Amp settings for PJ tracks?

Ok, so this may already be covered in another thread, but the search function is not working for me in the forums.

I've let my guitar down for a while, and it's time to pick her up again. I used to play a lot of metal, but now want to start getting into PJ playing a bit more.

I am not a big "sound" guy, so any help anyone can give me with settings on an amp for Mike and Stone sounds, will be much appreciated. I am looking to start off with the early albums first.

I play an LTD EC-2005 30th Anniversary guitar, with active EMG 81/60 pickups, through a Roland CUBE 60 amp. Not the right setup for PJ - I know - but any help is welcome!

Cheers :-)

Comments

• I'll tell you right now, the reissue Marshall Guv'na will give you the exact OD/Distortion for early Ten sounds.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • eyejackereyejacker Posts: 1,282
    Thanks for the heads up xtremehardy388!!
    I'll have to track one down and try it out in a store! :-)
  • eyejacker said:

Thanks for the heads up xtremehardy388!!
    I'll have to track one down and try it out in a store! :-)

No prob. I tried one out with a strat and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. However, at home, I have a moded strat, Fender Roc Pro 700 (with a deluxe reverb tank), and used my TS5 Tube Screamer (same as the TS9 but with a plastic case) and the Guv'na--got the exact clean and dirty tones for Porch, Black, Yellow Ledbetter, Alone, and Leash. Good luck--let us know what your results are :)

• Amp settings are kind of tricky. I'm constantly having to adjust them depending where I'm at. Home, practice space, gig. To get a lot of Mike lead tones you def need a wah, a Leslie simulator of some sort (uni vibe, rotosphere, déjà vibe ect), delay, and a phaser of sorts. Think of the NAIS, Even Flow, Given to Fly ect type of lead and solo tones. Also the type of pickups play a big roll. Hard to get the YLB tone with humbuckers. Also a great place to start with for just the basic over driven tone is a keeley TS-9 tube screamer. I believe that's what Mike used for years into a Matchless DC30. I noticed from the pit this year it looks like he is playing 65amps now. I was never on Stones side but I know for years I could see a Vox AC30. Have fun, try and catch their tones but don't forget to find your own. Remember your guitar is your voice, and you don't want to sound like anyone else when you speak.
  • Amp settings are kind of tricky. I'm constantly having to adjust them depending where I'm at. Home, practice space, gig. To get a lot of Mike lead tones you def need a wah, a Leslie simulator of some sort (uni vibe, rotosphere, déjà vibe ect), delay, and a phaser of sorts. Think of the NAIS, Even Flow, Given to Fly ect type of lead and solo tones. Also the type of pickups play a big roll. Hard to get the YLB tone with humbuckers. Also a great place to start with for just the basic over driven tone is a keeley TS-9 tube screamer. I believe that's what Mike used for years into a Matchless DC30. I noticed from the pit this year it looks like he is playing 65amps now. I was never on Stones side but I know for years I could see a Vox AC30. Have fun, try and catch their tones but don't forget to find your own. Remember your guitar is your voice, and you don't want to sound like anyone else when you speak.

Mike is playing 65 amps and UJA(Union Jack Amps) on this tour, he was using some Satellite for a couple of years and Stone now uses these. Stone still uses a Fender for his cleans.

I believe Live at Benaroya hall YLB (my favourite) was a Tele, not his usual '59 strat with open coils.
    An SG neck pickup (something like a lollar low wind imperial or a P90) would be a sweet sound for YLB if the tone was rolled off. LP could even do it well through the right amp.

End of the day, the fingers count the most.

OP: If you are getting into more grunge/bluesy rock perhaps a second set of pickups with solderless connections would serve you well?
    PJ Melbourne - 2006 Melbourne - 2009 Melbourne - 2014 EV Perth - 2011 Melbourne 2014
  • It's hard to get a delta or Leslie effect with your fingers. Your fingers show your style and attack. The tone is highly effected by gear. Don't get me wrong, you can always match someone's tone, but if you play like sh/t it'll sound like sh/t.
  • Delta= delay. Got to love auto correct.
  • Ahh dialing the right sound during gigs. I was a dumb@$$, when I started gigging, and always wanted to soundcheck---and even during shows, I'd change the settings on my pedals. That's why I never went with a a rack unit or whatever. It's easier when the stuff is right in front and I can switch on the fly. Every place you play will force you to dial stuff in so it's just right--it's just the nature of the beast
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,749

Amp settings are kind of tricky. I'm constantly having to adjust them depending where I'm at. Home, practice space, gig. To get a lot of Mike lead tones you def need a wah, a Leslie simulator of some sort (uni vibe, rotosphere, déjà vibe ect), delay, and a phaser of sorts. Think of the NAIS, Even Flow, Given to Fly ect type of lead and solo tones. Also the type of pickups play a big roll. Hard to get the YLB tone with humbuckers. Also a great place to start with for just the basic over driven tone is a keeley TS-9 tube screamer. I believe that's what Mike used for years into a Matchless DC30. I noticed from the pit this year it looks like he is playing 65amps now. I was never on Stones side but I know for years I could see a Vox AC30. Have fun, try and catch their tones but don't forget to find your own. Remember your guitar is your voice, and you don't want to sound like anyone else when you speak.

Wise words there!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• BHealyBHealy Posts: 466
    I've been listening to lots of bootlegs lately, and it seems like the tones are different on every set. I think its cool to get in the general range of their tone, but maybe all you need is the right types of effects?