Working on an old Gibson is a nightmare

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited December 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
My pastor has an old Gibson ES330 (one of the last 'hometown' guitars---1968). I was trying to help him with is and went to take off the jack. Removing the nut was easy...but putting it back on was a NIGHTMARE! It took about an hour just to get the jack fed back through the hole and another hour trying to get the nut attached to the jack. I'm thankful the my les paul and SG have a removable back which gives me easy access to the connections. Needless to say...we got nothing accomplished. Getting to the connections is almost impossible.
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• My pastor has an old Gibson ES330 (one of the last 'hometown' guitars---1968). I was trying to help him with is and went to take off the jack. Removing the nut was easy...but putting it back on was a NIGHTMARE! It took about an hour just to get the jack fed back through the hole and another hour trying to get the nut attached to the jack. I'm thankful the my les paul and SG have a removable back which gives me easy access to the connections. Needless to say...we got nothing accomplished. Getting to the connections is almost impossible.
    i always take a pair of needlenose pliars and thread them into the jack part. that way i don't lose grip of them. vintage gear is a pain in the ass!!
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • My pastor has an old Gibson ES330 (one of the last 'hometown' guitars---1968). I was trying to help him with is and went to take off the jack. Removing the nut was easy...but putting it back on was a NIGHTMARE! It took about an hour just to get the jack fed back through the hole and another hour trying to get the nut attached to the jack. I'm thankful the my les paul and SG have a removable back which gives me easy access to the connections. Needless to say...we got nothing accomplished. Getting to the connections is almost impossible.
    i always take a pair of needlenose pliars and thread them into the jack part. that way i don't lose grip of them. vintage gear is a pain in the ass!!
    We tried to use the pliers but no dice. I got called out in the middle of working on the guitar and when I got back, it was fixed...*whew*!
    We tried to use the pliers but no dice. I got called out in the middle of working on the guitar and when I got back, it was fixed...*whew*!
    gotta love when that happens!!! :lol:

• Any tips or tricks to working on the jack, switches, or pickups would be appreciated.
  • Any tips or tricks to working on the jack, switches, or pickups would be appreciated.
    i've never worked on a 330. my recommendation would be to take it to someone who knows what they are doing more than i do :lol:

• paco or mig might have some insights.

Remove the pick up.. Go through that opening. Still a pain, but it is what it is.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/

Remove the pick up.. Go through that opening. Still a pain, but it is what it is.
    good call. i never would have thought of that. pain in the ass, but it might work out better in the end.

good call. i never would have thought of that. pain in the ass, but it might work out better in the end.

Just like putting the jack in a acoustic, you still need smaller hands and a thinner forearm.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Just like putting the jack in a acoustic, you still need smaller hands and a thinner forearm.
    might have to resort to child labor.... :o:o:lol:

• Just like putting the jack in a acoustic, you still need smaller hands and a thinner forearm.
    might have to resort to child labor.... :o:o:lol:
    Thankfully I have small hands and my friend says I have "sweatshop skills". It's okay, I'm from India..I got out of the sweatshop area. But seriously...these small fingers have saved me a number of times when I lost my pick in the acoustic soundhole.
  • I agree. I have a '72 SG that was a bitch to do anything to. The electronics went in it and everything on the inside was somehow magically built into the hardwood. All better now though, LOL
  • How'd you ever fix it?