Options

PJ Bootleg Review Blog (Columbia 2016 Review Added!)

Comments

• Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I have 2 bootleg coupons I'm going to use. I went to 5 of the last 6 shows of the 2nd leg and was torn between picking two of Oakland, Vancouver and Spokane.

Is Oakland really that bad? I had a blast at the show and live it seemed In Thin Air and Big Wave sounded amazing, but like you said bootlegs don't always sound as good as the show seems live.

Looks like I'll wait and purchase van and spk.
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    Red Lukin said:

I have 2 bootleg coupons I'm going to use. I went to 5 of the last 6 shows of the 2nd leg and was torn between picking two of Oakland, Vancouver and Spokane.

Is Oakland really that bad? I had a blast at the show and live it seemed In Thin Air and Big Wave sounded amazing, but like you said bootlegs don't always sound as good as the show seems live.

Looks like I'll wait and purchase van and spk.

I am not taking a shot towards your live experience, being there at Oakland had to be fun. But as a boot, it didn't hold up well at all. If you're limited but can wait until Van. and Spk., I would wait. Thin Air and Big Wave were somewhat rough to be sure.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Hey it's cool. I like reading honest reviews. Plus I just saw another post/thread saying how bad the boot was. Too be honest I sometimes like sloppy shows. It just gives the show a different flavour. But Van and Spk were amazing shows so thanks for the review. I think I'll wait.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

I like that you notice stuff like cracking/poor vocals. Sometimes I feel like fans just don't even hear stuff like that from what I read around here. Quality is a big thing when you're listening to the bootlegs, I'm sure that stuff is less noticed in person at a show with everything going on but on a bootleg it is so obvious to my ears. I actually think that sometimes Eddie LIKES the way his voice sounds when it's cracking, like unpolished, punk quality stuff. I don't get it. From what I've heard so far in 2013 though, Ed's voice is overall a nice improvement compared to the 2008-2012 years.

I have only read a couple of your reviews so far but it seems like you have good musician ears. :) I finally downloaded Amsterdam 2 a couple months ago and though the set list is neat and everything, I thought the performance/quality was borderline awful on a lot of the songs. It wasn't a mistake here or there, it just sounded bad. Most overrated "classic" show I have listened to. Guess you had to be there.

I was at Phoenix and I get what your'e saying but to me that sort of random flow is what made the show so unique and unusual. The first encore was mostly Lost Dogs, it was amazing. I thought Yellow Moon in the middle of the main set was a surprise, not necessarily a negative. Anyway, I'm interested to read more of your reviews as I work backward. Thanks for the blog.

Also matters what how you are listening to these. A quality pair of headphones makes a world of difference. I have to say even the MP3 versions sound great & I'm not a big MP3 supporter. Every one of these 13' shows is outstanding. Every one. They bring it every night & so good to hear the band clearly enjoying themselves. I grew up as a teen on angry, pure raw emotion Pearl Jam and while the 93-95 years are always gonna be my favourite, I just love the band and that they are still out there making records & touring. We are very lucky fans & while we all have our own opinions, I really think everyone on here owes it to themselves to listen to every 13' show if possible (with decent cans) & hear what I'm talking about!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I really enjoyed reading your reviews for the shows I attended (Phx-SD-LA1-LA2-OAK). I also bought these boots and gave them a good listen. After reliving these shows, I think the "flow" aspect is less important to me. For example, I really enjoyed Yellow Moon in the middle of the set in PHX. And the cracking voice doesn't bother me at all. If I wanted a super clean version, I'd listen to the studio version.

With all that said, I couldn't agree more about your LA2 review. Pretty much nailed it. It was just an odd show overall. And as you said, Oakland wasn't much better.

Personally, I think Phoenix is a great boot and the best of the 5. LA1 rocked but the Phoenix setlist had so much diversity. To each their own.

