Options

Today I Learned: EV was sued by Hard Sun's original singer..

Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
edited December 2013 in The Porch
Im not sure how I never saw this before.. Judge ruled in EV's favor.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20091230
By DANIEL KREPS
DECEMBER 30, 2009 12:00 AM ET
We've seen our share of strange lawsuits in 2009, from Joe Satriani versus Coldplay versus Cat Stevens over "Viva la Vida," Starbucks' battle with Carly Simon — even Eddie Van Halen taking Nike to court over a color scheme — but a new suit involving Eddie Vedder seems unprecedented. The Pearl Jam frontman covered the band Indio's "Hard Sun" for the Into the Wild soundtrack, and now songwriter Gordon Peterson alleges that because Vedder altered some of the lyrics, he "eroded" the integrity of the composition, the New York Post reports.

Vedder's take on "Hard Sun," and the rest of the Into the Wild soundtrack, was pretty universally acclaimed, resulting in a music video for the track and a Golden Globe and Grammy nomination for the single "Guaranteed" (he won the Globe). Vedder's score was also nominated for a Golden Globe. The success of Vedder's version of the song is arguably quite responsible for Indio's 1989 album Big Harvest being reissued.

Universal Music was also named in the lawsuit, for failing to get Peterson's permission before licensing the song. Peterson seeks all profits from the song after these "acts of infringement." Into the Wild director Sean Penn is credited with introducing "Hard Sun" to Vedder, who recruited Sleater-Kinney's Corin Tucker to supply vocals on the track.

A comparison of the two versions reveals very little difference between the two tracks. The opening verse and chorus are intact lyrically, but where Peterson wrote "When she comes to greet me / she is mercy at my feet / When I stay to pillage her / She just throws it back at me," Vedder sings, "When she comes to greet me / she is mercy at my feet / I see her inner charm / she just throws it back at me." Similar differences take place in the later verses, but for the most part Vedder sticks to the structure of the original.
2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    I know!

I just heard about while reading up on the original singer!
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• Options
    rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    I always knew Hard Sun was a cover because I read it in the liner notes, but I could never remember who wrote it, and didn't really care. I suppose that was the point of the suit? Did he win?
  • Options
    rtwilli4 wrote:
    I always knew Hard Sun was a cover because I read it in the liner notes, but I could never remember who wrote it, and didn't really care. I suppose that was the point of the suit? Did he win?
    yep

http://www.twofeetthick.com/2010/04/har ... favors-ev/
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Next thing you know someone will file a lawsuit over coffee being too hot.... oh wait.

What a pathetic and ridiculous reason to waste the legal system's time.
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:
    Next thing you know someone will file a lawsuit over coffee being too hot.... oh wait.

I used to roll my eyes over that one too, but someone on this site posted pictures of that woman's burnt flesh: pretty awful. I think there was something to that case.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    ckravitz wrote:

Lawyers gotta eat too. ;)
  • Options
    I actually really like the Indio version. Found Big Harvest at a flea market....such a great song.

Glad Ed won, seems like nonsense anyways.

Almost as bad as John Fogerty getting sued for sounding too much like, well, John Fogerty. Look that one up.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:

I used to roll my eyes over that one too, but someone on this site posted pictures of that woman's burnt flesh: pretty awful. I think there was something to that case.

I have heard something about that case as well, where it is actually more complicated than the media story. Fair enough. But this Ed lawsuit is absurd.
    rssesq wrote:
    Lawyers gotta eat too.

I hear you. It is a shame though because I truly believe that MOST lawyers really are high integrity folks, but boy o boy the slimy minority really sticks out in that field.
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:

Short version but feel free to look it up

McD's bought inferior coffee at cut rate prices that REQUIRED BOILING water in order to get anything from the grind. No one else bought this shit but Mickies but it was super cheap. They were repeatedly, for over 20 years, warned and sued about it and did nothing because, "They must have the best coffee because we sell more than anyone in the world" was their standard reply.

After it was determined that they knew about the dangers and for their blatant refusal to stop selling the boiling coffee for all those years it was determined by the COURT that punitive damages were needed to stop them from doing what they were doing. Through discovery they figured out that the McDiabetes corporation made over 1 MILLION dollars a day from coffee sales alone. So the stupid jury ordered only 4 million in punitive damages(designed to PUNISH).

