ONLY, DOUBLE 1 QUEEN BED,
    Rating 4 Stars

Transportation to next city | Train - TRN - Milan to Trieste | Transportation Details
    21 Jun To Next City Second Class - Morning Departure , 1 - 99 Pax ,
    One-way by train from Milan to Trieste with the Mainline Train.

Trieste
    Hotel | NH Trieste.
    21 Jun For: 2 Night/s Room: BED AND BREAKFAST, DOUBLE STANDARD,
    Rating 4 Stars

Car Rental | Car Details
    PickUp: Trieste, IT (Airport) on 6/23/2014 at 09:00AM
    DropOff: Vienna, AT (Airport) on 6/23/2014 at 09:00pM
    23 Jun Category: Manual transmission, CDW (Collision Damage Waiver); THP (Theft Protection),
    Child Seat: No Infant Seat: No
    Fiat Punto (or similar) with capacity for 4 passengers, is equipped with manual transmission, 4 doors, a/c, and radio. Not included: Deposit, drop-off charge, additional drivers, fuel. Price includes applicable taxes. Additional One Way Fee may apply.Car rental age restrictions apply within certain countries. Please inquire about age restrictions if you are under 25. (EDMR-2/TRS)

Vienna
    Hotel | Falkensteiner Hotel am Schottenfeld.
    23 Jun For: 3 Night/s Room: ROOM ONLY, DOUBLE STANDARD,
    Rating 4 Stars
    Pearl Jam 2014 spring tour is now up on Fantrotter! http://www.fantrotter.com/pearl-jam-tickets-and-travel/2441//
  • Options

Hi,
    thinking of driving from Milan to Tieste... then flying or taking the train from Trieste to Vienna and flying from Vienna to Berlin.
    haven't booked those in-between travels yet, not sure what the best options are... any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance, and see you in Milan

cheers

Hi Cinnamon Girl,

Please see my recommendation to rgambs for transit between cities, but absolutely, driving from Milan to Trieste and taking the train or flying from Trieste to Vienna are viable options. It really all just depends on your preferences. Sometimes I like taking the train if I don't want to worry about getting lost or getting in an accident in a foreign country, and train travel can be comfortable and a great way to see the countryside, but if I'm feeling more adventurous, I will absolutely drive! Nothing connects you to the local land and culture like driving. Or of course, flying is a perfectly viable option too, and in Europe flying can indeed be cheaper sometimes. I didn't check yet, but this actually probably the case for Vienna to Berlin.

It all depends on your budget and personal preferences! If you've never seen the Alps, I'd recommend driving or taking the train vs flying just for the beauty. Some of my favorite memories of traveling in Europe are just gazing out a car or train window at snowcapped mountains. (while listening to, perhaps, Immortality or Off He Goes)

If you would like to let me know what is most important to you, I'll make some specific recommendations. (budget, hassle, sightseeing etc) Feel free to email me: mikec@fantrotter.com

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Options
    fuchs77fuchs77 Germany Posts: 81
    The Car Rental from Trieste to Vienna is quite expansive. I think i will take the overnight Train. That also saves u the cost of a Hotel for that night.
    96 Hamburg, 00 Hamburg, 06 Berlin, 07 Hurricane Festival
    10 London, 12 Amsterdam I & II, Copenhagen,  13 London & Chicago
    14 Amsterdam, Mailand, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    15 Sao Paulo, Brasilia, Belo Horizonte, Rio
    18 Amsterdam, London², Prag, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
  • Options
    fuchs77 said:

The Car Rental from Trieste to Vienna is quite expansive. I think i will take the overnight Train. That also saves u the cost of a Hotel for that night.

Not with the deals I get :) True, renting a car would be a little more, but probably cost around $200 including gas vs around $150 for the train.
  • Options
    Need one or two 10c tickets to Milano, I can swap for Vienna a meybe Berlin show. Send me PM, if you are interested.
    Prague 2000, Berlin 2010, Prague 2012, Berlin I. 2012
    2014 EU TOUR: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin - done!!!
  • Options
    thank you Mike for your suggestions, I'll look at the calendar again and see what we want to do (drive, train, fly)

cheers
  • Options

thank you Mike for your suggestions, I'll look at the calendar again and see what we want to do (drive, train, fly)

