Options

Santa (*spoiler*)

Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
So....
What's the formula for kids learning the truth? Let friends tell them and lie to the bitter end? Or be honest when they ask? Is there a way to do this right?...or to fuck it up? How have other parents dealt with this?

I feel like there comes a time when we're just kinda making fools of kids by misleading them. Should you just tell them the truth when they start asking? Or get obtuse or philosophical so they will believe a little longer? Kind of a fucked up situation we put ourselves in with all the stories :lol:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680
    Maybe at a certain age ask them questions like, "Why do you think the Santa at the mall looks different than the Santa downtown?" or "Say, how do suppose it is that Santa seems to be in more places than one at the same time?" Sooner or later they figure it out and it becomes their idea rather than being told it's all make believe. Most kids are savvy enough to figure out that all the make believe stories are just. (Hey, I'm really trying to be good here so I don't get lumps of coal tomorrow. :lol: )
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Oh, we (myself, my fam, and Hollywood) have lied about all of those situations for years already. The mall santa's aren't the real one - they're just helper santas. He can be many places at once because he's Santa - he's magic!
    And what's the certain age?
    They started questioning the mall santa at like 4 :lol:

Happy holidays to you and yours Brian :)
  • Options
    When they start to question Santa's existence , you move from Santa being real to the spirit of Santa being real.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I found out in the schoolyard. Once the Santa myth gets debunked, the hunt for the secret present stash begins! :D
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680
    Oh, we (myself, my fam, and Hollywood) have lied about all of those situations for years already. The mall santa's aren't the real one - they're just helper santas. He can be many places at once because he's Santa - he's magic!
    And what's the certain age?
    They started questioning the mall santa at like 4 :lol:

Happy holidays to you and yours Brian :)

Helper Santas... :fp: No one ever told me!

Happy Holidays to you to, my friend!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.