A sweet little travel guitar.

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,740
edited December 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
Having finally unloaded some seldom used gear I recently took up my search yet again for the right travel guitar- something compact, affordable and decent sounding. Well, I found the one- a Martin LX1, dubbed, "The Little Martin". It's ridiculous to say this but I'm practically in love with this little baby. It's everything I've been looking for in a good sounding small guitar. My first impression was that it sounded a bit weak but that was because I was over-playing it. I just needed to yield to its more subtle qualities and having found the right touch I couldn't be happier. I picked this one up on sale for a very reasonable price through a very fine local shop- Nicholson Music CO. in Folsom, CA. What a sweet deal and what a sweet little guitar. Not to sound like I'm throwing a sales pitch but I really can't say enough about it. My other guitars will be lonely for a while because even though I got the Little Martin mainly for travel it is- at least for now- my go to acoustic guitar.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I love small acoustics. I picked up Taylor GS mini last year. Just an incredible instrument.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    I was just at guitar center picking out a travel guitar. Choice was down to the Martin LX1 or this Traveler Acoustic that was the same length but had a full size neck. The Martin sounded better but I went with the full sized neck as it played a little easier. I kept going back and forth though and have a little buyer's remorse as the sound is not as good. Congrats on finding the Martin and enjoying it.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,740
    I was just at guitar center picking out a travel guitar. Choice was down to the Martin LX1 or this Traveler Acoustic that was the same length but had a full size neck. The Martin sounded better but I went with the full sized neck as it played a little easier. I kept going back and forth though and have a little buyer's remorse as the sound is not as good. Congrats on finding the Martin and enjoying it.

The shorter neck does take a little getting used to and requires watching more closely while playing. The one change I would have made on the LX1 (as well as with the DX series Martins) would be putting inlays on the fret board at the 5,7,9, and 12th frets besides the tiny dots on the side of the neck- much like the D-18s and up have. That would help a lot with staying in the right key. Of course, the lack of inlays is one of the ways they kept the price down and both series guitars really are well priced.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• BHealyBHealy Posts: 466
    I got a Baby Taylor in the last year, and its an amazing sounding little guitar. I chose it over the Little Martin because the BT I tried seemed a little brighter, but they are both great!