Again, thanks for taking the time to do your reviews. Great job.
    1995: San Francisco, San Diego
    2000: Phoenix
    2008: Camden 2
    2009: San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2
    2010: MSG 1, MSG 2
    2011: Alpine 1, Alpine 2
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Wrigley, Phoenix, San Diego, LA1, LA2, Oakland
    2014: Denver
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1
  • Options

I really enjoyed reading your reviews for the shows I attended (Phx-SD-LA1-LA2-OAK). I also bought these boots and gave them a good listen. After reliving these shows, I think the "flow" aspect is less important to me. For example, I really enjoyed Yellow Moon in the middle of the set in PHX. And the cracking voice doesn't bother me at all. If I wanted a super clean version, I'd listen to the studio version.

With all that said, I couldn't agree more about your LA2 review. Pretty much nailed it. It was just an odd show overall. And as you said, Oakland wasn't much better.

Personally, I think Phoenix is a great boot and the best of the 5. LA1 rocked but the Phoenix setlist had so much diversity. To each their own.

Again, thanks for taking the time to do your reviews. Great job.

I appreciate you taking the time to read them, and being sincerely respectful even while disagreeing a little. That means a lot to me and the guys writing these reviews. I know Ian and Brandon appreciate the peaceful differences we all have in boot listening. The differences are what makes it interesting. Other than flow, I agree though, Phoenix is a fine gig.

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Portland 2013 review is posted. A fine bootleg and superbly enjoyable.

http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/2014/03/portland-2013.html

• Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806

I have only read a couple of your reviews so far but it seems like you have good musician ears. :) I finally downloaded Amsterdam 2 a couple months ago and though the set list is neat and everything, I thought the performance/quality was borderline awful on a lot of the songs. It wasn't a mistake here or there, it just sounded bad. Most overrated "classic" show I have listened to. Guess you had to be there.

I was there and I think you are right,You had to be there to get it.
    The magic of the night isn't to be fully found on the bootleg.
    I don't feel it is as bad as you say, but there are lots of moments that make me understand what you mean.
    I came out of the room saying it was my best Pearl jam night. I kept that feeling until I heard the bootleg.
    I feel alot of those party shows don't make a great bootleg. Philly 4 2009 has a great vibe but it's also full of mistakes
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options

I really think everyone on here owes it to themselves to listen to every 13' show if possible (with decent cans) & hear what I'm talking about!

If only that was possible. :D

2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525

I was there and I think you are right,You had to be there to get it.
    The magic of the night isn't to be fully found on the bootleg.
    I don't feel it is as bad as you say, but there are lots of moments that make me understand what you mean.
    I came out of the room saying it was my best Pearl jam night. I kept that feeling until I heard the bootleg.
    I feel alot of those party shows don't make a great bootleg. Philly 4 2009 has a great vibe but it's also full of mistakes
    Always felt Amsterdam 2 was vastly over-rated in terms of the boot and really the set. I didn't find it that rare and there is certainly rarer setlists out there. But I'd also agree on the Philly boots, as an event they are great but the shows themselves are full of errors. 'Marquee' shows tend to be this way, like you say it's a party atmosphere. What the bootlegs tend to do is find those errors you don't hear whilst at the gig.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    boyo79 said:

Always felt Amsterdam 2 was vastly over-rated in terms of the boot and really the set. I didn't find it that rare and there is certainly rarer setlists out there. But I'd also agree on the Philly boots, as an event they are great but the shows themselves are full of errors. 'Marquee' shows tend to be this way, like you say it's a party atmosphere. What the bootlegs tend to do is find those errors you don't hear whilst at the gig.

It all most makes you wish for a short setlist. :D
    The Amsterdam boot we agree on. It wasn't a standout bootleg. It has some stronger moments, but overal it is a quite rough.
    I have read earlier that you also don't care too much for the setlist.
    You offered New Castle in comparision. While I agree with the New Castle show being special, I also like the setlist of Amsterdam.
    I think the guy did a good job. Had I've been given the oppertunity I certainly would have done a few things differently.
    In the end it all comes down to personal taste.
    For me it offered 9 songs I haddened heard live before and songs that are played more often were just the ones I really like. Once, I got Id, Release, Rearviewmirror are always fine by me. The evening had quite a few wow moments.
    I surely wouldn't have minded Red mosquito, Master of war, Undone, Whipping and Down at Amsterdam though.