cheers

OK sounds good!
  • Options
    Question on airfare to and from NY. I am flying from NYC to Amsterdam, Amsterdam to Milan and Milan to NY. I have picked out the flights I want to take just havent booked yet. Do you think this is the cheapest those flights will be? or will they drop a little in a month or so when they announce summer sales? As of now most sales are only through April.
  • Options
    tedeeruxpintedeeruxpin NJ Posts: 32
    Hi Mike,
    First off thank you so much for posting this! I'm in very early stages of planning my trip. As of now I have tickets for Milan, Trieste, Vienna, and Berlin. I'd also like to try to get Amsterdam but we'll see. Not sure if I'll be going to all these places as I'm still recruting travel buddies. I do know that I definitely want to do both Vienna and Berlin, I'm just concerned about them being back to back days. I've read your posts above and it seems like flying may be the best idea although I just checked flights and they are either super early (like 6 am) or later and I don't want to risk missing the show! What do you suggest?
  • Options
    I am traveling from DC to amsterdam. Is anybody using airbnb or do we have a group option for this city. Any extra tickets would be great. Traveling solo.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,799
    edited January 2014
    I do not have any tickets yet but would love to go to the Amsterdam shows as well as both in Italy. How would you recommend one to travel from the two countries? I would like to go to Rome from the Netherlands then make my way up to Milan. Also I know I am late on getting decent tickets but what are the best options to buy tickets second hand? I am from Canada btw.
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options

Question on airfare to and from NY. I am flying from NYC to Amsterdam, Amsterdam to Milan and Milan to NY. I have picked out the flights I want to take just havent booked yet. Do you think this is the cheapest those flights will be? or will they drop a little in a month or so when they announce summer sales? As of now most sales are only through April.

In general, it's better to book flights as far ahead of time as you can for the best price. It is possible that prices will drop, although it's impossible to know for sure. When I'm sensitive to price changes I often try to use Orbitz to book since they have a price guarantee: http://www.orbitz.com/mktg/Why-Book-on-Orbitz/

Orbitz will generally only work for international flights, which will be by far the most expensive. For Amsterdam to Milan, at least the flights shouldn't be too expensive or fluctuate too much. You could wait a little while longer for those, and I'd recommend setting a price alert on http://www.skyscanner.com/.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!
    Mike
  • Options

Hi Mike,
    First off thank you so much for posting this! I'm in very early stages of planning my trip. As of now I have tickets for Milan, Trieste, Vienna, and Berlin. I'd also like to try to get Amsterdam but we'll see. Not sure if I'll be going to all these places as I'm still recruting travel buddies. I do know that I definitely want to do both Vienna and Berlin, I'm just concerned about them being back to back days. I've read your posts above and it seems like flying may be the best idea although I just checked flights and they are either super early (like 6 am) or later and I don't want to risk missing the show! What do you suggest?

I would definitely suggest flying early. The 6:25am flight on June 26th def would be rough to make, but there's nothing more stressful than your flight getting delayed and thinking you might miss the show! There is also an 8:35am flight that would be more convenient, but it is $100 more expensive. Also some connecting flights available which should work, although again you'd be adding complication and potential delays.

Overnight train would be good if the timing was better, but it leaves at around 10pm so you'd have to miss part of the show :P

Not seeing any good late-night bus options either unfortunately.

The only other thing I would say is that if we get enough fans together we could charter a bus!
  • Options

I am traveling from DC to amsterdam. Is anybody using airbnb or do we have a group option for this city. Any extra tickets would be great. Traveling solo.

I could put a group together and help to find the right acommodations!
  • Options
    PJNB said:

I do not have any tickets yet but would love to go to the Amsterdam shows as well as both in Italy. How would you recommend one to travel from the two countries? I would like to go to Rome from the Netherlands then make my way up to Milan. Also I know I am late on getting decent tickets but what are the best options to buy tickets second hand? I am from Canada btw.

You could take an overnight train from Amsterdam to Rome, but since there are only a couple of days between the second Amsterdam show and the Milan show, I'd recommend flying so that you have some time to explore Rome. Then take a train to Milan, train to Venice, and fly back from there.

There are plenty of sites to find the best ticket prices secondhand but I can't name them all or tell you where the best prices are right now. I'd be happy to put a package together for you that includes all tickets, flights, transportation, accommodations and anything else you need. Then I could get into the research and give you specifics.
  • Options
    MC117772 said:

PJNB said:

You could take an overnight train from Amsterdam to Rome, but since there are only a couple of days between the second Amsterdam show and the Milan show, I'd recommend flying so that you have some time to explore Rome. Then take a train to Milan, train to Venice, and fly back from there.

