Rocksmith

I couldn't find a thread on this under M&G so....

I am 31 and picked up the guitar nearly a year ago. I learned some chords, read some tab, watched youtube videos etc and was able to pick some stuff up so that I could play around a campfire well enough. I just recently picked up Rocksmith and have learned a lot more and I am actually learning music as well. I was wondering if any of the pro's here had any feed back on this game and any suggestions. Cheers!

Wind this thing up.

Comments

• i have the original rocksmith. i have been playing for 20 years, been in bands for 16 years, and i have a hard time playing the game. the whole fretboard coming at me thing really throws me off. also, you have to play it like they play it on the game, which is not good for me becaue i play most of those songs at different places on the neck. it is a good learning tool for sure though. good luck!
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • oysterjaroysterjar Posts: 1,235
    Thanks for the feedback. This is what I was looking for. I adapted to the game after a while and I am using it as my gateway into experimenting with the guitar. Thanks.

Wind this thing up.

• I reeived the 2014 version for Christmas this year. I have played guitar a while but figured it would be a good way to learn some songs quickly. I like it so far. Anyone know a source to buy song packs for PJ songs?

I reeived the 2014 version for Christmas this year. I have played guitar a while but figured it would be a good way to learn some songs quickly. I like it so far. Anyone know a source to buy song packs for PJ songs?

I use Rocksmith on XBOX and there is a direct link for purchasing under Song Packs? If this isn't helpful I will find out tomorrow exactly what its under. What platform are you playing on?

Wind this thing up.

• XBox, but I am new to XBox and this game as well. I was looking for the link but maybe I have not set up an account right.
  • Yep I own the original. It was a difficult transition. I just learn songs a different way then the game teaches..
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    edited January 2014
    I like it a lot.

I found that learning primarily through Justin Guitar and Rock Prodigy (as well as looking at various online sources of info) feels like I am building a much better base. When I do Rocksmith, I typically bounce from song I like to song I like... then the get too difficult for me with chords I have never seen and rapid changes, and techniques I havent covered or done.

Taking it slow with better learning tools, and using Rocksmith to compliment that has been working well. Ill still mess around with it though on the weekends. Its good to get away from grinding and just learning how to switch dry chords and learning basic strumming patterns, etc.... it feels like you are playing something (and are). So its nice for that/ To break up the monotony.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    edited January 2014
    MayDay10 said:

I like it a lot.

I found that learning primarily through Justin Guitar and Rock Prodigy (as well as looking at various online sources of info) feels like I am building a much better base. When I do Rocksmith, I typically bounce from song I like to song I like... then the get too difficult for me with chords I have never seen and rapid changes, and techniques I havent covered or done.

Taking it slow with better learning tools, and using Rocksmith to compliment that has been working well. Ill still mess around with it though on the weekends. Its good to get away from grinding and just learning how to switch dry chords and learning basic strumming patterns, etc.... it feels like you are playing something (and are). So its nice for that/ To break up the monotony.

That is quite the instructional regiment! I checked out Justin guitar and forgot about it, I think I'll revisit it. Do you do any of the lessons/guitarcade other than playing the songs? Do you do the recommended lessons after each song? Sometimes I do, often I don't. I have found the same thing about the songs increasing difficulty. I put "Black" at 100 difficulty and it looked like a paint store exploded with all of the colors changing and flying by. Thanks for the input, good luck!

Wind this thing up.

Yes, I do. Im trying to stick to simple for awhile at first (Im figuring this wont be the typical game where you play for 3 months and move on)... Black on rhythm is good for a beginner and just 4 of the most basic chords. I also touch the tip of the iceburg on some of the lessons in the 101 category. Usually things I come across on JG or RP. Things like Accents 101 cant hurt. "sustains" is easy too, but seems to be crammed in there with whole notes and half notes in relationship to bars.

Things like "string skip saloon" and Ducks are great exercises too. Build familiarity with plucking the correct string and fret.

Im not sure if this one came with stickers or not, but the 1st one did. I would lose those, if not immediately, gradually.

After each song, it depends. Like I mentioned, I try to keep things at an easier lever. Anything harder than the bottom, maybe 5-10% of the songs, I just cant complete. My fingers just arent strong and agile enough yet. I will go to the Score Attack and try to get perfect on easy and medium, then try for hard. I only have 2 songs on Master: Black (R) and Next Girl (L). Angela is very close but I always trip up on the solo. I have a number of songs past medium. Just when all the notes are introduced and barre chords and such are exposed 100%, I just cant pass it (yet).

But I do see each time I play (I hit rocksmith on weekends), I do see improvement. Playing Rocksmith songs is kind of a motivation for me to learn "the right way".

