Options

oh I forgot

13»

Comments

• Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't blame the mods or 10C for this at all. They are just doing what EV requested, presumably. I admit, I do not understand why Eddie is strict about his solo stuff given the position he used to have about this stuff, but hey... it's his work and it's his right to try and keep people from taking it without paying.

^^^This has always struck me as odd too, but I respect it. Also, I believe, that it has everything to do with the epidemic of cell phones. I couldn't imagine being on stage and seeing 50% of the crowd holding up these little light boxes. I would probably get very nervous, distracted and pissed. These reasons are why I believe Eddie bans them, and why 10C doesn't allow them on here, which would kind of be like condoning a behavior that EV doesn't appreciate, in which case I completely understand. I deeply feel it has less to do with money (realistically most of us fans devour whatever they sell, so money cant be the motive) and more to do with EV sharing with "us". Which is why the EV Walkman reference is completely different then the videos.

What is really confusing and disappointing is everyone bashing another member. I can't agree with everyone, but leave the man alone...

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    edited January 2014
    There's a lot of shit I did when I was 14 that I wouldn't do now. Let it go.

You are a visitor to this forum. Whether you're a paying member or not, you agreed to their terms when you signed up. If if Ed, management and the site don't want you posting solo shows, that's their choice. As guests here, we follow or we can leave.

Now let's take three steps back and look at this. It's a video of Ed. No point getting all rowelled up over it. It's just a video. The earth will continue to spin. Let's move on.
    Post edited by Dead Man Walking on
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    oysterjar said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't blame the mods or 10C for this at all. They are just doing what EV requested, presumably. I admit, I do not understand why Eddie is strict about his solo stuff given the position he used to have about this stuff, but hey... it's his work and it's his right to try and keep people from taking it without
    paying.

^^^This has always struck me as odd too, but I respect it. Also, I believe, that it has everything to do with the epidemic of cell phones. I couldn't imagine being on stage and seeing 50% of the crowd holding up these little light boxes. I would probably get very nervous, distracted and pissed. These reasons are why I believe Eddie bans them, and why 10C doesn't allow them on here, which would kind of be like condoning a behavior that EV doesn't appreciate, in which case I completely understand. I deeply feel it has less to do with money (realistically most of us fans devour whatever they sell, so money cant be the motive) and more to do with EV sharing with "us". Which is why the EV Walkman reference is completely different then the videos.

What is really confusing and disappointing is everyone bashing another member. I can't agree with everyone, but leave the man alone...
    of course Eddie could just make MP3 downloads available after the show on the website, there we go problem solved
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,309
    Even though i agree as to why not let videos be shown here , i also don't give a crap about any solo Ed stuff ....I'm more pissed that my leaf doesn't walk anymore because of the new forum :((
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    ~O)
  • Options

Even though i agree as to why not let videos be shown here , i also don't give a crap about any solo Ed stuff ....I'm more pissed that my leaf doesn't walk anymore because of the new forum :((

• Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235

oysterjar said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't blame the mods or 10C for this at all. They are just doing what EV requested, presumably. I admit, I do not understand why Eddie is strict about his solo stuff given the position he used to have about this stuff, but hey... it's his work and it's his right to try and keep people from taking it without
    paying.

of course Eddie could just make MP3 downloads available after the show on the website, there we go problem solved
    +1

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544

PJ-Cubs said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't blame the mods or 10C for this at all. They are just doing what EV requested, presumably. I admit, I do not understand why Eddie is strict about his solo stuff given the position he used to have about this stuff, but hey... it's his work and it's his right to try and keep people from taking it without paying.

I get that but when you already have more money than you and your kids could ever hope to spend, don't really see the point, and Pearl Jam's resurgence is in part to all the free promotion they get from youtube videos

Again, it is not about the money for EV. It is about the experience that EV wants at his shows - an intimate gathering without cameras flashing and phones being held in the air to record the concert.
    I understand that part but if they do it and no one notices, why be so militant about removing them?
    I think Ed wants the evening to be like an evening with friends where he is loose and telling stories and having a good time. Those types of evenings last in our memories and we don't videotape them to relive.

Anyway, if Ed doesn't want video/audit from his shows, why the hell would the website let people post it and trade it (only reinforces the behavior).

• Options
    edited January 2014

PJ-Cubs said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't blame the mods or 10C for this at all. They are just doing what EV requested, presumably. I admit, I do not understand why Eddie is strict about
    his solo stuff given the position he used to have about this stuff, but hey... it's his work and it's his right to try and keep people from taking it without paying.