2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    Spokane 2013 added. Not exactly my favorite bootleg, but not the bottom of the barrel for 2013. Fun show, but somewhat lackluster boot.

http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/2014/03/spokane-2013.html

• Options
    Damn I was really looking forward to this one.
    I had picked it to be the one from the last five that I would buy a CD of.
    No matter from the setlists and what I've read about the shows this was going to be a difficult pick.
    So the Spokane boot not being as good as the night itself makes it easier for me to choose. :D

2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    I listened to the Spokane boot today and as I didn't go to the show there was nothing to compare against but it sounded awesome. The setlist is awesome(still pissed at myself for passing on going to this show) will have to purchase the download now at the least still might get the CDs.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    Calgary 2013 is posted. Another one I'm in no hurry to get back to anytime soon. I should have Vancouver reviewed by tonight or early tomorrow afternoon.
    http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/2014/03/calgary-2013.html

• Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525

Calgary 2013 is posted. Another one I'm in no hurry to get back to anytime soon. I should have Vancouver reviewed by tonight or early tomorrow afternoon.
    http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/2014/03/calgary-2013.html

Poor mixing/performance/setlist or boot fatigue? I know I suffer from boot fatigue when I do too many shows in a row!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    I'm just starting to feel boot fatigue, but its not enough to stop from me reviewing Vancouver and Seattle. I'm almost finished with main set Vancouver and its drawing me in nicely. After these two shows, I wouldn't expect a review from me for at least a week lol. I plan on revisiting Spokane and a few others that left me with mixed feelings sometime in the future. If it changes my mind on second listen, Ill update and edit my reviews. I'm trying to keep focus on performance. Calgary had too many technical problems and errors for my liking. Its like after the 12th song, something was lost.

• Options
    I agree about the Calgary boot it was ok but it just didn't sound like it was on the same level as the two shows proceeding it or the two shows postdating it. Kinda bummed about that was hoping for a clean sweep of awesome from Portland to Seattle.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options

I agree about the Calgary boot it was ok but it just didn't sound like it was on the same level as the two shows proceeding it or the two shows postdating it. Kinda bummed about that was hoping for a clean sweep of awesome from Portland to Seattle.

I loved Portland, it was just an all around pleasant listen. Spokane had a few too many errors for my liking, but it was a definitely a fun show. Calgary seems like it as lacking bite or energy at times. I'm on Porch in Vancouver, and the main set as a whole is basically top 10 of 2013 worthy (basically looking at the #10 spot in my ranking right now). Ed's quick fumble in Breakerfall is the only distraction really, otherwise a solid performance.

• Options
    The Breakerfall fumble was due to a technical error he was trying to get it sorted and keep rockin a great song...just an FYI he fumbles on Betterman to but his excuse is sweet enough that he can be forgiven :)

• Options

The Breakerfall fumble was due to a technical error he was trying to get it sorted and keep rockin a great song...just an FYI he fumbles on Betterman to but his excuse is sweet enough that he can be forgiven :)

I'll put that in the review about Breakerfall. Thanks for the heads up!

• Options
    I went to watch some videos from Vancouver 13. They were ON and rocking. Damn. When I see that, it releases some boot fatigue too. I may critique the hell out of their performances but they certainly are passionate about their work. I really wish we had bootleg videos and not just audio.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Vancouver 13 was a really good show. Several great versions of some rarities and good vibes all around. Competent performance mostly.
    http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/2014/03/vancouver-2013.html

• Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Hats up to you guys for this collection of bootleg reviews. I always enjoyed to read review of yours, all 3. Even if I don't agree with you in a number of cases. For example, London 2009 is a killer bootleg in my eyes, I wouldn't even call it a bootleg, it's like PJ is teaching how to do live rock'n roll.