With that said, it seems like a lot of people were able to learn on Rocksmith and went from a beginner when it was released to being able to play most songs now. I just wonder how applicable what players who learn 95-100% with Rocksmith are to playing in other environments, knowing any theory, maintaining rhythm with a metronome, etc.... Here is the forum. Good weekly challenges and whatnot.
    http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/151-Rocksmith-Guitar-amp-Bass?s=e7b8db7a78d8f054c8bed79c92ba299e

My regimen is: I have a list of all Justin Guitar lessons, Rock Prodigy Lessons, Rocksmith Songs/Lessons, and Bandfuse Songs/Lessons in excel. I put away $1 for each one I "master" by being near perfect/comfortable. This is to save up for gear and guitar(s) when I have enough (and that would ensure it wouldnt be a waste to buy a $1000 dust collector/clothes hanger).
    So I keep a composition book for each source and take notes on each lesson, log scores, etc. Also another book that I draw Chord boxes and probably write my own chord progressions and whatnot. I have my own little goals and whatnot each night. Ill practice from 20 minutes to 2 hours, based on my availability. Sometimes with RS I get lost in it for hours though.

So far, this has been going on since November. I have been motivated enough where I have practiced about 90% of nights (on a 10 day streak). Its very slow going though, especially in these beginning stages. You just have to remind yourself that this is a lifetime hobby and nobody is perfect and you will keep learning and progressing as long as you are playing.
    The "breakthroughs" feel really good.

Justinguitar by a good margin is the best instruction I have seen. The forums there add some more depth as well (they even have a Rocksmith forum there). I am sure a good in-person teacher is even better because you can get feedback, but I dont want to waste $ and time on the basics. I will consider some lessons later on to clean up any bad habits.

Im babbling.
    No that's all good info. I haven't talked to someone that received the recent motivation like I have. Its something I always wanted to do and be good at but never stuck with it. My parents both had guitars, my dad even has a 12 string acoustic but never really played. I hit 30 years old and, of course with enough musical influence, I said I am going to learn to play even if it kills me.

I first picked up a fender squier strat on craigslist with a 10w peavey amp. I fumbled through online stuff for a month and then swung by a music store for some beginner books. I talked to the guy for a while and he showed me some guitars. The had a squier telecaster that was the same color as the one my dad made, natural/butterscotch with a black pick guard, one like I played as a kid that my dad had made (long story but he made it with a skilled relative, his prized possession) I figured this was a motivator and I bought it. The neck was different and more comfortable so it made sense, and I paid $150 for it, $130 under MSRP. It needed some tweaking, string height, bridge etc, and I have played it often since. I'm glad I did. I love it and it plays better then my strat, which I have tried playing 5 times since and it just doesn't feel right.I

I try to play twice a day even if its just for 5 minutes a wack. Sometimes I take a few days off due to life, and sometimes I play for a few hours. I purchased the PJ song pack, and the Who song pack. PJ on rocksmith is to intricate on lead for me to master but I have improved a lot on Black and Jeremy. Black on rhythm is simple, as you stated, I was excited to see that (I was even able to burst out a few "doo-doo-doos while strumming!)

I like your goal setting method. I need to figure out what I want/need to accomplish I was a little distraught when Rocksmith didn't have one. A good sit in instructor would help, but like you said I am not paying for that right now, maybe later for some fine tuning. I am hoping to find someone to jam with who wants to adopt me as their guitar prodigy!

What are you playing on? What guitar would you buy if you could have any? I went to guitar center a few times since I started playing and was overwhelmed but talked to a few guys their. I played a Les Paul and a SG and fell in love with the feel of a Les Paul. I am saving for one of those as a motivator, like you had stated.

Id like to keep up with you, as another source of motivation, and see how you are doing. Good luck!

Wind this thing up.

Awesome guitar story.

I have an Epiphone acoustic I got as a gift a long time ago. I figured out its a little cheap and the action is too high which led to a lot of false starts in learning.

I blindly got one of those packs with a Squire Affinity. It seems OK. Adequate for learning, but I know I want to graduate from it ASAP. After researching it and some help from JGs lessons and forums, I would get a Yamaha Pacifica 112v to learn on. It seems like the most solid budget electric for a beginner.

I like the looks of Les Pauls, and generally feel attracted to wood-finish. I heard the neck is top heavy on LPs and some people dislike that. I figure by the time I "earn" enough funds, I will be able to confidently walk into a Guitar Center, plug in and try a bunch out. I have a friend who is a complete guitar nerd (for basses), who will gladly assist too.
    I have heard/read good things about the Yamahas. I think it was a best guitars under $500 list. Coincidentally I went to guitar center today to try and trade my strat for store credit. While waiting for the appraisal I played an SG and Les Paul again. The SG felt odd with the double cutaway at first, Les Paul it is, someday. The appraisal went worse then expected, even towards a trade in and not credit so I didn't pull the trigger.

I thought about what you said above and "confidently plugging in" and thought "shit Metallica is playing in the store right now, what flipping riff can I play to not look like an ass. I then immediately unplugged and played some different chords strumming rhythms etc. The squiers are good guitars for the money and I'll be playing mine for quite a while longer. Time to start saving for that LP!

Wind this thing up.