There are plenty of sites to find the best ticket prices secondhand but I can't name them all or tell you where the best prices are right now. I'd be happy to put a package together for you that includes all tickets, flights, transportation, accommodations and anything else you need. Then I could get into the research and give you specifics.
    That would be awesome though the problem is I am not 100% going as of right now. I would hate for you to do all of that work only to have me find out in a couple of weeks that I can not go. It would be nice though to have an idea what kind of dollars we are talking about. Let me know how much of a hassle it would be then we can talk.

• Options
    PJNB said:

That would be awesome though the problem is I am not 100% going as of right now. I would hate for you to do all of that work only to have me find out in a couple of weeks that I can not go. It would be nice though to have an idea what kind of dollars we are talking about. Let me know how much of a hassle it would be then we can talk.

Totally understood, that's why I usually start with a quick plan and estimates, and as it looks more certain keep digging into the details. Just let me know your departure city and I'll put together the estimate.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    This is fantastic. I'm gonna email you in about a week with my dates!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

This is fantastic. I'm gonna email you in about a week with my dates!

OK!
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,520

airbnb it's great site..i use it everytime i'm travelling..i recommend it..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    MC117772 said:

In general, it's better to book flights as far ahead of time as you can for the best price. It is possible that prices will drop, although it's impossible to know for sure. When I'm sensitive to price changes I often try to use Orbitz to book since they have a price guarantee: http://www.orbitz.com/mktg/Why-Book-on-Orbitz/

Orbitz will generally only work for international flights, which will be by far the most expensive. For Amsterdam to Milan, at least the flights shouldn't be too expensive or fluctuate too much. You could wait a little while longer for those, and I'd recommend setting a price alert on http://www.skyscanner.com/.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!
    Mike
    Mike Thank you for the advice. I looked at Orbitz and they seem to only guarantee the rate for 1 day. I guess I just have to bite the bullet and book it.

On my last day in Italy I am going to lake Como. My plan it to take train and stay in a hotel in Como then explore the different towns on the lake. Do you recommend staying in Como or another town? I will have my luggage with me so I prefer dumping the bag somewhere and then explore.
    Thank you again!
  • Options
    MC117772 said:

PJNB said:

Totally understood, that's why I usually start with a quick plan and estimates, and as it looks more certain keep digging into the details. Just let me know your departure city and I'll put together the estimate.

Thanks,
    Mike
    I have the flight planned out there through our areoplan program with our Visa landing in either England than paying for a flight to Amsterdam or if we have enough points I will be going all the way to Amsterdam. I do not want to stay 3 nights in Amsterdam. If possible I would like to get away with 1 with the last night traveling to Rome possibly on a train/plane. I realize it is risky flying in on the day of the concert on the 16th and am guessing that the best bet is to fly out on the 18th meaning I will need a hotel for the 17th and the 16th/18th possibly depending on flight times.
    We do not need anything high class just a place to rest our heads and somewhere that is near sites/Dome. The plan is to go to Rome and stay until the 20th which we would then travel to Milan for the show. Then we would either stay at a hotel in Milan or catch a train to Venice that night. We would stay in Venice until the 22nd in which we would head over to Trieste. From Trieste we would then head home. What would the best route be to catch a flight back to New Brunswick, Canada? Thanks for the help in advance! If it is easier to do this through email let me know and I will send one your way.
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Hi ...
    I am planning a trip to see relatives and will fly from Vancouver to Verona ... visit relatives ... take the train from Bolzano to Vienna, and then fly from Vienna to Vancouver. I've been looking into flights (and unfortunately the prices are a bit higher than expected). I have some questions for you, if you have a few minutes ...
    - Should I book asap for better prices? My fear in booking too far in advance is that the flight times change, and I get stuck with some horrendously long layover time. (This just happened to me when my trip to visit a friend in April will get me a 5 hour layover in Houston after the flight times were changed).
    - The best flight (price & duration) seems to be via London, but it involves an airport change from heathrow to gatwick. Any thoughts?
    - Should I buy my train ticket in advance online, or ask my cousin in Italy to buy it for me?