Anyways, I really spend a lot of limited time of mine on listening to PJ bootlegs, even if I am not capable with coming up with putting it to good wording, like you guys are doing. So what you are doing is really important to me guys. Your reviews have always been a guide.

I agree that listening to 2013 US tour is just a treat. Even if you the realize the errors in performances here and there, you just have to respect how much effort the boys are putting in, it is even visible from boots.

Personally, my favorites are Philadelphia bootlegs, especially the 2nd night.

I just hope you'll be around to review the 2014 Europe tour, where I am planning on to join for 4 shows. :)

Thanks.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    jumbojet said:

Hats up to you guys for this collection of bootleg reviews. I always enjoyed to read review of yours, all 3. Even if I don't agree with you in a number of cases. For example, London 2009 is a killer bootleg in my eyes, I wouldn't even call it a bootleg, it's like PJ is teaching how to do live rock'n roll.

Anyways, I really spend a lot of limited time of mine on listening to PJ bootlegs, even if I am not capable with coming up with putting it to good wording, like you guys are doing. So what you are doing is really important to me guys. Your reviews have always been a guide.

I agree that listening to 2013 US tour is just a treat. Even if you the realize the errors in performances here and there, you just have to respect how much effort the boys are putting in, it is even visible from boots.

I just hope you'll be around to review the 2014 Europe tour, where I am planning on to join for 4 shows. :)

Thanks.

I hope you have a blast at the 4 shows! I'm jealous :) Thanks for reading our reviews, even when our views may differ. There's really no right or wrong way to go about judging a boot. It's all preference in the end. But I know we 3 hope the blog can be used as a loose guide or answer some questions fans may have before they buy a boot.

I too really enjoyed Philly night 2 13. I need to give night 1 another try.

• Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    edited March 2014
    jumbojet said:

Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words and for the feedback my friend. That's the beauty of PJ boot listening - you can have many different views and in the end it all comes down to personal preference. We all go about judging and dissecting a boot differently.

The intent of this blog is help provide a decent guide for bootleg listening and to help if maybe you are thinking about buying a specific bootleg, and hopefully provide some pleasurable reading if you're as big of a bootleg junkie like we are. I've been behind on my reviews lately, but plan on having the remainder of the 2012 finished within the next week or so (2 shows left to review - Atlanta and Missoula). TamaDrummer91 and boyo79 have done a remarkable job reviewing the 2013 boots. Waiting to receive my 2013 box set, and hopefully short after all 3 of us will have all of the 2013 boots reviewed.

Thanks again for the feedback - it's always much appreciated and taken sincerely. The three of us reviewing greatly appreciate it.
    Post edited by YLed2 on
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    heyjoseheyjose Melbourne, Australia Posts: 503
    Thanks so much for this! I've spent a lot on boots, can't help myself, and while I appreciate the awesome sound quality, I miss the presence of the crowd like it was on the 06 boots. Surely something can be done?! Anyway, your blog is definitely a big help. Thanks again.

Started a thread up about it here:

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/230417/low-crowd-noise-on-boots-reduces-the-enjoyment
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney

• Options
    As odd as LA2 was, I have to say that I actually think the boot sounds pretty damn good! Obviously LA1 was the better night but they were both awesome - as they were live!!
  • Options
    Seattle 13 review is here. A bit better than Vancouver, and Seattle ranks in my top 10 from 2013.
    http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/2014/03/seattle-2013.html

My reflections and rankings of the entire 2013 LB tour will be posted here in the next week or so. Only a couple weeks basically until 2014 boots start rolling out!

• Options
    gunter1976gunter1976 Posts: 587
    Much obliged for the passion and effort you guys are putting in. I very very much enjoy these reviews and find these thoughtful and well balanced, providing valuable suggestions for the rest of us bootleg junkies. It will give me a chance to focus and catch up, since I am pretty much hooked on the Fugazi Live Series myself most of the time and have been slacking as far as PJ is concerned.

Cheers
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com