why does every show end w/ Ledbetter?

stardog2012stardog2012 Posts: 16
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I've been seeing PJ since 1992, and lately, it seems like a predominant number of shows end w/ this song. I love the Hendrix-y Little Wing vibe, but why does it end so many shows?
11/1/92, 10/30/93, 10/31/93, 11/7/95, 7/13/98, 10/21/00, 10/31/00, 10/21/01, 6/3/03, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, 10/4/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I agree. Nothing against this great song, but a little variety would be nice.

Usually it's a buzzkill when it comes up because you know that the show is probably over, unless it one of the rare shows when they rip into RITFW right after.

How about ending with Release or Long Road. Take one of those openers and tack it to the end....
  • I've been seeing PJ since 1992, and lately, it seems like a predominant number of shows end w/ this song. I love the Hendrix-y Little Wing vibe, but why does it end so many shows?
    Because it's bad ass!
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • trandgtrandg Posts: 65
    Back when Pearl Jam signed contracts with Satan himself (see Satan's Bed), there was a clause that stated 95% of Pearl Jam shows must end with Yellow Ledbetter.

There really isn't any other reason, and I don't think it is really an issue that is up for debate.

Oh, and the whole McCready-LASER-Crotch fiasco is also related to the whole Satan-Ledbetter thing.

Just a thought.
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    Because that's how Friends ended
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • bostonlou wrote:
    Because that's how Friends ended

Really?????????????????
    Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss.

Listen to Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros
  • trandgtrandg Posts: 65
    Really?????????????????

It's true.

Everytime I've ended a friendship, for reasons unbeknownst to myself, Yellow Ledbetter has magically played.

Ipso facto, Friends ended with Yellow Ledbetter.

Also, the last episode of the show Friends ended that way too.
  • bryanfurybryanfury Posts: 460
    i wouldn't mind some variety.

radiohead had been closing with everything in its right place, and this tour, they opened with it.

they have a lot of good potential closers.

comeback would be good too!
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • idratherbeidratherbe Posts: 367
    HA. My husband says, "you know it's not over till you hear YLB, Rockin, or Baba". :D

~peace~
    Never allow someone to be your Priority,
    While allowing yourself to be their Option.

‹^›_‹(ô¿ô)›_‹^›

Please visit daily: www.theanimalrescuesite.com
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    They ended with Alive at the Astoria and that kicked arse!! :D

I like Yellow Ledbetter though, it has a nice mellow feel.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • YL is a tired out tune, period. They should play it every 5-6 shows, maybe. Come to think of it, there are plenty in that category that would take on a new life if they stopped playing them so much:

Corduroy, Even Flow (though at least this changes in the solo), Betterman, Alive, Baba O'Riley, RITFW...

These are all great tunes that I used to love but now cringe when I hear them started up.
    It's an art to live with pain...mix the light into grey..

9.28.96, 9.8.98, 8.24.00, 8.27.00, 8.29.00, 7.2.03, 7.3.03, 7.9.03, 7.11.03, 9.28.04, 5.1.06, 5.13.06, 5.31.06, 6.1.06, 6.3.06, 6.24.08, 6.25.08, 6.27.08, 6.28.08, 6.30.08
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    They ended with Alive at the Astoria and that kicked arse!! :D

I like Yellow Ledbetter though, it has a nice mellow feel.
    Actually they ended with YLB at the Astoria...then changed their mind and tagged Alive at the end ...
  • NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    YL is a tired out tune, period. They should play it every 5-6 shows, maybe. Come to think of it, there are plenty in that category that would take on a new life if they stopped playing them so much:

Corduroy, Even Flow (though at least this changes in the solo), Betterman, Alive, Baba O'Riley, RITFW...

These are all great tunes that I used to love but now cringe when I hear them started up.

I would like to hear some different closers too. It seemed Ledbetter was a rarity back in the day so it was more meaningful to hear it. They have plenty of other songs I think would be good closers including...

All Those Yesterdays
    Parting Ways
    Release (would be a pleasant change from being just an opener)
    Inside Job (thought it would have been a closer)

Some of the other radio songs also seem to be getting worn out. I know they want to play songs for the casual fans, but they should mix it up a bit more and not play practically every big radio song (Evenflow, Jeremy, Alive, Corduroy, Better Man, and Yellow Ledbetter) at so many shows. A few at each show should be enough.
    Pegasus wrote:
    Actually they ended with YLB at the Astoria...then changed their mind and tagged Alive at the end ...

Alive was on the set list :) That's how everyone knew it was coming at the end

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    I'll always love it! it's such a nice way for the band (Mike especially) to say goodbye to the crowd. And if you listen to the boots, it seems that the crowd reaction is getting louder and louder every tour.

Listening to Toronto 1, when Mike starts the song everyone goes nuts!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Alive was on the set list :) That's how everyone knew it was coming at the end
    they forgot to give the setlist to Stone then..cos he was really gone!
  • I have to agree. It's getting old that they play YL at the end of almost everyshow. However it is not as bad as Evenflow in my eyes. At least the lyrics sometimes change in Yellow Ledbetter.

Why on earth they feel the need to play the song that made them famous every show is beyond me. Seems like something posers and sellouts do and Pearl Jam has always strived to be the opposite of that. I understand playing certain songs off the new album every show since that is the album you are promoting but playing your friendly radio songs into the ground is ridiculous.

When I was at the Toronto show at Wednesday I heard a collective "ugh" on the floor when they started playing Even Flow for the 50 millionth time. You have to figure at least 50% of the crowd was there to hear it the night before too. I always groan when they start playing it but it was hilarious to hear it in stereo. At least I'm not the only one that is annoyed with it. They at least need to think about reworking this EXTREMELY OVER-PLAYED song.

I also would like them to start closing with All Those Yesterdays, Smile, or Parting Ways. Anything that would be a surprise instead of "Oh they are playing YL I guess the show is over." At least they put a tag in YL the last night at Toronto.
    The reason the main stream is thought of as a stream is because it's so shallow. -George Carlin-
  • For everyone who has issues with Pearl Jam's set lists, there's a simple solution - don't bother going to the concert. I'm sure someone else would love to go in your place.

I understand for those of you who get the opportunity to go to dozens of PJ shows, it may get repetitive, but there are also fans out there who are just as big a PJ fan who can only afford to go to one show a tour. They would love to hear some of the songs that you guys have been so fortunate to hear a billion times already. I've been to four shows and Wednesday night was the first time I had heard Yellow Ledbetter, and I loved every second of it (especially when Eddie joined in!! :) ) It was also the first time I had ever heard Jeremy, Elderly Woman, and Alive. I screamed and cheered and sang along at the top of my lungs, while the rest of you sighed and rolled your eyes. :rolleyes

(What a great way to show your appreciation for Pearl Jam, by the way.)
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
    Pegasus wrote:
    they forgot to give the setlist to Stone then..cos he was really gone!

I know bless him! :D Perhaps the occasion was too overwhelming for him :D

Rockin' out to Creadles