Slide guitar? Red Mosquito?

BHealyBHealy Posts: 466
edited December 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey, has anyone tried incorporating a slide into their playing? I just bought a glass slide today to screw around with. I was inspired by Mike's lead on "Red Mosquito" and I'm going to try to learn those parts when I get a little more comfortable with it. Has anyone found good tab for the lead parts on Red Mosquito, or a video?
Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jason78Jason78 Posts: 400
    All hail Robbie Kreiger! ………….sorry :D
  • BHealyBHealy Posts: 466
    Is he known for slide? I need to got back an listen to some Doors stuff, its been awhile.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I dabble with slide, but I'm far from a pro with it. First trick to making it sound good is figuring out the string muting. You'll usually want to rest the finger behind the slide on the strings. Much easier and more useful if you start dabbling in open tunings.

All of McCready's slide playing is super basic. The hardest part about Red Mosquito is not clanging the slide off the string when you're doing the fretted parts.

The tab over at giventowail is pretty spot on or you can find it at ultimate-guitar as well.
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm screwing around in Open E right now to get the hang of it. Do you think Mike's in standard tuning for Red Mosquito?

Can you think of other PJ songs incorporating slide?

Thanks again,
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    BHealy wrote:
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm screwing around in Open E right now to get the hang of it. Do you think Mike's in standard tuning for Red Mosquito?

Can you think of other PJ songs incorporating slide?

Thanks again,

I'm pretty sure he's in standard and that's how the tab is transcribed.

I'm pretty sure there are only a few tunes where Mike is not in standard, like GTF and Present Tense. Stone has always been more experimental in the tuning department and Ed has some guitar songs where he uses uke tuning.

There's a little slide in Supersonic and live versions of Man of the Hour. No others are poppin into my head, at the moment, though there may be others.
    Yeah, you're right about the tuning. Here's a pretty decent video of the song performed Live. Its a great tune.

http://youtu.be/PtPcHyGwASI
  • Biggest tip I got was to set your guitar up for slide. Raise the string height. Makes a world of difference in playability. I have a guitar that is the "slide" guitar. I also started learning a bunch of Ben Harper and Stones songs. Ben plays a lot of open D and Keith a lot of open G with the low E (in standard) string removed. Have fun, it opens up a whole new world of guitar.
    mattsl1983 wrote:
    Biggest tip I got was to set your guitar up for slide. Raise the string height. Makes a world of difference in playability. I have a guitar that is the "slide" guitar. I also started learning a bunch of Ben Harper and Stones songs. Ben plays a lot of open D and Keith a lot of open G with the low E (in standard) string removed. Have fun, it opens up a whole new world of guitar.

Sounds like a good excuse to get another guitar too! LOL! My wife would kill me. :D Thanks for the tips!
  • BHealy wrote:
    mattsl1983 wrote:
    Biggest tip I got was to set your guitar up for slide. Raise the string height. Makes a world of difference in playability. I have a guitar that is the "slide" guitar. I also started learning a bunch of Ben Harper and Stones songs. Ben plays a lot of open D and Keith a lot of open G with the low E (in standard) string removed. Have fun, it opens up a whole new world of guitar.

Sounds like a good excuse to get another guitar too! LOL! My wife would kill me. :D Thanks for the tips!

The best part, and wife selling point is you can get a cheapo. With slide beginning out you really aren't worried about frets or this or that. It's more or less a pickup you dig. I'd look into any les paul jr or esquire cheap models. Then once you get the hang and want to get deeper is when you strike up the wife convo of "well I'd really like..." Haha. Slide is super fun, but it does kind of require an extra axe!
    I'm sure you're right, but I just got a new American strat for Christmas! I'll give it a go with what I have for now. Maybe I can get a used cheapo sometime.