Options

Setlist Statistics (pjdb.net)

RoelandRoeland Posts: 177
edited January 2014 in The Porch
Hi guys, I've been working on a site that collects all PJ setlists and calculates some fun statistics. The main features are
  • Statistics per song(s), album(s), show(s), part of a show (main set, encore, ...)
  • Filters to apply to only include shows played in a country or at a venue, between two dates or to exclude types of shows (e.g. Eddie solo shows)
  • Personal stats: you can create an account, register the shows you have attended and view all stats for the shows you attended
  • Setlist finder to find shows were certain songs have been played

I've just put a first version of it online at http://www.pjdb.net .

Let me know what you think. Any suggestions, remarks or comments are welcome. Certain data, especially venues, can still use some cleanup, so if you note any errors, please let me know.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RE4790RE4790 Posts: 795
    I like this, but the menu structure feels awkward. Other than that the only thing that's a bit weird is the ordering on your list of entries under "song played" on the rules section of the find setlist page.
  • Options
    MK13579MK13579 Posts: 217
    Have you seen www.livefootsteps.org
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    great idea, but you need to be able to search for a show! or a country, or a city
    Very hard to create your stats if you can't easily find the shows you have attended
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    RE4790 wrote:
    I like this, but the menu structure feels awkward. Other than that the only thing that's a bit weird is the ordering on your list of entries under "song played" on the rules section of the find setlist page.
    The songs are sorted per album, and albums most recent to oldest. There were "sublabels" included with the album titles but the script which makes the dropdown box searchable (you can click the box and type something to filter the songs) messes with those labels.
    great idea, but you need to be able to search for a show! or a country, or a city
    Very hard to create your stats if you can't easily find the shows you have attended

You can search for shows on the My Shows page by entering text in the fields at the top:
    Agtldzu.png
    If you enter a text, the table will filter the column below on that value, for example:
    XEMYtrd.png
  • Options
    Gold 26Gold 26 Posts: 676
    In the opening songs section you've got 'Can't Keep' twice, on 17 and 7.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Awesome! Thank you. I don't have (or want) an Iphone so I have been waiting for this.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    Can EV shows be separated from PJ shows?
    Not a true representation of show stats
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    Is it query-able by other code? Like a "GET" type string to extract records? Would be cool since it would allow for a mobile ecosystem to evolve to leverage what you have already done. If the various PJ related mobile apps could use this as the foundational dataset for concerts, they could focus on other things like the social networking aspects, ticket trades, the old "where's your 10c seat?" database that touringfans used to do, etc.
  • Options
    Can EV shows be separated from PJ shows?
    Not a true representation of show stats
    You can select PJ shows only or EV shows only through a filter: Filters (top right) > edit Filters > Show types filters
    RE4790 wrote:
    Is it query-able by other code? Like a "GET" type string to extract records? Would be cool since it would allow for a mobile ecosystem to evolve to leverage what you have already done. If the various PJ related mobile apps could use this as the foundational dataset for concerts, they could focus on other things like the social networking aspects, ticket trades, the old "where's your 10c seat?" database that touringfans used to do, etc.
    I could set up an XML feed (or other) if someone is interested in doing something with it.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    just greate an acount,great job,thank you.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Bump for the greatest statistical website in the Pearl Jam world.

Thanks So Much....

Will write more later, but now, on to the loading of my concerts!!!!
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    No Ukelele Stats, although Sleeping by Myself Ed and Sleeping by Myself PJ aren't separate. Prob the same for Cant Keep.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Would recommend you add this event for Hullabaloo.

15. 05/05/07 - Henry Fonda Theatre, Hollywood, CA (EV,JI)

It was Eddie Vedder, Jack Irons, and Flea.

Here is the setlist.

Walking the Cow
    Drifting
    I Am Mine
    No More War

With Flea and Jack Irons:

Throw Your Hatred Down
    Watch Outside
    Corduroy
    Habit
    Better Man
    The Kids Are Alright (with Steve Jones)
  • Options
    Looks like you are missing the setlists from the two Los Angeles, Wiltern, EV Solo Shows from 2008. Here are the setlists....

April 12, 2008 at Wiltern Theater - Los Angeles

Event Details

Main Set
    Walking The Cow
    Around The Bend
    I Am Mine
    Dead Man
    I'm Open
    God Is In Control / Limit Yourself
    Masters Of War
    Man Of The Hour
    Setting Forth
    Guaranteed
    No Ceiling
    Far Behind
    Rise
    Millworker
    Soon Forget
    Broken Hearted
    Driftin'
    You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
    Trouble
    If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out
    I Won't Back Down
    Forever Young
    Porch
    (Encore 1)
    Society
    Throw Your Arms Around Me
    No More
    Arc
    (Encore 2)
    Growin' Up
    Lukin
    Hard Sun

Trivia & Notes
    Can't Keep and Picture In A Frame were on the setlist but not played.
    Liam Finn joined Eddie for Society and Throw Your Arms Around Me.
    Liam Finn and Eliza Jane Barnes joined Eddie for Hard Sun.
    Eddie was presented with a Golden Globe statuette and gave an acceptance speech in between the Into The Wild songs.
    God Is In Control and Limit Yourself were inspired by commercials for Christian rock compilations that Eddie saw on TV.

