Options

Views and Sounds from ADA (disabled humans) Seating

ratmandoratmando Outside of Portland, or somewhere like that Posts: 347
edited December 2013 in Given To Fly (live)
Howdy co-infirmed, gimpy, limpy, chair bound, not quite able bodied, and elders who, like myself, are relegated to what arenas feel are fair seating arrangements. I would like to share experiences to see if we could offer each other alternative seating ideas, or hopes of what ideal seating for us would be so we can also be .....well, less placed near beer gartens and bathrooms, and maybe in spots where basketball players sit a row ahead.

First..... have you been able to get disabled seating in arenas that are in different locations from venue mapped spots if you were lucky enough to get seating via 10 club? If so, is it worth trying to go that route?

Second.....I noted some venues allow you to move to a different location if able bodied people seem to have purchased seats set aside for assistance. We're you allowed to move once "placed"?

3- have you noticed that assigned locations you thought were purchased suddenly changed as you were going to your seats because security didn't feel your canes would be anything but a bother to those around you?

Lastly...those of us who have service dogs may find we are placed DIRECTLY in line of large speakers. I refrain from pimping up any products, but were you able to alter your location so that your animal wasn't directly affected, or did you, (as we do) use a product that helps protect the animal's ears?

I was grateful that despite missing the club lottery cut off I still got handI- seats, but although so happy to hear and feel my heroes around me, that if tv screens weren't available it would just be a ginormous listening party, with many people tripping on that last step and ensuring I had beautifully beer conditioned wavy locks. It was magical sharing a once in a lifetime experience but so sad in some ways that we kind of get the "time out" seats.

Nothing was more emotionally charged as those first few songs in Pheonix when I think I cried redwood of tissues just from the first few songs. Having two amazingly strong, powerful women offer to dance FOR me as I struggled to sway with them -they will be in my hearts forever. I am so happy that after 30 years, seeing Jeff not realize who I was because of the chair then give an "oh wow" in recognition as I rolled away.

What were your experiences, and what advice would you give other alternative abled folks when attending. Again, thanks to all of the kind and loving folks who actually acknowledged rather than ignored Monty dog, and me.... see you on the flipside...chakka.
When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

Henry David Thoreau