Biggest regret-purchases

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited December 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've bought a lot of gear and a number of things that I regret. One was an acoustic modeler made by Behringer. It was (probably) the worst sounding pedal. I was able to sell it back and make a bit of money. Still, I was pretty let down by this. The other was the Fender Blender. I was looking for a rotary unit/flanger but, in my ignorance, I thought the Flender would make the sound I wanted. I liked the sound but it wasn't anywhere close to what I wanted.

Are there any pieces of gear that you regret getting?
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 10 or 12 years ago i bought the xtortion pedal by boss. i never even put it on my board. i could not choke a decent sound of of that pedal if i wanted to. terrible decision for me to buy that one.

biggest regret is my fender kurt cobain jaguar. that thing is a hunk of shit. had to have the nut rebuilt and then replaced. the bridge made it impossible to keep it in tune and it buzzed horribly. had to have the bridge modified and tremolo locked down to make it even playable. it looks great and sounds amazing when it is playable, but any change in season and that thing is useless. i will never buy a mexican made fender again.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • i bought a 12 string acoustic years ago

then i realized that while it can be cool to mess with, i never really play it much, and i thought maybe i should focus on mastering the 6 string! so i sold it.

then years later, i bought a new 12 string acoustic

then i realized that while it can be cool to mess with, i never really play it much, and i thought maybe i should focus on mastering the 6 string! so i sold it.

so i guess that would be mine.
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • 10 or 12 years ago i bought the xtortion pedal by boss. i never even put it on my board. i could not choke a decent sound of of that pedal if i wanted to. terrible decision for me to buy that one.

biggest regret is my fender kurt cobain jaguar. that thing is a hunk of shit. had to have the nut rebuilt and then replaced. the bridge made it impossible to keep it in tune and it buzzed horribly. had to have the bridge modified and tremolo locked down to make it even playable. it looks great and sounds amazing when it is playable, but any change in season and that thing is useless. i will never buy a mexican made fender again.
    I wanted anything Kurt Cobain when I started. I guess I still want the jag and jagstang. Just for nostalgia. Will I ever play them? Probably not.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Every guitar amp I ever bought before I bought a tube amp.

Also, my first wah pedal, a Crybaby. Not my sound. I'm a Vox kind of guy.

Also, the money-pit Marshall I owned several years ago. Not my sound, and a pain in the ass to get parts for.

If you want to talk regrets, though, ask me about the gear I've sold. There's a novel.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Abandoned Fender amps after ten years of playing them to buy a Marshall combo. Sold it within a year and bought another Fender amp. Never again will I buy a non-Fender amp. It just doesn't feel right.
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Where do I being?

Tube Works Blue Tube Pedal... Never was a good drive. Still have it, for sale, make offer!

MIJ 5 string Fender Jazz bass. Never found a use for that B string. Sold it after a year

my two solid state bass amps

Peavey TKO 115 solid state bass amp.

Ampeg B2R solid State bass head (still have it, for sale, make offer).

And on the tube side

1976 Bassman 50. I was told via ebay seller it had a minor mod to it. When I got it and pulled the chassis, both pre amp sections were completely changed. Right then I should of just put it back up and took my losses. Nope I spent the money to put it to a earlier 60's bassman circuit. I love the amp now, just would of been cheaper to go buy exactly what i wanted.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • I bought a Dean Razorback back in 2009. Wish I would have gotten a Strat instead, the Dean isn't really practical for every day play.
    Jones Beach, NY 2001
    New Orleans, LA 2003
    Oakland, CA 2013
  • Up until recently, I would have said my Crafter SA12 12 string electro-acoustic hybrid (thinline style with no natural acoustic properties and lipstick p/up in the neck), but since the new album came out have been using it to play Sirens :D

I guess my biggest regret was a Yamaha Troy Van Leeuwen SA503 signature arch-top, bought on a friends recommendation which looked *awesome* but didn't have a great deal else going for it in the end unfortunately.

It had P90 p/ups and 2 three-way selectors with a ton of switching options, and a nice Bigsby trem, but it was poorly constructed from less-than-decent woods, and consequently didn't have a wonderful resonance. That said, I did use it on the last album I recorded (you can hear the guitar here; https://soundcloud.com/theedwardianpicnic/my-ella) and our producer got some nice tones from it going into a Vox.

I sold it 4 months ago and put the funds towards my first Gibson Les Paul, so it occupies a special place in my heart for what it allowed me to replace it with (if that makes sense...? :mrgreen: ). It held its value pretty well too.