Christmas Wish

rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip

Comments

• mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Thousands gather in West Reading to sing carols for Laney
    Saturday December 21, 2013 06:21 PM
    Reading Eagle

| Delaney Brown

Thousands of people gathered in West Reading Saturday night to sing Christmas carols and raise the spirits of Delaney "Laney" Brown, a borough 8-year-old who is terminally ill.

An estimated 5,000 to 7,000 people were packed into the narrow 400 block of Chestnut Street, which was closed to traffic and parking since 4 p.m.
    Organizers said the caroling, originally set to start at 7 p.m., would begin a half-hour early. Carolers sang a handful of songs, including "Silent Night," "Jingle Bells" and "Joy to the World."
    Organizers asked the carolers to wrap up their singing with a rendition of "Happy Birthday" at around 8 p.m. Laney turned 8 on Friday.
    Girls from Laney’s dance group at Dance Fusion Studios in West Lawn performed in front of the Browns’ home before the caroling began.
    Kaylee Jester, 8, Mohnton, is a member of the group and said dance practices haven’t been quite the same without Laney around.
    "I was sad because she has cancer. I want to make her feel better," Kayle said as she stood outside Laney’s home. "I love her and miss her."

Another caroler, Mackenzie Melcher, 9, of Mohnton, said, “I wanted to make the little girl happy,” when asked why she came to the event.

Laney was diagnosed in May with a rare form of leukemia. On Tuesday, her parents delivered devastating news on the Team Laney page on Facebook: Doctors at Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital said their daughter has just days or weeks to live.

Local supporters promised to grant Laney one of her bucket-list items, which was to have people from the community sing Christmas carols to her in front of her home.
    Coryn Rank, 19, Wyomissing, wore a pink Team Laney bracelet to the caroling event, which she said she bought at a fundraiser this summer. Rank wears the bracelet every day.
    "I hope Laney and her family knows we see how rough of a road it’s been," Coryn said, "and how much we all are willing to do for her in this hard time in her life."
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    This is really beautiful and so sad. Made me remember a few years ago.... I was caring for a patient of mine in her home. She had terminal cancer. It was nearing dusk and her doorbell rang. Her husband answered the door and then came to her room where I was with her to tell us that she had to come to the living room. She didn't want to as it was a struggle. He convinced her and we helped her to her wheelchair and out to the living room. Out the front picture window of her home we could see that her yard (and those of her neighbors in her entire block) was filled with church members, community members, neighbors, family, school children... All singing Christmas carols to her. It was so extremely touching. I will never forget that moment nor will I forget her. She became dear to me and I'm really grateful that I was lucky enough to be present and witness the beautiful gesture of love and unity. It was powerful.

Peace
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Laney Brown, 8, passes away
    Wednesday December 25, 2013 12:01 AM

Delaney Brown, the 8-year-old West Reading girl whose battle with leukemia inspired a groundswell of support in Berks County and beyond, has died.

The girl, nicknamed Laney, died early this morning at home, according to a family spokesman.

Laney, a second-grader at Wyomissing Hills Elementary School, was diagnosed in May with a rare form of leukemia. She received five rounds of radiation therapy and a stem cell transplant in September.

Her condition took a turn for the worse last week, and doctors told her parents, Jennifer and Jeremiah Brown, that the child had just days or weeks to live.

The story went viral on social media, driven mainly by a Team Laney page that has gained more than 119,000 “likes” on Facebook.

To fulfill one of Laney's final wishes, as many as 10,000 people turned out on Saturday night to sing Christmas carols outside the Browns' home in the 400 block of Chestnut Street in West Reading.

Laney, who turned 8 on Friday, also had a chance to speak on her birthday with pop music superstar Taylor Swift, in an event coordinated by the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Meeting Swift, a Wyomissing native, was another one of Laney's wishes.

http://readingeagle.com/article/2013122 ... rsjm_RDuSo