Escargo?

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,639
edited November 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
It's C's and my Part one of our ninth wedding anniversary (we got married two days in a row) and so tonight just to have something "special", we're going to start dinner with escargot (for me, the first time ever). I'm generally into simple fare and the less meat the better but, really, can you call snails meat? :lol:
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jw234911jw234911 Posts: 255
    Slime
  • We had a large pet snail once. He was very interesting, and somewhat disgusting. He loved to eat lettuce and lived for 3 and 1/2 years. Not eating them. :roll: ;)
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,639
    We had a large pet snail once. He was very interesting, and somewhat disgusting. He loved to eat lettuce and lived for 3 and 1/2 years. Not eating them. :roll: ;)

No worries- me neither. We wanted take out and they said escargo gets rubbery if you don't eat it right away. There are a handful of very happy snails out there who will live another day. :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Escargo.
    My car go,
    One sixty
    Swiftly....

The snails were lucky. Biggie wasn't.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • brianlux wrote:
    We had a large pet snail once. He was very interesting, and somewhat disgusting. He loved to eat lettuce and lived for 3 and 1/2 years. Not eating them. :roll: ;)

No worries- me neither. We wanted take out and they said escargo gets rubbery if you don't eat it right away. There are a handful of very happy snails out there who will live another day. :D
    :lol: You are probably better off. I had some rubbery calamari once -- it was like eating a box of rubber thumbs.
    92553.JPG
  • I've had it...

The thing is (when I had it), escargot is soaked in butter to the point that it's flavorless except the butter, and the snail itself is about the size of a fingernail. You hardly notice that you're eating it.

If anyone brags that they ate snail, it should have to be the size of the African Snail:

http://planetoddity.com/the-african-gia ... -on-earth/
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    I dont know why but something compels me to try them. Will head off to try some soon and let you know what there like 8-)
    I've had it...

The thing is (when I had it), escargot is soaked in butter to the point that it's flavorless except the butter, and the snail itself is about the size of a fingernail. You hardly notice that you're eating it.

If anyone brags that they ate snail, it should have to be the size of the African Snail:

:shock: I could not eat that! :lol:

JWPearl wrote:
    I dont know why but something compels me to try them. Will head off to try some soon and let you know what there like 8-)

Yes, let us know, brave soul!

• brianlux wrote:
    I've had it...

:shock: I could not eat that! :lol:
    :lol::lol::lol: Jerry, our pet snail was about the size of the small one in the second pic in the link above. I don't even think I could keep one of those giant ones as a pet. They'd eat you out of house and home. :roll: :lol::lol:
  • CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    Escargo.
    My car go,
    One sixty
    Swiftly....

The snails were lucky. Biggie wasn't.
    :lol:
  • I had these once.

Once.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I've had it...

Don't forget the garlic! At least, that's how I ate them - the one and only time (first and second bites were sizzling hot and TASTY. Third bite, not so much, and by then the couple glasses of wine and realization of what I was eating and how fucked up the texture was thoroughly hit me :oops: )

I'm like that with food though; if I think I can stomach it, I'll try anything. It's how I discovered my love of sushi, and my disdain for brains.
    hedonist wrote:
    I've had it...

Don't forget the garlic! At least, that's how I ate them - the one and only time (first and second bites were sizzling hot and TASTY. Third bite, not so much, and by then the couple glasses of wine and realization of what I was eating and how fucked up the texture was thoroughly hit me :oops: )

I'm like that with food though; if I think I can stomach it, I'll try anything. It's how I discovered my love of sushi, and my disdain for brains.

Speaking of weird foods, when I was in the 8th grade a friend brought a bag of deep fried grasshoppers that he brought back from a family trip to Alaska. He offered me one and I passed but he kept bugging me about how great they were and what a chicken I was to not try one. I finally relent and badly cringed as I shoved this disgusting completely intact fried insect into my mouth... and chewed... and swallowed... and begged for more. They were incredibly delicious!

• brianlux wrote:
    hedonist wrote:
    I've had it...

Speaking of weird foods, when I was in the 8th grade a friend brought a bag of deep fried grasshoppers that he brought back from a family trip to Alaska. He offered me one and I passed but he kept bugging me about how great they were and what a chicken I was to not try one. I finally relent and badly cringed as I shoved this disgusting completely intact fried insect into my mouth... and chewed... and swallowed... and begged for more. They were incredibly delicious!

:shock: :lol::lol: I like how he kept... "bugging you." :P
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    brianlux wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

:shock: :lol::lol: I like how he kept... "bugging you." :P

Ah! I missed my own pun! :lol::lol::lol:

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    :|

I had it...once.

There is a reason I only had it once.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless