Options

Benaroya Hall - what buzz did it create in 2004 on here?

evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
edited January 2014 in Lost Dogs
For those that were there:
When Benaroya came out in 2004, did it create NEARLY the buzz Sevens did when it came & sold out? Do any of you recall the days following that release? Did it have a buzz on eBay like Sevens did??

My earliest recollection is from maybe in 2008 or something... when I saw a copy sell for $400-$500 on eBay and I almost shat.

Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    There was no Lost Dogs then. Not sure the forum search goes that far back?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

There was no Lost Dogs then. Not sure the forum search goes that far back?

I checked the forum search in 2013 (before it went A-Wall.... speaking of which: can anyone tell me why I can't perform a search on this new layout?? it's just.... it's all weird when I try searching for something. Nothing comes up but a "Next" button and there are no search results. I even searched for "Pearl Jam" and nothin came up. Is this WEAL LIFE??) and the earliest i could go was 2008 I think. I was really hoping to see what was being discussed on here after that release. My gut says "not much" but it'd be good to read some personal accounts. Anyone care to chime in?
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Buzz was not nearly the same. The things didnt sell out for 2 days, ....what was Sevens, 4 hours?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
    The Benaroya Hall vinyl is the reason there's so much hype around "limited" releases now. Everyone's looking for "the next Benny." (But it won't happen)
  • Options
    bonebone Posts: 498
    edited January 2014
    I seem to remember it selling out quite quickly considering the value of records at the time. Not like today where it would have taken minutes, but I thought they were gone within 24 hours or so. $50 for a vinyl that most people couldn't play back then seemed like a big deal. I remember having time to debate and finally took the plunge. Best decision I ever made in regards to music purchases.
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    bonebone Posts: 498
    edited January 2014
    The aftermarket on it took quite some time. Keep in mind back then everything on ebay was cheap becuase ebay still wasn't such a huge thing. It was more like a online garage sale as opposed to a major business venture for individuals to make a bunch of easy money.
    Post edited by bone on
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    Da kid remembers buying it early in the morning after work mind you there was no real buzz except for posters at the time and the aftermarket was minimal until maybe 3 months later it just skyrocketed in the aftermarket mind you there was no lost dogs on the forum at the time as well
    Let's Go Yanks!
    96)Randalls Island I,II
    98)NJ,MSG I,II
    00) Virginia Beach Jones Beach I,II,III Saratoga Springs Seattle I
    03)Nassau Camden I MSG I,II NJ
    04)Boston I,II Reading
    05)Montreal Ottawa Toronto Borgata I,II Philly
    06) Irving plaza Albany Hartford Camden I,II NJ I,II LA I,II Gorge I,II
    07)Lolla
    08)Roo Camden I,II MSG I,II Hartford Beacon
    09)Chicago I,II Philly II,III,IV
    10)Hartford Newark MSG I,II
    11)PJ20 I,II
    13)Wrigley Brooklyn I,II Hartford
    14)Moline,milwaukee
    15)Central Park
    16)MSG I,II
    17)Wrigley I,II
    18)Wrigley I,II
    22)MSG,Camden
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,828

Buzz was not nearly the same. The things didnt sell out for 2 days, ....what was Sevens, 4 hours?

It sold out in half a day. Well, what I can remember ...

Went on sale @ 2-3am Eastern Time. During my lunch break @ 11am, it was still available for sale. That afternoon it sold out.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    Vinyl has had a major resurgence in the past few years. It wasn't nearly as popular in 2004. It was very close to dead in fact. I think that would explain why there wasn't such a buzz when it came out.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    demetrios said:

Went on sale @ 2-3am Eastern Time. During my lunch break @ 11am, it was still available for sale. That afternoon it sold out.

I dont recall it being that short..hmm maybe I was wrong. Idc though, I bought my copy
    8-}
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775

demetrios said:

I dont recall it being that short..hmm maybe I was wrong. Idc though, I bought my copy
    8-}
    I remember it similarly, got mine in the afternoon and don't remember it lasting much longer than that.

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,828

demetrios said:

8-}
    I did too. :);)

• Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    I remember I bought mine after class so it would've been around 10-11A in the morning. I seem to remember the site crashing as well although I might be wrong about that. It's not like it's that uncommon of a thing to happen around here so perhaps I'm wrong.

I can't remember if there was any buzz about it either. At that time, I only had Vitalogy and Yield on vinyl. I found No Code on vinyl a few weeks later for $15.....siting next to Lost Dogs for $40. Got No Code but passed on LD. Can't win them all, I guess. Definitely one of my "you chose poorly" moment.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,431

I remember I bought mine after class so it would've been around 10-11A in the morning. I seem to remember the site crashing as well although I might be wrong about that. It's not like it's that uncommon of a thing to happen around here so perhaps I'm wrong.

