Chicago Shows

shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,182
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I am from Chicago and it breaks my heart the Mr. Vedder is a Cubs fan. Also, seeing him singing take me out to the ball game yesterday just added to the fire. If your not from Chicago here is a little info about the baseball teams here. The bottom line is that you are either a Sox fan or a Cubs fan. There is no in between. So if you are a White Sox fan bring an old Sox hat or buy a cheap one at a gas station and lets shower the stage (with hats) "WORLD CHAMPION STYLE". I will also be starting some "Let's go WHITE SOX" chants. See you tomorrow!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    lol, I think Ed goes both ways :cool:.. but definately leans towards the Cubs. Remember on SNL '92 he was waving his Sox hat to the audience.. There is also a few pictures somewhere with Stone wearing a White Sox had, but I think he was just trying to be cool. :D

Anyone looking to learn about our beautiful city who are visiting, for the record..

The World Champion White Sox are 24 and 12 right now.. The Cubs are 15 and 22. :p
  • potluckpotluck Posts: 170
    let me start by saying i am not from chicago. I have however been all around this country, visiting nearly every major city in the 48 states. I must say chicago is my favorite place of all.

I am also a huge baseball fan. When i was young i spent my days with someone whom i now consider to be a grandma to me. She loved the cubs. Everyday in the summer we would watch the cubs get beat on wgn. I never could understand why she liked this horrible team. And from this the first signs of my raw rebeliousness showed. I began to like the white sox. They were the tough team. They were the mysterious team(cubs are always on wgn/sox aren't). And they were a winning team. This was during the early 1990's.

After parting ways with my baseball mentor, i began to also route for the cubs. I started to have this appreciation for the tradition behind the cubs and the tradition presented itself through the weathered fans, the percerverant fans.

So to this day i consider myself a loyal white sox and cubs fan. I always pull for southside though, during windy city series'.

And i think ed is a big sox fan too. He got arrested with Jack McDowell and again, ive seen ed where white sox hats way more than cubbies hats.

Sorry it got long, but i love pj and chicago and baseball
    and im from shitty south dakota
    06/24/1998 SD
    10/12/2000 KS
    06/13/2003 IA
    06/15/2003 ND
    06/16/2003 Mn
    06/21/2003 WI
    10/05/2004 MO
    10/08/2004 FL
    09/08/2005 MB
    09/09/2005 ON
    05/17/2006 IL
    05/19/2006 MI
    07/02/2006 CO
    08/05/2007 Lolla
    06/14/2008 B'roo

Kill Fascists.... or at least make them realize what they are.
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,182
    Well PotLck I am glad that you root for the White Sox when we play the Cubs. I just think it would be a fun thing to do as long as Eddie doesn't set the hat's on fire. Maybe they should sing "Rival" for the crosstown games coming up this weekend.
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    eddie will say something about cubs/sox for sure. it will be great to hear the way the crowd reacts. eddie loves that shit.
  • dthomasdthomas Posts: 99
    yeaht he sox hat was his bad old days with mcdowell. he says he sees 10 games a year at wrigley though so I have to think he's a cubs fan. Sorry south siders ;)
    30+ Shows over 15 years
    http://www.fightingthesuburbs.com
  • Ed134Ed134 Posts: 54
    Man, the South-Side Inferiority complex has found its way the the PJ message boards....
  • dthomasdthomas Posts: 99
    totally! it's like they win the world series, they kick ass so far this year and they're still pissed they're not the cubs? wtf?
    I'm a transplant so I don't really care either way. personally i wish the cubs had some gamers like the sox do. they're hardcore over there. great stadium but I've never been to a baseball game and felt like you couldn't take a kid to a game because some of the fans are so vile (some not all). I've been to about 20+ parks and never seen anything like it.
    30+ Shows over 15 years
    http://www.fightingthesuburbs.com
  • pjdeadheadpjdeadhead Posts: 71
    If you go to a Pearl Jam show and start a baseball chant you are a loser!! I love how all of sudden every body is a Sox fan around here. Would anyone even thought of chanting "Let's go White Sox" at this time last year, probably not! Leave the bandwagon outside and enjoy the music. I will be wearing my Cubs hat, because unlike Sox fans, my team doesn't have to be winning for me to show support!
    3/28/92 3/10/94 3/14/94 7/8/95 7/9/95
    7/11/95 6/26/98 6/27/98 6/29/98 6/30/98
    7/2/98 8/18/00 10/8/00 (coldest show ever!!)
    10/9/00 4/21/03 4/22/03 4/23/03 4/25/03
    6/18/03 6/21/03 6/22/03 5/16/06 5/17/06
    On the horizon....
    6/29/06 6/30/06
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    pjdeadhead wrote:
    If you go to a Pearl Jam show and start a baseball chant you are a loser!! I love how all of sudden every body is a Sox fan around here. Would anyone even thought of chanting "Let's go White Sox" at this time last year, probably not! Leave the bandwagon outside and enjoy the music. I will be wearing my Cubs hat, because unlike Sox fans, my team doesn't have to be winning for me to show support!

you are dead on, DEAD ON! i'm actually even more proud to be a cubs fan now than I was last year. is there nothing to be said for loyalty anymore??? screw all these bandwagon jumpers...and theyre everywhere!

I think chants in general are a telltale sign of lack of intelligence, but a baseball chant at a show is absolutely idiotic. leave the chants and banners at home, just enjoy the band.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • chicagoguychicagoguy Posts: 12
    DO NOT CHANT. Did anyone see Conan in Chicago last week. It was so F**king stupid when the crowd spent 10 minutes going back and forth about how the cubs suck, no the sox suck, etc. Conan would just stand on stage and be like "great, this sucks and is boring".
  • Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473
    piss off you 708er
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
    pjdeadhead wrote:

Jesus, all you Cubbie fans are a little sensative today (this is what losing does)... First off, if you were at the Borgta show last year (the 1st one) you know how much of a baseball fan Eddie is. He was reporting scores (Sox, Yankees, Phillies) to the crowd and it's all in good fun as well. See people this is why the Cubs bother me. They are all rich kids, that have no sense of humor. You would think they would have one after watching the awful product they put on the field year after year after year. Maybe if you were smart you would stop going to the games so they would put a better team on the field. So you can call me a loser all you want cause your still a Cub fan in the end. See you at the show with your Cubbie blue on........
  • Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473
    Jesus, all you Cubbie fans are a little sensative today (this is what losing does)... First off, if you were at the Borgta show last year (the 1st one) you know how much of a baseball fan Eddie is. He was reporting scores (Sox, Yankees, Phillies) to the crowd and it's all in good fun as well. See people this is why the Cubs bother me. They are all rich kids, that have no sense of humor. You would think they would have one after watching the awful product they put on the field year after year after year. Maybe if you were smart you would stop going to the games so they would put a better team on the field. So you can call me a loser all you want cause your still a Cub fan in the end. See you at the show with your Cubbie blue on........

that is a pretty ignorant generalization about cubs fans, but it doesnt suprise me that you would make a stupid comment like that being a sox fan. when the cubs did well in 03 did you have a bunch of cubs fans being dicks to sox fans... no, but with the sox winning now a days there are so many sox fans being pricks like you. get over it bitch
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • pjdeadheadpjdeadhead Posts: 71

If all Cubs fans are spolied little rich kids than all Sox fans are white trash with no teeth and home made tattoos! That statement is why I do not like Sox fans! This will be last I post on this, I do not want to start a baseball arguement on a music board!
    3/28/92 3/10/94 3/14/94 7/8/95 7/9/95
    7/11/95 6/26/98 6/27/98 6/29/98 6/30/98
    7/2/98 8/18/00 10/8/00 (coldest show ever!!)
    10/9/00 4/21/03 4/22/03 4/23/03 4/25/03
    6/18/03 6/21/03 6/22/03 5/16/06 5/17/06
    On the horizon....
    6/29/06 6/30/06
    Riot_Mac wrote:
    that is a pretty ignorant generalization about cubs fans, but it doesnt suprise me that you would make a stupid comment like that being a sox fan. when the cubs did well in 03 did you have a bunch of cubs fans being dicks to sox fans... no, but with the sox winning now a days there are so many sox fans being pricks like you. get over it bitch

Again with the language , now....... when you are calling me a bitch you have to call me a "World Series Champion Bitch" or "World Series Champion Prick" whatever your heart desires. Now try it....

PS- I do not recall being mean towards you in anyway. All I want to do is convert Eddie, or at least talk basball with him cause unlike yourself and the other 30,000 that fill up the shrine he seems to know what he is talking about.
  • chicagoguychicagoguy Posts: 12
    That is great that you want to talk baseball with Eddie but doing it by chanting in a crowd of 30,000 people is hardly a conversation. I am a Cubs fan but I do not want Cubs chants either. Both are stupid. Look at the last few posts on this subject. The last thing I want to do is hear two assholes arguing about why fans for one team are cooler than fans for the other team. I want to hear the music. Save the baseball conversation for this weekend when the Cubs/Sox play each other.
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    i thought the Brewers won the world series last year?
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • Nakedeye66Nakedeye66 Posts: 94
    I am from Chicago and it breaks my heart the Mr. Vedder is a Cubs fan. Also, seeing him singing take me out to the ball game yesterday just added to the fire. If your not from Chicago here is a little info about the baseball teams here. The bottom line is that you are either a Sox fan or a Cubs fan. There is no in between. So if you are a White Sox fan bring an old Sox hat or buy a cheap one at a gas station and lets shower the stage (with hats) "WORLD CHAMPION STYLE". I will also be starting some "Let's go WHITE SOX" chants. See you tomorrow!!!

I am uncomfortable with Ed's baseball allegiances and his politics, but PJ shows are neither baseball game nor political rally. So as long as they keep up their top-notch rockin', I'll gladly stomach his Cubbie-love and his celebrity-faux-lefty "Hate the rich ... oh wait, I am rich" politics.

But I will say this, with Ed in attendance I watched the Cubs this weekend for only the fourth time in 40 years ((1) hilarious 1984 choke vs. SD; (2) hilarious 1989 drubbing by SF; (3) most hilarious 2003 choke that only Cub fans could blame on a fan; and (4) Sunday to see Ed and his cutie daughter, even though she'd be much cuter in Sox garb like my little girls when they were that age).

My chant wouldve been "Garden", but they broke it out in 2 of the last 4 shows. Here's hoping for "Red Mosquito" and it's probably about time for "Deep" and "Wash". And I'm always pining for that "Naked Eye" cover. Maybe at the end of "Present Tense" he'll do what he did at the end of "I Got Shit" in Toronto with Cinnamon Girl ... and show what us old Who die-hards have known all along about the great "Present Tense" and where it really comes from!