Options

Maynard's 50th B-Day (Puscifer, A Perfect Circle, Failure)

MSnider44MSnider44 San Diego Posts: 746
edited December 2013 in Other Music
Me and a buddy got tix for the newly added Sunday night show.

Anyone else going that weekend?

http://www.spin.com/articles/maynard-james-keenan-puscifer-perfect-circle-failure-birthday/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    Consider yourself lucky...impossible to see anything MJK related these days unless you live along the West coast.....love seeing concert announcements of 8 shows and 5 of them are in Vegas, pit stop in Arizona to check on the grapes, and the other 3 in California...but I have a feeling that new Tool album is coming in 2014 :? Failure on the bill is an added bonus though, wish I could see them....
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    I think 2014 is going to be a lucky / disappointing year for all of us Tool fans.

Reads like they just can't get together and decide cohesively on a / the direction for the new album.

I could be wrong, though. This is Rolling Stone, and as much as I love the magazine, they do enjoy exaggerating just a bit. 2014 will most likely produce a new Tool album. I mean it has to, right? It's been like 8 years now, which is definitely a longer break between albums than what's normal for Tool.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/maynard-james-keenan-on-next-tool-album-a-very-tedious-process-20131113

I'll give Maynard this: the newer Puscifer (especially the live album / DVD) is freaking legit.

Normally, I wouldn't give a shit about someone's 50th birthday party. But I get the feeling this is getting towards the end of MJK's musical career. Had to pull the trigger. And also, I'm not a wine guy.
  • Options
    Edrock78Edrock78 Posts: 167
    A Perfect Circle just released a live video filmed at Red Rocks and it's amazing. I highly recommend getting it.
  • Options
    Edrock78 wrote:
    A Perfect Circle just released a live video filmed at Red Rocks and it's amazing. I highly recommend getting it.

Dude, I can't find that "A Perfect Circle" DVD from Red Rocks anywhere. You sure it's in actual video format?

I have the new Puscifer DVD, "What Is... Puscifer" and that's amazing.

But no luck on finding the APC DVD.
  • Options
    MSnider44 wrote:
    Edrock78 wrote:

Dude, I can't find that "A Perfect Circle" DVD from Red Rocks anywhere. You sure it's in actual video format?

I have the new Puscifer DVD, "What Is... Puscifer" and that's amazing.

But no luck on finding the APC DVD.
    It's only on iTunes. It's under movies and it's call Stone and Echo
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that they also released all of their albums performed live, which is also on iTunes. They sound great
  • Options
    maynardsux wrote:
    Consider yourself lucky...impossible to see anything MJK related these days unless you live along the West coast.....love seeing concert announcements of 8 shows and 5 of them are in Vegas, pit stop in Arizona to check on the grapes, and the other 3 in California...but I have a feeling that new Tool album is coming in 2014 :? Failure on the bill is an added bonus though, wish I could see them....

I live in Michigan and saw Tool, APC and Puscifer all within the span of 6 months. APC and Puscifer in Detroit and Tool in Toledo. It was a year and half ago but they do get around.
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    i've mentioned this several times in tool related threads, but i think the small runs are all you are going to see from tool going forward. even if they do release an album, which i don't think they will anytime soon, they probably won't tour too heavily for it. maynard is on record as saying his voice can't handle it for long periods of time.

i've seen all 3 bands too though in the last couple of years so they do get around as was mentioned.

but yes, the abundance of APC and Puscifer live stuff on itunes are all amazing, as is the live vinyl they released on black friday.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    McGruffMcGruff Island Of The Goon Posts: 40
    MSnider44 said:
    Me and a buddy got tix for the newly added Sunday night show.

Anyone else going that weekend?

http://www.spin.com/articles/maynard-james-keenan-puscifer-perfect-circle-failure-birthday/
    Have you gotten tickets for Sessanta? Wife and I are going to AC in April, can't wait.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,510
    I'll be at the Boston and Red Rocks shows. 

