JFK 50 - (22/11/63 - 22/11/13)

PapPap Posts: 28,762
edited November 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PapPap Posts: 28,762
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    I'm curious to see how many people think Oswald acted alone vs. a conspiracy. I usually don't buy conspiracies but for this one I think absolutely it is more than Oswald acting alone. I say conspiracy on this one.
    Me too. I believe that all had to do with him having given to the Minister of Economy the benefit to print "silver certificates". That was the point where the Federal Bank feared that it was going to lose its power.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I think based on the difficulty of the shot on a moving target, combined with a short shot sequence and a medicore bolt-action rifle make it hard for me to believe that Oswald would be able to pull it off alone if at all.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,662
    pjhawks wrote:
    I'm curious to see how many people think Oswald acted alone vs. a conspiracy. I usually don't buy conspiracies but for this one I think absolutely it is more than Oswald acting alone. I say conspiracy on this one.
    We determined yesterday that Unlost was in the grassy knoll

viewtopic.php?p=5361129#p5361129
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Wait, I thought it was just one bullet?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    edited November 2013
    JK_Livin wrote:

I'm not sure about the exact number. It may have been 2-3, but from where? Back or front? ;)
    Post edited by Pap on
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Pap wrote:
    Me too. I believe that all had to do with him having given to the Minister of Economy the benefit to print "silver certificates". That was the point where the Federal Bank feared that it was going to lose its power.

I don't think this was it at all.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    ^ I would like to listen to your explanation.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    JK_Livin wrote:
    but it was a magical bullet. :geek:
  • I wondered if any discussion of this man's life and death would quickly turn to which conspiracy theory to believe. JFK is more a figure of pop culture now than a real person. I can joke about it all as much as the next person but it would be nice if occasionally the assassination was something more than a punch line.

Not trying to sound sanctimonious. Like everyone else, I've been bombarded by the media coverage the last few weeks, especially locally. Kennedy spent his last night in my home town so there are lots of people with memories, myself included. I was only 9 but I still remember what a big deal it was that the president was coming to visit. Then how strange and confusing everything was after what happened in Dallas.

I liked what Ed said at the Dallas show last week--it was an event comparable to 9/11 which united the country for a time.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Pap wrote:
    ^ I would like to listen to your explanation.

I believe it was some combination of a planned coup of Cuba (which never happened because JFK was killed), Mafia intervention, and massive cover-up by the FBA, CIA (and possible even Robert Kennedy and LBJ to avoid international conflict if new of a planned Cuba coup ever got out).

Oswald almost definitely did not act alone.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Went to the Book Depository the Sunday after the Dallas Show... Sat at the window sill next to the one where Oswald was apparently shooting from. I am NOT a gun person, in fact never could touch one. But going down afterwards to see where the bullets hit, it seems like a really difficult second shot.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... iracy.html

George Carlin:
    It’s also interesting to notice who it is we assassinate. You ever notice who it is, got to think who it is we kill? It’s always people who’ve told us to live together in harmony and try to love one another. Jesus, Gandhi, Lincoln, John Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Medgar Evers, Malcolm X, John Lennon, they all said, “Try to live together peacefully.” Bam! Right in the fucking head! Apparently we’re not ready for that.
  • RoughMixRoughMix Posts: 385
    I think Oswald was the lone shooter.But I don't believe he acted alone.
    Meaning there was someone who was backing him.
    Mafia maybe and /or people high up the military chain.
    The murder of Oswald was a mafia style hit.Once that happened the key
    man was gone.
    Oswald's first shot missed,hit a streetlight that the motorcade passed under
    shortly after the limo turned onto Elm Street.
    This was not caught on the Zapruder film because he had stopped filming momentarily.
    Second shot hit Kennedy and Connelly.The so called magic bullet.There was no magic at all.
    Third shot was the infamous head shot.
    Maybe we will never know.
    I think some info, which is sealed, will come out many years from now.
    Either way it is fascinating once you start digging deeper into it.
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Yesterday the local ABC affiliate here in Dallas aired their news coverage from that day in its entirety and it was pretty bizarre to watch. The weirdest thing was that because of a strange turn of events, Jerry Haynes, also known as Mr. Peppermint and the father of Gibby Haynes from Butthole Surfers, was one of the two guys relaying the news.

