Looking for a recording device.

Hey there gear heads, I'm looking for something to record myself playing guitar. I'd appreciate any suggestions considering the following:

-To be perfectly honest, I'm an idiot when it comes to electronic gadgets so ease of use is big. Also, not having to read 150 pages of instructions would help. Again, easier is better.

-I hugely prefer analog to digital but sharing analog means making tapes and most of my friends don't have tape players anymore. So a better digital sound with good sampling rate is important.

-I'd like something that makes better good quality recordings- certainly better quality than a cell phone.

-I'd like to keep the costs down but don't want cheap either.

Thanks for suggestion- much appreciated!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Do you have a Ipad, Iphone any I device?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Are you looking to mic your guitar, or use software that has amp modeling?
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,740
    No, no iPad, no iPhone. And yes, I live in a cave. image

No, not a mic for the guitar or amp modeling. Just a good sounding, easy to use, easy to transfer to CD or computer recording device. I used to record onto a cassette tape but I'm trying to get into the 21st century. image
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• I'm a bit confused. So you want to record but not use a mic? What kind of music are you trying to record? I'm guessing you singing and playing an acoustic?

I'm a bit confused. So you want to record but not use a mic? What kind of music are you trying to record? I'm guessing you singing and playing an acoustic?

Yes, exactly- me playing acoustic and singing. I used to record my self on a small portable cassette recorder and now I want to do the same only digitally so I can make CDs or transfer to my computer or a thumb drive.

• Okay, so then you are probably looking to get a portable recording device. I think they range from anywhere to 50 bucks to aa crap ton. As much as I hate referring people to guitar center or muscicians friend, you can check their online catalogue. Just search for portable recoding devices. Most will record mp3 or wav format, and the more expensive ones flac.
  • It sounds like you would be best served using either one of two routes:

1) Use a stand-alone "field recorder". This is probably most similar to the portable cassette recorder you would have used in the past, but they now record digitally onto small drives, so you can then transfer the digital files onto your computer. They have small microphones built into the device, so you just set it in front of whatever you want to record and push the button and go. When you're done, you plug into a computer via USB cable and load the file. You can pick one up for $100-150 pretty easy, although there are more expensive options.

2) The slightly more complicated option would be to purchase a USB microphone that plugs straight into the computer. You would need some sort of recording software, like Garageband, to record with. These mics are a bit cheaper, from $50 on up. It's a bit more complicated setup with software involved, and it's not as portable (since you would always need your computer), but it's possible to get slightly better results this way. Also, you could use multi-tracking if that ever appealed to you, where you can add layers on top of what you've already recorded.

Since I told you there are two options, I'll add a third...
    3) Get a USB-powered recording interface, a separate mic, a few cables and a mic stand. This will all cost you more money, but the options to flesh out ideas are virtually endless. The interface will cost $100-200, the mic will cost $100-200, and the cables and a mic stand will put you back maybe $100. Again, you would use your computer and software to record with. Much more complicated than the previous options, but waaaay more powerful and with waaay more options you can use to flesh out ideas.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.

It sounds like you would be best served using either one of two routes:

1) Use a stand-alone "field recorder". This is probably most similar to the portable cassette recorder you would have used in the past, but they now record digitally onto small drives, so you can then transfer the digital files onto your computer. They have small microphones built into the device, so you just set it in front of whatever you want to record and push the button and go. When you're done, you plug into a computer via USB cable and load the file. You can pick one up for $100-150 pretty easy, although there are more expensive options.

2) The slightly more complicated option would be to purchase a USB microphone that plugs straight into the computer. You would need some sort of recording software, like Garageband, to record with. These mics are a bit cheaper, from $50 on up. It's a bit more complicated setup with software involved, and it's not as portable (since you would always need your computer), but it's possible to get slightly better results this way. Also, you could use multi-tracking if that ever appealed to you, where you can add layers on top of what you've already recorded.

Since I told you there are two options, I'll add a third...
    3) Get a USB-powered recording interface, a separate mic, a few cables and a mic stand. This will all cost you more money, but the options to flesh out ideas are virtually endless. The interface will cost $100-200, the mic will cost $100-200, and the cables and a mic stand will put you back maybe $100. Again, you would use your computer and software to record with. Much more complicated than the previous options, but waaaay more powerful and with waaay more options you can use to flesh out ideas.

Hey man, thanks! I think I like option one. Considering my hopes to find something easy to use (remembering I'm a bit electronics challenged) do you have any suggestions as to brand and model in that rather good sounding price range of $100-$150?

• MT132914MT132914 Posts: 188
    acoustic guitar and singing, this sounds like what you are looking for. Inbuilt mics, and very easy to use. can record at 24/96 resolution all for $100.
    http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/TAS-DR-05
    edited January 2014
    MT132914 said:

acoustic guitar and singing, this sounds like what you are looking for. Inbuilt mics, and very easy to use. can record at 24/96 resolution all for $100.
    http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/TAS-DR-05

Hey, thanks. That link has a link to a good review of the Tascam. Looks like a strong contender.

• For what you're looking to do, Id also recomend a portable field recorder. I own a Zoom H2N and absolutely love it for recording acoustic guitar and vocal. Simple to use and easy to transfer files to computer for editing. I picked one up over a year ago for $149.99 on Ebay. For something a little cheaper they also make the Zoom H1...which also records in stereo. You cant go wrong with either one.

Thanks, chorduroy, I'll check it out.

• jopetto75jopetto75 Posts: 397
    edited January 2014
    the tascam DR07 has been good to me for the past 5 yrs
    until next time......
    jopetto75 said:

the tascam DR07 has been good to me for the past 5 yrs

DO you know the advantages of the DR-07 over the DR-05? Thanks!

• jopetto75jopetto75 Posts: 397
    I have never used the DR-05 sry can't help you on that one.
    good luck
    keep on recording in the free world
    until next time......
  • bchagnonbchagnon Posts: 164
    edited January 2014
    Tascam DP-008

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002YNY8GI?cache=1390431736&pi=SX200_QL40#ref=mp_s_a_1_2

That's mine and I love it. Highly recommended.
    Post edited by bchagnon on

"Leave it to me as I find a way to be.
    Consider me a satellite forever orbiting.
    I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me.
    Guaranteed."