I can't remember if there was any buzz about it either. At that time, I only had Vitalogy and Yield on vinyl. I found No Code on vinyl a few weeks later for $15.....siting next to Lost Dogs for $40. Got No Code but passed on LD. Can't win them all, I guess. Definitely one of my "you chose poorly" moment.

I feel terrible for you...

;)
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    scurtis said:

I feel terrible for you...

;)

I suppose if this belongs anywhere this would be the appropriate place....

"The haves have not a clue." ;):))
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 777
    I remember the option and settled on getting the CD as I didn't have the vinyl bug then. Also had no clue on how popular this would become. I remember only moderate interest in this, but I may have had selective attention since I was satisfied with the CD. I have both formats now thanks to our Lost Dogs forum.
  • Options

hahahaha! my mom scored this on dial up for me while i was at work. Wasnt the vinyl a 2005 release?

it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,845
    PJ_Soul said:

Vinyl has had a major resurgence in the past few years. It wasn't nearly as popular in 2004. It was very close to dead in fact. I think that would explain why there wasn't such a buzz when it came out.

Exactly. Plus that limited release proved you made make some dough flipping PJ items.

severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    I'll never forgive my mom for not loaning me $40 for that damn thing
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options

I'll never forgive my mom for not loaning me $40 for that damn thing

Child abuse.
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    edited January 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

Vinyl has had a major resurgence in the past few years. It wasn't nearly as popular in 2004. It was very close to dead in fact. I think that would explain why there sn't such a buzz when it came out.

I agree that vinyl is much more popular now however i would say that vinyl was certainly no where near dead in 2004, I would say that in the UK vinyl started becoming popular again before then. Bands like the white stripes, strokes, kings of leon etc were favoring vinyl. There were lots of 7 inch singles out but not as many LP reissues. Simply Vinyl were the big reissue label and even did ten.
    Post edited by FR181798 on
  • Options
    Benny is still the one, & we're still havin' fun, cos' you're still the one! :-j
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,152
    There was a little buzz. It was on sale for neary 2 days, but enough people were trying to order it that it caused issues with the website (hence why I almost didn't get one, but then bought one the 2nd day they were on sale).

I think the hype on PJ merch was much less then. I don't remember people going quite as bananas every time something new came out. Like a previous poster said, Benaroya inadvertantly started it. No one wants to miss out on an item only to have it become unobtainable in the future due to its resell price. I think it took a year for Benaroya to get up to $400 on ebay. Sevens already seems to be going for $350 to $400.

Vinyl was much less popular back then. I think there were a lot less fan club members too. I remember reading that around the binaural tour there were about 30000 fan club members. Now board members theorize it's in the hundreds of 1000's.

Most of us have aged with the band as well which means our means have gone up over the least 10 years as well (on average people make more the older they get) which means we can shell out a bit more for something. Something I couldn't really do when I was finishing university 10 years ago.
  • Options
    So Benaroya Hall set the bar & its been collective collectible madness from here on out? Yeah, I can believe that. Just seeing how much the merch stand culture has changed from 98-present! Someone else made a good point somewhere on here about eBay & PayPal booming. I can't think of another band who has fans as rabid about its merch than Pearl Jam.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    Zod said:

Vinyl was much less popular back then. I think there were a lot less fan club members too. I remember reading that around the binaural tour there were about 30000 fan club members. Now board members theorize it's in the hundreds of 1000's.

There were 50,000 active memberships as early as '92/'93. As of this past summer there were 200,000 confirmed active memberships.

Getting back on topic, I recall purchasing the Benaroya Hall LP @ ~4:30PM (approximately 13 hours after it first appeared for sale) and as I recall it sold out ~5:00PM.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Some interesting comments here and some DAMN fine memories as well. All I remember when I received mine is "hmmmm... this thing just SEEMS super collectable. I'm gonna hold on to it for a while just to see what happens." Slowly but surely, it is becoming a future heirloom. Zod, you mentioned it was up to $400 in 2005 eh? That might be the one I remember seeing being sold on eBay (I think) back then. Unbelievable that the average price was something like $1500-$1600 just a couple years ago. HOLY HELL!

• Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,314
    From my recollection, BH was released at 12 midnight ET. The site crashed tremendously. Worst drop eva.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,771
    edited January 2014

hahahaha! my mom scored this on dial up for me while i was at work. Wasnt the vinyl a 2005 release?

Only $11 to ship four vinyls costing $35? This photo was obviously photoshopped! LOL!
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options

Only $11 to ship four vinyls costing $35? This photo was obviously photoshopped! LOL!

'04