He wasn't dressed as Mr. Peppermint or anything, just a suit, but apparently he had been out to lunch with the program director (the other guy who did the news with him that day) and went to stand along the route, and after the assassination they were the first to make it back to the station so they went on the air. I didn't recognize him at first because he looked so young and sad. I knew him as a cheery old man in a peppermint suit.

It was just bizarre seeing Mr. Peppermint at the news desk reading the reports coming in from Parkland and Oak Cliff. Assassins, slain police officers, scenes "too gruesome to describe" and things like that weren't the normal Mr. Peppermint topics.

0924_PEP16x923.jpg
    WFAA_0.JPG
    BY591J5CcAAM3e5.jpg
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Yesterday the local ABC affiliate here in Dallas aired their news coverage from that day in its entirety and it was pretty bizarre to watch. The weirdest thing was that because of a strange turn of events, Jerry Haynes, also known as Mr. Peppermint and the father of Gibby Haynes from Butthole Surfers, was one of the two guys relaying the news.

He wasn't dressed as Mr. Peppermint or anything, just a suit, but apparently he had been out to lunch with the program director (the other guy who was did the news with him that day) and went to stand along the route, and after the assassination they were the first to make it back to the station so they went on the air. I didn't recognize him at first because he looked so young and sad. I knew him as a cheery old man in a peppermint suit.

It was just bizarre seeing Mr. Peppermint at the news desk reading the reports coming in from Parkland and Oak Cliff. Assassins, slain police officers, scenes "too gruesome to describe" and things like that weren't the normal Mr. Peppermint topics.
    He was already portraying Mr. Peppermint way before that. I loved him when I was a kid. It would be strange to see him in that role, reporting the news. It's strange seeing the really young Bob Schieffer and Dan Rather too.

My dad was at a business meeting in Dallas that day. Several of them had gone to lunch and as they were going back to the office they had to wait as the motorcade passed by. It took some time before they were able to cross the street and get back to the office. When they got there, everyone was frantic and telling them that the president had been shot. My dad and the people he'd been with said it was impossible, they'd just seen him go by. It always seemed to bother my dad that he'd been in Dallas that day, like it was a Twilight Zone experience.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Yesterday the local ABC affiliate here in Dallas aired their news coverage from that day in its entirety and it was pretty bizarre to watch. The weirdest thing was that because of a strange turn of events, Jerry Haynes, also known as Mr. Peppermint and the father of Gibby Haynes from Butthole Surfers, was one of the two guys relaying the news.

He wasn't dressed as Mr. Peppermint or anything, just a suit, but apparently he had been out to lunch with the program director (the other guy who was did the news with him that day) and went to stand along the route, and after the assassination they were the first to make it back to the station so they went on the air. I didn't recognize him at first because he looked so young and sad. I knew him as a cheery old man in a peppermint suit.

He was already portraying Mr. Peppermint way before that. I loved him when I was a kid. It would be strange to see him in that role, reporting the news. It's strange seeing the really young Bob Schieffer and Dan Rather too.

My dad was at a business meeting in Dallas that day. Several of them had gone to lunch and as they were going back to the office they had to wait as the motorcade passed by. It took some time before they were able to cross the street and get back to the office. When they got there, everyone was frantic and telling them that the president had been shot. My dad and the people he'd been with said it was impossible, they'd just seen him go by. It always seemed to bother my dad that he'd been in Dallas that day, like it was a Twilight Zone experience.

