Injuries

Gold 26Gold 26 Posts: 676
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I just dropped a guy off at the hospital in my cab who'd punched a door in a rage and three of his fingers were bent in the wrong direction. It looked pretty nasty, so was wondering what the worst injury any of you folks have done to yourselves?
All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I fell down some stairs in 2009 cuz I'm a dumbass and I sprained my ankle. Since I spent a few minutes writhing on the floor in pain I missed my bus and had to walk 2 miles (according to Google) at a relatively brisk pace to take a non-reschedulable 3 hour final. This obviously was not good for my ankle. I didn't treat the injury cuz I didn't know what had happened or what to do besides untie my shoelaces cuz my foot no longer fit into my sneakers it was so swollen. When I finally saw a doctor they ended up sending me to Physical Therapy which I couldn't afford so the guy told me I didn't have to come back that I'd be fine.
    Since the sprain didn't get to heal properly that ankle was weakened or whatever and I ended up re-injuring it 3 more times. This includes commuting to NJ via train to see PJ in a boot. I'd seen 2 different foot doctors before I found out that you're supposed to see Orthopedists for this not foot doctors. I finally saw an Orthopedist who didn't/wouldn't/couldn't (I don't really remember) help me. By the time I finally got the right doctor it's early 2012. Guy looks at an MRI for ten seconds grabs my foot and puts pressure from his thumb on one particular sweet spot that sent an unholy pain shooting through my leg the likes of which i'd never felt before or since. I screamed and nearly kicked him. He did some weird motion with my foot to show me how it feels different (almost no resistance on the fucked up ankle) on each foot and showed me on the MRI picture where the tendon is torn and we work out a schedule for surgery.
    2 weeks before the surgery date I get shitcanned and lose my insurance immediately. The company that handles that shit for my former employer doesn't process the paperwork for me to get the continuation of my coverage for three weeks. Because the insurance lapsed the surgery needs to be "pre authorised" again which is gonna take another three weeks and my doctor is off to Greece for the summer. The insurance finally comes through and the monthly payment turns out to be half of my income. I can't pay this so the whole thing falls apart. I can't find insurance I can afford and I can't find a clinic that will help me.
    Fast forward to present day, a year and a half later, whatever the fuck was wrong with the ankle has now taken over the whole leg. When I stand up from a sitting position I cannot stand up straight right away cuz there's an intense pain taking over the top part of my leg on the side, starting mid-butt and going all the way down. Once I start moving it's alright, but I also can't move too much cuz after an hour or so the ankle starts swelling up and aching.

The moral of the story? Don't read your email while walking down stairs.
    Also live someplace with healthcare included in your citizenship if at all posible.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    I just stabbed the fuck out of my finger about 15 minutes ago cooking. Bleeding is not the word
  • Gold 26Gold 26 Posts: 676
    Jeez, that makes me glad to have the NHS I guess.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • BM42909BM42909 Posts: 143
    I tore up my knee in Jersey at the July 5th PJ show. Some musclehead on the lawn felt the need to lay me out in the pit during the second encore. My brother pulled me out and I limped to the car after the show.

On the plus side, I knew that I had tickets to see the boys in NYC and Holmdel later in the month...so, WIN/WIN?

Anywho, I also have a problem with hurting myself when I am drunk for the amusement of others. Typical stupid stunts. Lots of scars. Lots of stories.
  • chipped a bone in my elbow and tore ligaments in my knee (acl) which requires surgery. It was a drunken walk home one night fell over multiple times walking over icy ground.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Broke my foot doing ballet in the kitchen as a kid.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • I smashed into a tree with a sled when I was 4 or 5 years old. I was unconscious, blood came out of my ears and nose and my Mom went crazy. Broke my nose. It got blue everytime I hit it afterwards. Nothing left now but a respect of rides that go downwards in a fast way...
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Duska, your story scares me since I sprained my ankle pretty bad and was told to go to PT. Well, even with insurance, can't afford it...it's been a month and my ankle is still bruised and swollen. Still hurts pretty bad since its so cold out now. Ugh.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Duska, your story scares me since I sprained my ankle pretty bad and was told to go to PT. Well, even with insurance, can't afford it...it's been a month and my ankle is still bruised and swollen. Still hurts pretty bad since its so cold out now. Ugh.
    Dude.
    Go see an Orthopedist. I cannot stress enough how much you do not want to end up in my position. I don't want to tell you to sell your soul or something to be able to pay for the PT cuz since I only did one week of it I can't say for sure whether or not it will work. But I didn't finish the PT cuz I couldn't afford the copayments either, and the therapist told me if it's not bothering me I could skip the office visits and just do the at home exercises. See if you can get at least 2 PT sessions in and just explain to the therapist you can't afford to keep going there and ask if he can show you exercises to do at home. If that works for you, make sure you actually DO the exercise no matter how stupid you feel doing them.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435