Many thanks.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options

Mike Thank you for the advice. I looked at Orbitz and they seem to only guarantee the rate for 1 day. I guess I just have to bite the bullet and book it.

On my last day in Italy I am going to lake Como. My plan it to take train and stay in a hotel in Como then explore the different towns on the lake. Do you recommend staying in Como or another town? I will have my luggage with me so I prefer dumping the bag somewhere and then explore.
    Thank you again!

Ohh yes I see that now on Orbitz.com. Hmm they must have changed that pretty recently. Too bad.

As for Lake Como, it's a beautiful area and there are many options around Como itself. Which town you might like depends on your preferences. Check out this article on my Europe website first and let me know your thoughts: http://www.europeupclose.com/article/italys-lake-como-spectacular-villas-gardens-and-active-sports/
  • Options
    PJNB said:

I have the flight planned out there through our areoplan program with our Visa landing in either England than paying for a flight to Amsterdam or if we have enough points I will be going all the way to Amsterdam. I do not want to stay 3 nights in Amsterdam. If possible I would like to get away with 1 with the last night traveling to Rome possibly on a train/plane. I realize it is risky flying in on the day of the concert on the 16th and am guessing that the best bet is to fly out on the 18th meaning I will need a hotel for the 17th and the 16th/18th possibly depending on flight times.
    We do not need anything high class just a place to rest our heads and somewhere that is near sites/Dome. The plan is to go to Rome and stay until the 20th which we would then travel to Milan for the show. Then we would either stay at a hotel in Milan or catch a train to Venice that night. We would stay in Venice until the 22nd in which we would head over to Trieste. From Trieste we would then head home. What would the best route be to catch a flight back to New Brunswick, Canada? Thanks for the help in advance! If it is easier to do this through email let me know and I will send one your way.

Yes, this would be easier to plan via email, please send me an email at mikec@fantrotter.com

Thanks,
    Mike

• Options

Hi ...
    I am planning a trip to see relatives and will fly from Vancouver to Verona ... visit relatives ... take the train from Bolzano to Vienna, and then fly from Vienna to Vancouver. I've been looking into flights (and unfortunately the prices are a bit higher than expected). I have some questions for you, if you have a few minutes ...
    - Should I book asap for better prices? My fear in booking too far in advance is that the flight times change, and I get stuck with some horrendously long layover time. (This just happened to me when my trip to visit a friend in April will get me a 5 hour layover in Houston after the flight times were changed).
    - The best flight (price & duration) seems to be via London, but it involves an airport change from heathrow to gatwick. Any thoughts?
    - Should I buy my train ticket in advance online, or ask my cousin in Italy to buy it for me?

Many thanks.

Hi,

For the most part, for international airfare, it is almost always better to book well in advance. Flight times generally do not change and prices generally do go up. For domestic airfare it can be likely that a fare sale will pop up within 5 weeks of the departure date, but not so much for intl.

Transferring from Heathrow to Gatwick is doable but is really a pain and if you don't have plenty of time it could be stressful. I don't recommend it. Feel free to email me the flight you're looking at and I'll see if I can find a better option: mikec@fantrotter.com

If your cousin can buy the train ticket for you, that is probably a better way to go and probably will be cheaper. Buying online is only preferred if you just want the peace of mind that the details are correct and it is all paid for.

Best,
    Mike
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Any chance of 10C members chartering a bus from Milan to Trieste? That would be a blast! or am I missing a thread..lol.

My wife and I are going to both shows in Amsterdam, then both shows in Italy. Our first PJ Tour in Europe!
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    fuchs77fuchs77 Germany Posts: 81
    myoung321 said:

Any chance of 10C members chartering a bus from Milan to Trieste? That would be a blast! or am I missing a thread..lol.

My wife and I are going to both shows in Amsterdam, then both shows in Italy. Our first PJ Tour in Europe!

Haven't heard of a Fan bus yet. There is only a Bus going from Vienna to Berlin arranged by fans. I will take the train from Mailand to Triest.

96 Hamburg, 00 Hamburg, 06 Berlin, 07 Hurricane Festival
    10 London, 12 Amsterdam I & II, Copenhagen,  13 London & Chicago
    14 Amsterdam, Mailand, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    15 Sao Paulo, Brasilia, Belo Horizonte, Rio
    18 Amsterdam, London², Prag, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona