Options

Why the hate for Future Days?

2»

Comments

• Options
    BN8419BN8419 Posts: 290
    The hate is due to the fact that song pretty well blows.

It's ok if you're in the right mood. But live, it just seems to stunted and stripped. Stone is playing the only decent part.

And on the album, bot the piano and the guitar sound like they were bought from wal-mart. The bridge could be nice, but the mix makes it just a big indiscernible wall of sound. Could be a better tune, but as it is played and as it was recorded, it just simply blows.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    its my 11th favo song of Lighting bolt

what do you have against Sirens?

;)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    BinFrog wrote:
    its my 11th favo song of Lighting bolt

what do you have against Sirens?

;)
    hahah..Sirens is my number 1,,sold!!

SBM won the 12th place!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Actually, another member on here pretty much hit the nail on the head. I think it's the intro, it's too adult contemporary. Remove the intro and you have a good song. IMO.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    Actually, another member on here pretty much hit the nail on the head. I think it's the intro, it's too adult contemporary. Remove the intro and you have a good song. IMO.

The intro is the only part of the song I like. The rest is...blah.
  • Options
    If Phil Collins put this on a solo album what would you have all thought about it?

(Full disclosure: I like Phil - and this song - but he went awry when he dropped the drums entirely to become a chrooner).
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Remove that awful piano in the intro and outro, and you've got an OK song. Not a great song, but a less terrible song.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,064
    No hate here. I like it… a lot.
  • Options
    Are you guys talking about Sirens or Future days. Get the adult contemporary vibe from that too, but I love Future days and not Sirens, very strange. I do like the stripped future days. Seattle was amazing. The lyrics and the way Ed sings them hit very close to home, which is probably why I like it so much.
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    If Phil Collins put this on a solo album what would you have all thought about it?
    I believe I'd say "he's still got it."
  • Options
    I think it's loads better than Just Breathe or The End as far as the obvious "could/should have been Ed solo songs" go, and it is better live. I made a fool out of myself to the people around me at Charlottesville though. I was down front and I swear when Boom started playing the intro it sounded just like Van Morrison's "Crazy Love" to me, so I'm screaming to my wife "HOLY SHIT THEY'RE DOING CRAZY LOVE" :fp: ) Given the intro by Ed it could have made sense, but since I had never heard the organ intro I was a bit confused.
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    more Boom less Brendan O'Brien please

there is a real nice song sandwiched between the intro and outro but those are both painful.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    I think the piano intro is the worst part....so so cheesy. it's a decent love song, but that intro is awful, much better without it.

I'm sure not being able to relate has something to do with it too, but I love thin air, which is definitely a love song too...just not as directly pop and cheesy.
  • Options
    Catch the Hartford bootleg. Eddie provides insight to the meaning of the song before they play it. It is quite comical.
    4/12/94 (Boston), 10/2/96 (Hartford), 9/29/04 (Boston), 5/17/10 (Boston), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/16/13 (Seattle), 10/20/14 (Milwaukee), 5/1/16 (NYC), 5/2/16 (NYC), 8/5/16 (Fenway), 8/7/16 (Fenway)
  • Options
    Ill join the hate for this one. The piano intro sounds like a Journey song...I have expect Steve Perry to start singing instead of Ed.

Not saying people can't enjoy it. Im just more of a VS guy...so this slow sappy stuff isn't really for me. Just Breathe and Future Days are wastes at concerts for me.
  • Options
    I think in the battle of 2013-piano based-album closers the national- hard to find wins hands down
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    The body of the song is very nice IMO. Those intro and outro keyboards absolutely destroy it. They make me absolutely hate that song, and I can't think of a worse way for LB to end. It's the only song on the album that I don't like, and has actually knocked some lucky song off of my 10 least favorite PJ songs list. :lol: I'd rather hear the band burping and farting at the end of the record. It's really a huge pity that a very pretty song was ruined by a Casio.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I think in the battle of 2013-piano based-album closers the national- hard to find wins hands down

Oh yeah, not even close either. I'm a fan of LB overall, but there are only a few songs on there that stack up well with any track off Trouble Will Find Me.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,460
    what hate? i love it
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    SarahMcNadiaSarahMcNadia Ontario / Québec Posts: 195
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I'd rather hear the band burping and farting at the end of the record.

:lol:
    An empty cup in the middle of the sea..
    Buffalo 12-Oct-2013 * Cincinnati 01-Oct-2014 * St. Louis 03-Oct-2014
  • Options
    lastexitlastexit 10923 Posts: 257
    If I ever get married, Future Days will be played at my wedding. :lol:

I thought the same thing. Some may find that cheesy but it has perfect lyrics and flow for the occasion.
  • Options
    AggAgg Posts: 462
    I hated it since they played it the first time at Wrigley. I decided to give the album version a try and hated it even more after that. To be fair though, I'm not really a fan of slow songs in general.
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2
  • Options
    KM78948KM78948 Posts: 107
    I don't really hate it, don't really like it either, especially the album version, ed's voice sounds great but song sounds too over produced and poppy....but, I listen to it all the time cause my 2.5 yr old loves it. right when we get in the car asks for "his song" or "his pearl jam". so I can deal with it. he also likes sirens and infallible a lot which I am way more on board with. only one he really doesn't like is swallowed whole, every time within first 3 seconds tells me he doesn't like this song.
    '98 - washington, dc (tfc) & columbia, md
    '00 - columbia, md
    '03 - bristow, va & hershey, pa
    '06 - washington, dc
    '08 - washington, dc
    '09 - philadelphia, pa (halloween)
    '10 - bristow, va
    '13 - baltimore, md & charlottesville, va
    '15 - new york, ny (gcf)
  • Options
    My wife loves SOME of PJ (not much of the harder stuff, she's not turning on Blood...does like Mind Your Manners though). So she likes their ballad-y stuff and she heard Future Days and called it "Sappy." I thought that was perfect word to describe it, and I never thought I'd be calling any song by PJ sappy. No disrespect for anyone who likes it, but IMO it's about the weakest lyrics Ed's EVER written. And the music...the lame-ass piano's been talked about enough! This song is Mike & The Mechanics, "The Living Years." Deep emotional subject, really meaningful to someone who's been through something similar, but just direct, melodramatic and far from the level of Ed and PJ at their best. And I have to say I NEVER thought I'd compare PJ to Mike & The Mechanics! I'm just hoping this isn't sign of records to come.