April 13, 2008 at Wiltern Theater - Los Angeles

Event Details

Liam Finn
    Main Set
    Walking The Cow
    Around The Bend
    I Am Mine
    Dead Man
    Thumbing My Way
    Man Of The Hour
    Setting Forth
    Guaranteed
    No Ceiling
    Far Behind
    Rise
    Millworker
    Goodbye
    Soon Forget
    Driftin'
    You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
    Picture In A Frame
    Trouble
    Happy Birthday
    Porch (Encore 1)
    Society
    Throw Your Arms Around Me
    Lukin
    Arc (Encore 2)
    Last Kiss
    No More
    Hard Sun
    All Along the Watchtower

Trivia & Notes
    Happy Birthday was sung to Eddie's grandma Margaret.
    Liam Finn joined Eddie on Society and [Throw Your Arms Around Me]].
    Jack Irons joined Eddie for Last Kiss.
    Ben Harper and Jack Irons joined Eddie for No More.
    Liam Finn, Eliza Jane Barnes, and Ben Harper joined Eddie for Hard Sun and Watchtower.
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Just made an account and was playing around, Very cool! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Just noticed that Sleeping By Myself Ed Solo version and PJ version counts as the same. Not sure I agree with that, but it is your website.. Is there a way to toggle all Ed solo shows out of the stats?
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    No Ukelele Stats, although Sleeping by Myself Ed and Sleeping by Myself PJ aren't separate. Prob the same for Cant Keep.
    FrankieG wrote:
    Just made an account and was playing around, Very cool! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Just noticed that Sleeping By Myself Ed Solo version and PJ version counts as the same. Not sure I agree with that, but it is your website.. Is there a way to toggle all Ed solo shows out of the stats?

I've added Ukelele Songs. Ed solo and group versions are indeed counting as the same. I could split them up but then the problem would be where to draw the line, what would you do with Ed presets, Ed solo songs at the beginning of encores...
    You can deselect Ed solo shows through the filter menu.
    Wilds wrote:
    Would recommend you add this event for Hullabaloo.

15. 05/05/07 - Henry Fonda Theatre, Hollywood, CA (EV,JI)
    Wilds wrote:
    Looks like you are missing the setlists from the two Los Angeles, Wiltern, EV Solo Shows from 2008. Here are the setlists....

April 12, 2008 at Wiltern Theater - Los Angeles
    Thanks, both have been updated.
  • Options
    Awesome. I love, love, love this site!

I've been dreaming about it ever since 2006 when PJStattracker and I started talking about creating our own site. Problem with that is, I'm an idiot, and Jeff (although brilliant) was too busy. Eventually he left me in the dust and created the Stat Tracker, but without an Iphone I was still out.

So now after all these years, I couldn't be happier to have access to your site.
  • Options
    BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    This is cool- I love stats and can totally geek out on this! THanks!
  • Options
    Hey roeland, gotta say......LOVE THE SITE. beats my excel spreadsheet anyday....

very cool for us to have this now.

I would like to say something about the awards.

might I suggest awards for FIRSTS. ie first Parachutes ever played in Boston 2006 and so forth

awards for Trilogies witnessed. "man" trilogy, mamasan, reverse mamasan, "you" trilogy, "I"
    trilogy, etc.

if not awards, some way of pointing out the special stuff in the setlists?

GREAT JOB
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    Roeland wrote:
    I've added Ukelele Songs. Ed solo and group versions are indeed counting as the same. I could split them up but then the problem would be where to draw the line, what would you do with Ed presets, Ed solo songs at the beginning of encores...

I've obviously spent a considerable amount of time thinking about and discussing (especially with Wilds) where to draw this line. There is no right answer, and believe me when I say people are very passionate about it. Here are my thoughts after working on this stuff for a couple of years:

- If it is played at a Pearl Jam event, then it is considered a Pearl Jam performance. This means pre-sets, EV solo performances, etc. are all part of the Pearl Jam show that night. Wilds recently pointed out that this makes the Bob Dylan tribute performance from '92 an EV solo event (plus Mike), and I agree with that.