McDiabetes only laughed at that cuz they made a million A DAY for OVER 20 years selling that shit. But what was really brilliant was how the insurance industry turned that travesty of justice 180 degrees and sold it to the sheeple as a reason for the need for tort reform. They should have awarded her 500 million.
  • Options
    JK36392JK36392 Posts: 840
    if the coffee was cold, she would have bitched about it.
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    She didn't even spill the coffee it melted right through the styrofoam cup and on to her lap. It's really sad how people talk so poorly of that lady when they don't even know the story.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i love mcdonald's coffee.

i stop in every morning and grab a tasty cup on my walk to work. always the right temperature too :thumbup:
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    RiotZact wrote:
    She didn't even spill the coffee it melted right through the styrofoam cup and on to her lap. It's really sad how people talk so poorly of that lady when they don't even know the story.

i google-imaged her burns.

BIG mistake. this lady deserves ZERO flack.
  • Options
    rival. wrote:

i stop in every morning and grab a tasty cup on my walk to work. always the right temperature too :thumbup:

Then you should thank a lawyer for that Newman's Own un-boiled .99 cent coffee son. ;)
  • Options
    rival. wrote:

Yeah it's great now, we can thank the case for that. I love McDonald's food so much but they really piss me off sometimes with their corporate greed.
  • Options
    rival. wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:

Yeah, it's an honest mistake though, I thought the same thing when I heard about it years ago but then we watched a video about it in my business law class. The majority of us hear only half the story, like in Toby Keith's bullshit song he says "spill a cup of coffee make a million dollars" what a fucking idiot she didn't even spill it, to make a post on a forum about it is one thing but to produce a widely popular song falsely accusing someone of something and insulting them to millions of people for something she didn't even do? Fucking dumbass.
  • Options
    RiotZact wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:

Yeah, it's an honest mistake though, I thought the same thing when I heard about it years ago but then we watched a video about it in my business law class. The majority of us hear only half the story, like in Toby Keith's bullshit song he says "spill a cup of coffee make a million dollars" what a fucking idiot she didn't even spill it, to make a post on a forum about it is one thing but to produce a widely popular song falsely accusing someone of something and insulting them to millions of people for something she didn't even do? Fucking dumbass.

I think Rival was saying that they wished they hadn't seen the images.
  • Options
    rssesq wrote:
    ckravitz wrote:

Short version but feel free to look it up

McD's bought inferior coffee at cut rate prices that REQUIRED BOILING water in order to get anything from the grind. No one else bought this shit but Mickies but it was super cheap. They were repeatedly, for over 20 years, warned and sued about it and did nothing because, "They must have the best coffee because we sell more than anyone in the world" was their standard reply.

After it was determined that they knew about the dangers and for their blatant refusal to stop selling the boiling coffee for all those years it was determined by the COURT that punitive damages were needed to stop them from doing what they were doing. Through discovery they figured out that the McDiabetes corporation made over 1 MILLION dollars a day from coffee sales alone. So the stupid jury ordered only 4 million in punitive damages(designed to PUNISH).

McDiabetes only laughed at that cuz they made a million A DAY for OVER 20 years selling that shit. But what was really brilliant was how the insurance industry turned that travesty of justice 180 degrees and sold it to the sheeple as a reason for the need for tort reform. They should have awarded her 500 million.

Thanks for this effort!
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:
    ckravitz wrote:

I have heard something about that case as well, where it is actually more complicated than the media story. Fair enough. But this Ed lawsuit is absurd.
    rssesq wrote:
    Lawyers gotta eat too.

I hear you. It is a shame though because I truly believe that MOST lawyers really are high integrity folks, but boy o boy the slimy minority really sticks out in that field.

Reposting as it appears to have been overlooked....
  • Options
    RiotZact wrote:
    rival. wrote:

I think Rival was saying that they wished they hadn't seen the images.

Yeah I know I just started ranting there a bit :lol: none of the insults were meant for rival or anyone else here, just Toby Keith.
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:

Hope I have quoted you properly here.

Agreed. The Ed lawsuit is absurd.
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    ckravitz wrote:

For the hot coffee's story

Documetary title : Hot Coffee

The McDonald Story start here
    Pictures of the burns : Here

Sorry for trolling
  • Options
    Longueuil wrote:
    ckravitz wrote:

For the hot coffee's story

Documetary title : Hot Coffee

The McDonald Story start here
    Pictures of the burns : Here

Sorry for trolling

Is this trolling? Or contributing?
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    Well... It's not about EV and Hard Sun's case
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:

Hope I have quoted you properly here.

Agreed. The Ed lawsuit is absurd.

Oh you totally did :thumbup:

I reposted as the original comment is getting far more "air time" than my subsequent agreement that the coffee story wasn't as simple as the media made it to be. I'm not surprised, but wanted to make it clear.