It will be pretty awesome to see Maynard & Les share a stage together and collaborate on some songs. 
  • Options
    McGruffMcGruff Island Of The Goon Posts: 40

It will be pretty awesome to see Maynard & Les share a stage together and collaborate on some songs. 
    Yeah, I'm pretty pumped for it. I'm avoiding online completely once the tour starts, don't want accidental spoilers. Thankfully the AC show is the 4th show of the tour, so I won't have to stay offline very long.

• Options
    McGruff said:

Yeah, I'm pretty pumped for it. I'm avoiding online completely once the tour starts, don't want accidental spoilers. Thankfully the AC show is the 4th show of the tour, so I won't have to stay offline very long.

That was my plan when I got the RR tickets, as they hadn't yet announced the earlier legs; luckily now the 1st two shows are in Boston so there'll be no spoilers to avoid. 

It was a fun conversation when I told my wife that the tour was coming to Boston after I went & bought tickets for Red Rocks thinking it might only be a SW tour... IDK if she believes I had no idea they were going to add more dates.  :| 

Oh well.. spending my birthday weekend seeing APC, Puscifer & Primus at Red Rocks with a couple buddies is well worth the dirty looks. 
  • Options
    So, there’s a new promo out for Sessanta and there’s familiar face I wasn’t expecting… 
    https://x.com/puscifer/status/1765062530463097340?s=46&t=8gcgOb63bxt_SN15MkuwYg

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    So, there’s a new promo out for Sessanta and there’s familiar face I wasn’t expecting… 

That's awesome. I also didn't realize that Greg Edwards is Puscifer's touring bassist.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:

That's awesome. I also didn't realize that Greg Edwards is Puscifer's touring bassist.
    Yup... He also filled in for James Iha on APCs 2018 tour, and I have to think he'll be doing the same here. (I think he's married to Carina)

Not gonna lie, seeing him AND McJunkins in there was a little disappointing... I was holding out hope that Les might take on bass duties for Puscifer or APC, but whatever... it's going to be great regardless, and I'm ecstatic about Freese being involved... he was the best part of APC's live shows pre 2011. 

These shows are gonna be fun. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:

Yup... He also filled in for James Iha on APCs 2018 tour, and I have to think he'll be doing the same here. (I think he's married to Carina)

Not gonna lie, seeing him AND McJunkins in there was a little disappointing... I was holding out hope that Les might take on bass duties for Puscifer or APC, but whatever... it's going to be great regardless, and I'm ecstatic about Freese being involved... he was the best part of APC's live shows pre 2011. 

I saw that 2018 tour and had no idea it was him. Paz just left the Pixies so let's pile em on. Yeah, I am very excited for these shows. I'm going to two even though I'm mentally prepared for them to be identical.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

I saw that 2018 tour and had no idea it was him. Paz just left the Pixies so let's pile em on. Yeah, I am very excited for these shows. I'm going to two even though I'm mentally prepared for them to be identical.
    I was thinking about Paz this week as well now that she's 'free'... having the violin there for 3 Libras would be pretty f'ing sick. Not to mention I have very fond memories of her from that 2000 tour. 😍😍😍

I hope they change it up, but if they don't... I think I'll be just fine seeing the exact same show a few times over. This is a heavy weight lineup of musicians on the bill. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

I was thinking about Paz this week as well now that she's 'free'... having the violin there for 3 Libras would be pretty f'ing sick. Not to mention I have very fond memories of her from that 2000 tour. 😍😍😍

I hope they change it up, but if they don't... I think I'll be just fine seeing the exact same show a few times over. This is a heavy weight lineup of musicians on the bill. 
    If they do the traditional version of 3 Libras on this tour that will be worth the ticket price alone. I imagine that's a casualty of Maynard's voice issues.
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,480
    MSnider44 said:
    2014 will most likely produce a new Tool album. I mean it has to, right? It's been like 8 years now, which is definitely a longer break between albums than what's normal for Tool.

Normally, I wouldn't give a shit about someone's 50th birthday party. But I get the feeling this is getting towards the end of MJK's musical career. Had to pull the trigger. And also, I'm not a wine guy.
    choop said:
    i've mentioned this several times in tool related threads, but i think the small runs are all you are going to see from tool going forward. even if they do release an album, which i don't think they will anytime soon, they probably won't tour too heavily for it. maynard is on record as saying his voice can't handle it for long periods of time.