- IMO, Sleeping By Myself by Pearl Jam is a different song than Sleeping By Myself by Eddie Vedder. It has a different structure and tone, but most importantly - like Can't Keep - it is on a Pearl Jam album. This is different than, say, Setting Forth which I consider a Pearl Jam cover of an EV song.

- I have also determined that only performances with a proper audience count. This means I don't include radio performance, sound checks, etc., but do include Saturday Night Live, Letterman, and the like.

Inevitably, your line will be different from mine and I think that's totally fine. Take it all with a grain of salt and keep up the great work! I'm happy to have something to point to for the non-iOS crowd.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    Roeland wrote:

I've obviously spent a considerable amount of time thinking about and discussing (especially with Wilds) where to draw this line. There is no right answer, and believe me when I say people are very passionate about it. Here are my thoughts after working on this stuff for a couple of years:

- If it is played at a Pearl Jam event, then it is considered a Pearl Jam performance. This means pre-sets, EV solo performances, etc. are all part of the Pearl Jam show that night. Wilds recently pointed out that this makes the Bob Dylan tribute performance from '92 an EV solo event (plus Mike), and I agree with that.

- IMO, Sleeping By Myself by Pearl Jam is a different song than Sleeping By Myself by Eddie Vedder. It has a different structure and tone, but most importantly - like Can't Keep - it is on a Pearl Jam album. This is different than, say, Setting Forth which I consider a Pearl Jam cover of an EV song.

- I have also determined that only performances with a proper audience count. This means I don't include radio performance, sound checks, etc., but do include Saturday Night Live, Letterman, and the like.

Inevitably, your line will be different from mine and I think that's totally fine. Take it all with a grain of salt and keep up the great work! I'm happy to have something to point to for the non-iOS crowd.

For me, I totally count EV solo performances of Pearl Jam songs in my stats. So very happy to have that option. I do this mostly for the inclusion of Arc, which is the same version heard in 2003 nine times, only perfected in a better setting, without the crowd chatter.

With that said, if Stone ever busted out Mankind at a solo gig, I think that would count. So for me it's more about the "Pearl Jam" songs heard, than it is "Pearl Jam" doing pearl jam songs, as long as a member of Pearl Jam is doing the singing.

I've only got two songs from EV Solo that I don't have by the "whole band", Arc, and Can't Keep. But if I never hear the entire band do those two songs, and finally get "Get Right", I'll feel satisfied that I've heard all of Riot Act.
  • Options
    Roeland wrote:

I think you nailed it and I like the way you do it in your app. EV solo shows should not count anymore than hearing Boom sing one at a tikki bar nor should PJ members guesting with opening acts, but Ed pre-sets should. Like you said, anything done in the context of a PJ concert is a PJ performance.

The only thing I disagree with, and I think we chatted about this briefly while you were promoting the app at PJ20 IIRC, is that you treat tags as performances in many cases. A few lines from a song shouldn't count IMHO (WMA being the most frequent example), but opinions are like a**holes and I respect the hell out of what you you made.
  • Options
    RE4790 wrote:

The only thing I disagree with, and I think we chatted about this briefly while you were promoting the app at PJ20 IIRC, is that you treat tags as performances in many cases. A few lines from a song shouldn't count IMHO (WMA being the most frequent example), but opinions are like a**holes and I respect the hell out of what you you made.

Yeah this is something that people are about 50/50 on, so I went with the option that is most inclusive. I think in the next version I will specify how many times you have seen a full song vs. tagged, but will still let the tagged songs count toward the trophies. I still believe that they are, even if in a small way, a performance of the song. I totally get your point of view there, though.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,201
    Any way to get tags added as songs?

I think the only album I've seen front to back is Vs. Pearl Jam did quite a good tag of W.M.A (attached to daughter) at calgary 09, but it doesn't get listed as a song I've seen live. I think it should count :)
  • Options
    Zod wrote:

I think the only album I've seen front to back is Vs. Pearl Jam did quite a good tag of W.M.A (attached to daughter) at calgary 09, but it doesn't get listed as a song I've seen live. I think it should count :)

disagree. tag is not full song.

WMA at MSG in 2008 is a full rendition of the song.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,201
    Zod wrote:

It still is the song though. It's not like I've never heard pearl jam play any of W.M.A.

I guess this is the 50/50 argument the poster above is talking about :)
  • Options
    Zod wrote:
    Zod wrote:

It still is the song though. It's not like I've never heard pearl jam play any of W.M.A.

I guess this is the 50/50 argument the poster above is talking about :)

yes...exactly!

">here</a>.
    or

• Options
    From all of us Android users who couldn't use the iPhone app, thank you for this site!
  • Options
    Just got to say good job with this site. I had created a spreadsheet a while back trying to track my 36 shows and this makes it way easier. Cool to see all the stats on my dashboard. Thanks again!
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    260427.jpg