Just got a call

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited December 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
My buddy, SPKTRM called me up and asked if I'd like to be on his next album. I was a featured artist on his last one that went to vinyl (not gonna lie...it's pretty cool being on vinyl that's being sold world wide. I can't say much about this next album but I'm pretty pumped. It's going to force me to grow as a player and broaden my music stylings. I've got so much gear and so many guitars that it'll be really fun trying to figure out what instrument/pedals/amps I want to use on each track. How do you all figure out what to use on your recordings/songs?
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Congrats! I m actually putting out my own ep indepently!! I have a distributor thats packaging it now! Im a singer songwriter and have a fender telecaster, a martin , orange tube amp and pedals! I usually write on an acoustic, then try out different guitar parts with different effects! It usually becomes a different song after!!! But just expirmnt with the songs you re playing too, try something wierd , try something you d normally use!!!!
  • My buddy, SPKTRM called me up and asked if I'd like to be on his next album. I was a featured artist on his last one that went to vinyl (not gonna lie...it's pretty cool being on vinyl that's being sold world wide. I can't say much about this next album but I'm pretty pumped. It's going to force me to grow as a player and broaden my music stylings. I've got so much gear and so many guitars that it'll be really fun trying to figure out what instrument/pedals/amps I want to use on each track. How do you all figure out what to use on your recordings/songs?
    that is awesome! so cool that you are actually on vinyl too :)

my selection depends on what i am called on to in the song. we have 2 guitar players. we like to have the dynamic where one guy is playing a beefy humbucker guitar like a les paul or sg and one guy is playing a single coil like a strat or something with a p-90. we have always kind of done it that way. sometimes we both play les pauls. rarely do we ever both play strats though for some reason. if i know i am going to be playing something that has a clean tone i go for a strat with my matchless clubman. if i am going be playing rhythm i will usually use something with humbuckers and maybe one of my vintage marshalls. if i had my choice i would a/b the matchless and my 74 marshall, but that is too much of a pain. i always use the same pedal board though. most times, i kinda hear the song in my head and i play around with it with different settings of gain and preamp volume and go from there and just play what i think the song requires. sometimes the guy who writes a song has an idea what he wants the guitars to sound like and i just do what he suggests.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • ldatspj wrote:
    Congrats! I m actually putting out my own ep indepently!! I have a distributor thats packaging it now! Im a singer songwriter and have a fender telecaster, a martin , orange tube amp and pedals! I usually write on an acoustic, then try out different guitar parts with different effects! It usually becomes a different song after!!! But just expirmnt with the songs you re playing too, try something wierd , try something you d normally use!!!!
    Thanks! I released a couple of my own songs (My fiance's dad has his own studio) so I just used my acoustic. The first one is about a really bad relationship I was one (kudos to those on this board that helped me through it, about 6 years ago). The second is about friends leaving. Anyway, those were all acoustic. With the last album (Android Dreams) I was given total freedom---and he wanted pedals! This one will have me trying a new style with much less pedals. It's going to be a challenge but I'm excited to grow as a musician. Good idea on trying something I wouldn't normally use! Thanks!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,414
    maybe approach the sessions with some basic gear at first; you "go-to's" if you will. after hearing/digesting the music & figuring out which direction you want to go, add or subtract some gear/guitars/etc. i've always found that starting out with a simple approach is easiest for me.

congrats, man!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 wrote:
    maybe approach the sessions with some basic gear at first; you "go-to's" if you will. after hearing/digesting the music & figuring out which direction you want to go, add or subtract some gear/guitars/etc. i've always found that starting out with a simple approach is easiest for me.

congrats, man!
    agreed. i think it suits me better to go in stripped down and as i play i think "maybe this can use a little delay", or "maybe this could use a bit of overdrive", etc.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mfc2006 wrote:

congrats, man!
    Thanks! Great idea. I'm going to just go in with my LP-100, tube screamer, and TU2 and see how that works.