New Guitar for Christmas

KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716
edited December 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
My wife gave me a new guitar for Christmas. I havent played since I was 10 or 11 so I am learning to play again. Not sticking with it when I was younger is one of my regrets in life. During this process I want to learn how to play the music I love most. What are some good resources (books, dvds, etc.)to learn PJ music. I looked at a couple on amazon but they had poor reviews. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Columbus-2000
Columbus-2003
Cincinnati-2006
Columbus-2010
Wrigley-2013
Cincinnati-2014
Lexington-2016
Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TS1969TS1969 Posts: 53
    I tend to gravitate towards www.ultimate-guitar.com

Tons of tabs for Pearl Jam and anybody else you can think of.
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    edited December 2013
    KC138045 wrote:
    My wife gave me a new guitar for Christmas. I havent played since I was 10 or 11 so I am learning to play again. Not sticking with it when I was younger is one of my regrets in life. During this process I want to learn how to play the music I love most. What are some good resources (books, dvds, etc.)to learn PJ music. I looked at a couple on amazon but they had poor reviews. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Not PJ related. But I've been (slowly) making my way thru Hal Leonard's guitar method books 1, 2 & 3. Teaching myself with no outside lessons. Pretty simple instructions and now I almost sound like I know what I'm doing.

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewp ... ubsiteid=7

When a PJ concert is on Ten Club Radio, I try to play along. You can follow along with the set lists and look up the riffs for each upcoming song online.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/pearl_jam_tabs.htm
    http://giventowail.com/

Have fun!
    Post edited by CM189191 on
  • KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716
    CM189191 wrote:
    KC138045 wrote:

Not PJ related. But I've been (slowly) making my way thru Hal Leonard' guitar method books 1, 2 & 3. Teaching myself with no outside lessons. Pretty simple instructions and now I almost sound like I know what I'm doing.

http://www.halleonard.com

When a PJ concert is on Ten Club Radio, I try to play along. You can follow along with the set lists and look up the riffs for each upcoming song online.

Have fun!

Im trying to go without outside lessons as well. Along with the guitar she got me the Rocksmith video game to help. Its actually very helpful. It uses your tv or home entertainment system as the amp.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    justinguitar.com
  • YouTube. I wish it was around when I was just learning. Just type in a band, a song, and how to play and bam.
    An example, Pearl Jam + I am Mine + how to play = http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oc9E-kL1T8s
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    KC138045 said:

Just checking in - how's it coming along? Keep it up!

(out of curiosity, what guitar did you get?)

• KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716
    CM189191 said:

KC138045 said:

Just checking in - how's it coming along? Keep it up!

(out of curiosity, what guitar did you get?)

Its going pretty well. Ive been using Rocksmith more than anything and it has taught me a lot. Getting decent on a few songs.

My guitar is a Fender Squier Strat
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018