It's really fascinating reading decade old comments.

• Options
    This tour is going to be f'ing awesome. Idk how many surprise appearances we'll see outside of LA, (Namely, Justin & Danny) but I'm holding out hope one or two of them make the trip up to Red Rocks. If they don't though, it's going to kick ass regardless. 

• Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,836
    Sweet^ people are I n for a treat with these shows
  • Options
    edited April 3
    Loujoe said:
    From your lips to God's ears... I couldn't have asked for a better show last night. All 3 bands killed it. 
    If anyone's on the fence about going to one of these shows... f'ing go. 
    Seeing Josh Freese play Judith, The Outsider & W&P w/ APC again was religious. Not to mention Tim Alexander on The Hollow. 😍

Apologies for the shitty iPhone. (Yes… that’s Les in the pig mask behind Carina).

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801
    Loujoe said:
    From your lips to God's ears... I couldn't have asked for a better show last night. All 3 bands killed it. 
    Seeing Josh Freese play Judith, The Outsider & W&P w/ APC again was religious. Not to mention Tim Alexander on The Hollow. 😍

Apologies for the shitty iPhone. (Yes… that’s Les in the pig mask behind Carina).

That setlist, stage setup and your enthusiasm has me officially looking for tickets.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Loujoe said:

That setlist, stage setup and your enthusiasm has me officially looking for tickets.
    Don't miss this show. I'm going again tonight and to Red Rocks... if my father's birthday wasn't the weekend of Forest Hills, I would looking into getting there as well. 

It was so great hearing APC live again. I miss that band. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801
    nicknyr15 said:
    Loujoe said:

Don't miss this show. I'm going again tonight and to Red Rocks... if my father's birthday wasn't the weekend of Forest Hills, I would looking into getting there as well. 

APC is who I’ll be there for most. I do like primus as well however I couldn’t get into Puscifer. But either way it’s live music with some of the best musicians around so I’m sure I’ll enjoy their set or possibly even become converted to a fan hahah. After seeing that set, and the fact it’s a Saturday night in one of my favorite venues…. It’s a must now.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Loujoe said:

APC is who I’ll be there for most. I do like primus as well however I couldn’t get into Puscifer. But either way it’s live music with some of the best musicians around so I’m sure I’ll enjoy their set or possibly even become converted to a fan hahah. After seeing that set, and the fact it’s a Saturday night in one of my favorite venues…. It’s a must now.
    When you see Maynard & Carina doing their thing, you're going to become a Puscifer fan. 

Freese has to leave the tour before RR to rejoin Foo, but said if he can sneak back for a show or two before it wraps, he will. 
  • Options
    LCLC North Andover, MA Posts: 260
    Awesome show last night...impressive to be that dialed in on the first night.  The flow of the bands going on and off stage worked perfectly.
    8-29-00 Mansfield, 6-29-03 Montreal, 7-2-03 Mansfield, 7-3-03 Mansfield, 7-11-03, Mansfield, 9-28-04 Boston, 9-29-04 Boston, 10-8-04 Kissimmee, 9-15-05 Montreal, 9-16-05 Ottawa, 5-12-06 Albany, 5-13-06 Hartford, 5-24-06 Boston, 5-25-06 Boston, 6-28-08, Mansfield, 6-30-08 Mansfield, 5-15-10 Hartford, 5-17-10 Boston, 7-19-13 Chicago, 10-15-13 Worcester, 5-2-16 New York City, 8-5-16 Boston, 8-7-16 Boston
    EV- 2008, 2011 Boston
  • Options
    Agree with Merkin Baller's review. Even from worse seats it was an insane show especially in a venue that size. The Puscifer stuff live is not too far off A Perfect Circle for the most part so you'll walk away happy.
  • Options
    There's maybe 1 Puscifer tune I would have swapped out... they really do kill it live. 

I challenge anyone to watch them perform the Remedy live & not walk away a fan.