I just booked our trip to Istanbul....

MSnider44MSnider44 Posts: 746
edited November 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
.....during Valentine's week. First time there for both of us. There is so much internet info on this amazing city, it's a chore to sift through. Thought I'd ask some fellow 10C'ers if any of you have been there and for your recommendations on everything / anything Istanbul. Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I've been there, but I cannot give you any tips. It's a fantastic city, and I hope you have the most wonderful time! Make sure you get to see both sides of the city. And have ablast!
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I'm thinking music and food, for starters.

(of course, this could apply to anywhere on earth)

Take a coat?
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    MSnider44 wrote:
    .....during Valentine's week. First time there for both of us. There is so much internet info on this amazing city, it's a chore to sift through. Thought I'd ask some fellow 10C'ers if any of you have been there and for your recommendations on everything / anything Istanbul. Thanks!

Wow, that sounds like a wonderful plan for Valentine's week.
    Although I've lived in Istanbul only a period of 2 years, I'm Turkish, so it's kind of my city. :)
    I'm sure there is a lot of info on internet about sightseeings and stuff to do. So I'm not going into that stuff, for the moment. Some tips are:
    - Prepare yourself that the city will meet you with a raw , vibrant energy. It is a loud, crowded, large city. Dont know much about West Coast and LA area in general, but US cities have a calm environment so one should be prepared for this chaotic environment in Istanbul. I hope this will be good for you for a change.

- That said, the city is in general clean and you dont have to worry yourself much about security issues unless you're planning to walk around isolated places. In any case, just try to keep your wallets, mobile phones and bags tighter to yourselves. The hotel's safe box (if available) can be a good place to keep the unnecessary, valuable stuff you have.

- You might be familiar with the shore line and the deep blue, but Bosphorus is something that cannot be gotten enough of. Try to enjoy it. There are boat trips around Bosphorus. I think this is a must.

- As Leeze mentioned, try to see the Anatolian side, as well. That side is sometimes overlooked but it is actually the choice of the locals. Well, some locals, including me. :) Since crossing the bridge that seperates Europe and Asia is also a must-do, I am sure you'll be able to see the Anatolian side, as well.

- If possible, try to blend in with the locals. I dont know if you know anyone there, I wish I could be but I've other plans during that time. I might fix you up with some of my friends who convene regularly on week-ends to have some dinner and drinks out and some entertainment.

This is all I can think of now. If you have further questions or need some advice, dont hesitate to write me, PM or here, no probs.

Wish you a nice trip...
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Thank you very much, jumbojet.

I've been doing a lot of research these past couple of days, and my first two booking so far are:

Staying at the Garden House Hotel for the first part of our trip....
    http://www.gardenhouseistanbul.com/

Going on the Culinary Secrets of the Old City tour of the city with these guys....
    http://www.culinarybackstreets.com/culinary-walks/istanbul/

We plan on staying in the Taksim district during the back end of our trip so we can be around the edgier restaurants / bars / goings on.

I'm sure I'll need some "local' advice, so expect me to keep this thread going and / or dm'ing you for more recommendations and info. Much appreciated! And yes, we'd love some local company during our trip there, for sure. Feel free to DM me anytime as well.