Which guitars go with which tracks?

circlesdowncirclesdown Posts: 308
edited December 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
I figure there's gotta be someone that logs which guitars Stone and Mike play on certain tracks, both studio and live. Couldn't find anything on my own. Anything like this out there?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BHealyBHealy Posts: 466
    Funny, I was just thinking about starting a list for this very thing!
    I'm sure they may switch it up once in a while, but......
    Here's a start:

Alive: Stone-Les Paul, Mike, Les Paul (59')
  • Ledbetter has a strat used on it. Mike talks about it, a lot. It's a '59. I'm assuming he uses that on Black and Alone, too (since they have the same tone).

Jeff uses a Hamer 12 string bass on Why Go, Jeremy, and Leash. Also, I think he uses that or an 8 string on Go.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • There was a pdf released for the Riot Act album
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Given To Wail have a pretty comprehensive list of gear used by the whole band, but they don't break it down to song by song/album by album. As far as guitars they used in the studio go, I don't really think you'd be able to get a detailed list together, as there's no official list like you used to get from bands like Metallica because of their endorsement deals. Plus, its really hard to tell the exact guitar right down to the model based on the track alone. You might hear a meaty rhythm tone and go "Humbuckers!" but that's not going to tell you if it's Les Paul Custom or a Les Paul Standard :P

The band themselves change their gear around a fair bit as well. Like last year when I saw PJ play Isle of Wight, Stone was using a Strat for Even Flow, which I'd never seen/heard of him doing before. That said, there's a lot of continuity on the live stuff. I think that they've tended to stick to the same(ish) gear that they used on the record when they first took new songs on the road, and then started trying the songs on different guitars as time has gone on. Track down videos of the songs you're interested in being played live during the specific era that they were released, and it should give you a good idea of at least the type of guitar, if not the specific model numbers etc.
  • BHealyBHealy Posts: 466
    It would be kind of cool to put together a google docs spreadsheet with guitars and effects used for songs. Or even additional information on amp settings.