I get that but when you already have more money than you and your kids could ever hope to spend, don't really see the point, and Pearl Jam's resurgence is in part to all the free promotion they get from youtube videos

Again, it is not about the money for EV. It is about the experience that EV wants at his shows - an intimate gathering without cameras flashing and phones being held in the air to record the concert.
    I understand that part but if they do it and no one notices, why be so militant about removing them?
    I think Ed wants the evening to be like an evening with friends where he is loose and telling stories and having a good time. Those types of evenings last in our memories and we don't videotape them to relive.

Anyway, if Ed doesn't want video/audit from his shows, why the hell would the website let people post it and trade it (only reinforces the behavior).

kind of a little late there we already came to a workable solution, just make MP3 downloads available after each show, discussions evolve, you should try it sometime
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    Anyway, there have been a few people over the years on this board that seem to get in lengthy arguments on a routine basis. If it was me I would hope I don't think I'm so special that it is normal that I get in long arguments online on a regular basis. I would think perhaps I need to change my behavior.

If you are concerned about free speech, maybe focus your battles on something that matters (political/social free speech suppression) and not pick fights about a video of Eddie Vedder (where you probably have 1000's of hours of Eddie Vedder viewing on YouTube already).
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Anyway, there have been a few people over the years on this board that seem to get in lengthy arguments on a routine basis. If it was me I would hope I don't think I'm so special that it is normal that I get in long arguments online on a regular basis. I would think perhaps I need to change my behavior.

If you are concerned about free speech, maybe focus your battles on something that matters (political/social free speech suppression) and not pick fights about a video of Eddie Vedder (where you probably have 1000's of hours of Eddie Vedder viewing on YouTube already).

believe me I will be, I am going to have my own radio show, but I am a constantly evolving life force, and I will always challenge conventional wisdom because that is the only way to break through limits society has established, and truly be the best person you are meant to be and not the best person someone else thinks you should be

Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    This thread is way better than the title would indicate...

I'll side with Hank on this topic
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

This thread is way better than the title would indicate...

I'll side with Hank on this topic

I had to change it because I didn't want the video police taking off youtube because the only ones who lose then are the fans

• Options
    edited January 2014

believe me I will be, I am going to have my own radio show, but I am a constantly evolving life force, and I will always challenge conventional wisdom because that is the only way to break through limits society has established, and truly be the best person you are meant to be and not the best person someone else thinks you should be

This thread is about an Eddie Vedder YouTube clip and you post a comment like that. Wow. You take yourself way too seriously.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

PJ-Cubs said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't blame the mods or 10C for this at all. They are just doing what EV requested, presumably. I admit, I do not understand why Eddie is strict about
    his solo stuff given the position he used to have about this stuff, but hey... it's his work and it's his right to try and keep people from taking it without paying.

kind of a little late there we already came to a workable solution, just make MP3 downloads available after each show, discussions evolve, you should try it sometime
    What if the solution to Eddie is that he doesn't want the MP3 downloads out there? Reading comprehension. Try it sometime. What if his intentions are to make it a one time only, intimate evening with the people in the room.

Do you respect Eddie? Are you entitled to hear music from a show you weren't at? Is that birthright, or just your self-entitlement?

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options

Exactly! Which is why they aren't selling the PJ20 shows.
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    I suspect you are a very unhappy person, Hank. That is too bad. I hope that you find some sort of inner peace.
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

I don't buy it. They sold Benaroya. Definitely intimate and special. It was a once in a lifetime show.

Anyway, I'm not going to bitch about EV. I did all of that bitching years ago during his first solo tour. I don't understand it, and have stopped caring or paying attention to his solo stuff completely. Not interested in his solo work, his vids, his audio. Just PJ and the other guys' side projects for me.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

I don't buy it. They sold Benaroya. Definitely intimate and special. It was a once in a lifetime show.

Anyway, I'm not going to bitch about EV. I did all of that bitching years ago during his first solo tour. I don't understand it, and have stopped caring or paying attention to his solo stuff completely. Not interested in his solo work, his vids, his audio. Just PJ and the other guys' side projects for me.

Yeah, I get that.

Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I think some have over the top obsessions and need to admit it to themselves. When people want to hear Eddie's 150th performance of You've Got to Hide Your Love Away from the Hawaii private party show this year there is a problem. Newsflash: It sounds like the first 149! Take it from a guy named Bootlegger. I've learned.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    jeffbr said:

I buy it. Benaroya was a charity event and every CD, vinyl boxset, poster, et. al., had a piece go back to the organization funds were being raised for. PJ20 was for the fans who hightailed it up to bumblefuck Wisconsin for the weekend and will only see the light of day once the band retires and is living off the bootleg money.

This discussion has been closed.