Fire Alarms in Ice Hotel. Hmmm, two questions...

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,639
edited November 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Weird story of the day:

My first question is (sort of) answered in the article: Why the need for fire alarms?

My second question is not answered: Why the f*ck would anyone want to sleep in a motel made of ice where temperature reach as low as 18 degrees Fahrenheit at a cost of $285 per night- transportation not included? :wtf: :fp: :crazy:

http://news.yahoo.com/swedish-ice-hotel ... 57258.html

Swedish ice hotel to install fire alarms

Stockholm (AFP) - A famous hotel rebuilt every winter in northern Sweden using only ice said Thursday it would install fire alarms this year.

The hotel, located in the small Arctic town of Jukkasjaervi, is following a request by the authorities to guarantee the safety of its guests.

"We were a little surprised at first, but the reason is that there are things that can actually catch fire, like pillows, sleeping bags or reindeer skins," hotel spokeswoman Beatrice Karlsson said.

"To us the most important concern is the safety of our clients, so we will comply," she added.

The hotel will open from December 6 to April 13, with prices ranging from 1,900 kronor (212 euro, $285) for a single room to 7,500 kronor for the most expensive suite.

Tourists come from all over the world to sleep on an ice bed in temperatures as low as minus eight degrees Celsius (18 degrees Fahrenheit).

The alarms, which were already tested last winter with the local fire department, have made construction of the hotel, conceived as a work of art, even harder than before.

"The environment is humid, and ice and snow... move, so it had to be taken into account," Karlsson said.

"It's been a challenge for our building team, but it made us one experience richer."
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,662
    brianlux wrote:
    Weird story of the day:

My first question : Why the need for fire alarms?
    In case EVH sets it on fire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT8RdKN8u9w

:mrgreen:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    My only guess is that if the stuff inside the room catch fire, you would want to leave before the fire melts the walls andbrings the room down onto ajdacent rooms?
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    Maybe i'ts a commercial trick .. :)
  • It got down to 0c in September when we were camping, so to pay to have the allure of ice and snow around me, I'd do it for a night. Sure beats trudging through the forest, in 50c humid weather. Up here in the north we have a saying: you can always put on clothes to stay warm, but you can't peel off enough to cool down.

Why put sprinklers in buildings? Who actually waits to see if they are going to do their job! At least the alarm can get you up and out of there.

"Hey babe you hear the fire alarm?!?!" "Yeah, but it's a hotel made of snow, just go back to sleep and we'll wake up in a warm puddle in the morning."

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I see that Sweden has copied the California Building Code and also instigated the logic of their inspectors.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,639
    Jason P wrote:
    I see that Sweden has copied the California Building Code and also instigated the logic of their inspectors.

:lol: I wonder if that logic extends to adding water sprinklers in the ceilings in case of fires?

A few years ago we were snowed in for fours days with no power. We got to experience something akin to this ice hotel and didn't spend a nickle. But I'm not in a hurry to do it again.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.