I didn't know he went back that far (Wikipedia says he started in '61), but at one point in the coverage they said he played Mr. Peppermint. Otherwise I never would have guessed that was him. He came to my school once when I was a kid, and I used to watch Peppermint Place when I was really little. I never would have guessed he had ties to the Kennedy Assassination. It was weird enough he was Gibby's father, something that I don't think really became well-known until I was in high school and Butthole Surfers had success with "Electriclarryland". I read an interview with Gibby a while back where he said that his dad always pretended to like his music, but Gibby suspected he really hated it. I have a hard time imagining Mr. Peppermint spinning "Locust Abortion Technician".
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    After all these years , I'm so intrigued by this, despite the fact that I was -3 years old. :lol:

Cleaning all the documentaries off my DVR today ,
    everything from Tom Brokaws special ,
    to the History Channels endless coverage yesterday .

I dont know how I feel about all the various conspiracy theories
    but its pretty clear there were multiple shots from multiple angles/vantage points.

Weather or not you liked the man,
    you have to respect the office
    and this was a sad day for America.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • I didn't know he went back that far (Wikipedia says he started in '61), but at one point in the coverage they said he played Mr. Peppermint. Otherwise I never would have guessed that was him. He came to my school once when I was a kid, and I used to watch Peppermint Place when I was really little. I never would have guessed he had ties to the Kennedy Assassination. It was weird enough he was Gibby's father, something that I don't think really became well-known until I was in high school and Butthole Surfers had success with "Electriclarryland". I read an interview with Gibby a while back where he said that his dad always pretended to like his music, but Gibby suspected he really hated it. I have a hard time imagining Mr. Peppermint spinning "Locust Abortion Technician".
    I started 1st grade in 61 and I can remember watching him before I'd ever started school. Maybe he was only on briefly in earlier years or maybe I was watching him in early 61. He and Captain Kangaroo, my 2 morning guys. :lol:

Yeah, I always wondered about that too, could he seriously like Gibby's music. :lol:
  • How could JFK's head snap back if he was shot from behind?
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I had never heard of this before. You just have to listen to the beginning - it's so sad and chilling.

"On November 22, 1963, conductor Erich Leinsdorf was leading the regular Friday afternoon BSO concert at Symphony Hall. Before the program began, it had been reported across the nation that president John F. Kennedy had been shot by a sniper while riding in a motorcade in Dallas. It was known, too, that his injuries were serious, but that was all the information that was available.

During the first half of the concert, what was feared became confirmed: Kennedy's wounds were fatal. Monitoring news reports backstage at Symphony Hall, orchestra officials determined to continue the concert, but with a change in the program. Librarians pulled orchestral parts to Beethoven's "Eroica" funeral march from the shelves and brought them down to the stage door. After learning of the tragedy himself backstage, Leinsdorf walked back onstage, relayed word to the audience, and led the BSO in a work in tribute to the nation's fallen leader."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVNKNz-lc6k
  • RoughMixRoughMix Posts: 385
    How could JFK's head snap back if he was shot from behind?

They have refuted that.
    What experts did was superimposed Zapruder frames 312 and 313.This showed the kennedy's head did actually move forward before slumping back into the seat.
    Also,when the film was restored you can actually see the blood and brain spraying toward the front of the vehicle.
    I thought for years there was more than one shooter.But after looking at everything I just can't
    believe there was someone else shooting.
    However it does make for great debate, and this incident galvanized the U.S.almost like non other.
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I believe he acted alone. Perhaps influenced by some other group who held their own ideas on how the country should be run, but I'm certain he was the sole shooter.
    The shot really isn't that hard for an above average marksman even with a bolt action rifle.
  • RoughMix wrote:
    How could JFK's head snap back if he was shot from behind?

They have refuted that.
    What experts did was superimposed Zapruder frames 312 and 313.This showed the kennedy's head did actually move forward before slumping back into the seat.

Yeah, plus Kennedy was wearing a back brace under his suit jacket. This is the likely reason his body reacted the way it did. The brace fixed him in an upright position. The force of the shot made the brace act almost like a spring board, transferring the momentum in the opposite direction because his body was held in place.

He was already leaning to his left (towards Jackie) after the shot that went through his throat, and then the head shot pushed him right over. That's likely how he went back and to his left.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self