Vintage Audio Equipment Question

mydogmookieblaylockmydogmookieblaylock Posts: 2,996
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
So - I have decided to start with I am going vintage to spin some records. There is a guy in town who has really nice equipment that is all serviced and ready to go.
I am looking to spend about 400 on a turntable and receiver and he has a Optonica RP-4705 (glass dust cover) turntable and a Pioneer SX-650 amp.
He said that he would have a "decent" cartridge on the turntable but i may find i want to upgrade later.

So my question is :
A. does this sound like a fair deal
B. do you think the sound quality will be solid. Doesn't have to be amazing but it has to be solid.

Oh an i have some ONKYO SC-670 speakers i will use for now.

thanks in advance for some input
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    The price is maybe a bit on the high side, since the receiver is probably only worth maybe $70 or $80 I think. $330 for that turntable? If I were you I'd just spend maybe $100 more and get a brand new one. I just bought this (link below), which includes an upgraded cartridge, and it's really fantastic, and I don't worry about the automatic return fucking up, which is pretty common in older automatic turntables. HOWEVER..... I'm not sure that a newer turntable would work as well as it should with the Pioneer receiver. The folks at needledoctor.com would probably be able to tell you that though. But anyway, that system would probably serve you fine IF your Onkyo speakers will work with that old receiver. How old are the speakers? I recently got new speakers and found that my vintage (1980ish) receiver didn't match up with the speakers properly... mismatched ohms, I'm told, whatever the fuck that means.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Denon-DP300 ... egory=1143
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • you can buy that on Ebay for a total of $330.

subtract eBay's fees and you're at $300. That's what I would offer to buy at.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • thanks for the input -- i will continue to weigh my options ..... i am hoping somewhere has a black friday deal on a pro-ject carbon or something similar.
    If i do go vintage and with the in town guy i will offer 3 and see where it goes - i do like that he is local and can service anything he sells me.
  • thanks for the input -- i will continue to weigh my options ..... i am hoping somewhere has a black friday deal on a pro-ject carbon or something similar.

This site usually has black Friday deals on turntables.

http://www.insound.com/
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg

This site usually has black Friday deals on turntables.

http://www.insound.com/
    Well they didn't have a Black Friday deal - but they had a Cyber Monday deal!
    Got the Pro-ject RM 1.3 for 424.00

thanks!