Options

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, what does PJ need to do?!

silentJsilentJ Columbus, OH Posts: 199
edited November 2013 in The Porch
I think nobody on the forum would doubt PJ deserves entry in the hall. What do they have to do? I was on the R&RHOF website and saw where you can vote for your favorite nominees. Some seemed well deserved, like Nirvana for instance. Then I saw LL Cool J?! No offense, I got nothing against LL but WTF!? I don't know by what criteria you could justify his entry into the hall, let alone him getting in before PJ.

Discuss
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    HopperHopper Posts: 203
    i think this is why....

"Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record."

http://rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process/
    "To be the man, you gotta beat the man! WOOOOOOOOO!!"
  • Options
    K_jamK_jam Posts: 137
    Ll cool j was one of hip hops finest in the mid 80s, he deserves to be in the hof.

#mamasaidknockyouout
  • Options
    Hopper wrote:
    i think this is why....

"Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record."

http://rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process/

Ah, yes, excuse me while I wipe the egg of my face
  • Options
    MT236122MT236122 Pittsburgh Posts: 132
    The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is misnamed - it's a music hall of hall. No matter the name, Pearl Jam has to do absolutely nothing to gain entrance to the hall. Pearl Jam has built a lasting legacy that is a no brainer. But...as we know...Pearl Jam is not about resting on their laurels - they will continue to be innovative for years to come.
    Riding high amongst the waves
  • Options
    is it just me or does the name "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" seem to naturally eliminate artists that aren't...you know...uh, rock and roll. I know other non-rock artists have been inducted, but shouldn't it just be limited to rock? This is in response to LL Cool J, not Pearl Jam, lest anyone be confused.
    1st and only show so far:
    Charlottesville, VA 10/29/2013

"He who forgets will be destined to remember."
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    After reviewing the nomination process, good to know that Jason Notte is an idiot.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12089378 ... iggie.html
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    MT236122 wrote:
    The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is misnamed - it's a music hall of hall. No matter the name, Pearl Jam has to do absolutely nothing to gain entrance to the hall. Pearl Jam has built a lasting legacy that is a no brainer. But...as we know...Pearl Jam is not about resting on their laurels - they will continue to be innovative for years to come.

This.

They are as good as in. It is nothing more than a matter of eligibility at this point.
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    is it just me or does the name "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" seem to naturally eliminate artists that aren't...you know...uh, rock and roll. I know other non-rock artists have been inducted, but shouldn't it just be limited to rock? This is in response to LL Cool J, not Pearl Jam, lest anyone be confused.

I don't. Like Chuck D of Public Enemy said at their induction, "We all come from the damn blues."

Ain't that the truth.
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    Maybe I'm a bit ignorant on the musical career of LL Cool J, I never really thought of him as a genre making trend setter with am illustrious music career. I always thought of him as a r&b rapper turned actor, kind of like Will Smith. Nothing against his music, I remember liking some of his old stuff, just never seemed R&R caliber.

Now if you want to talk about a group that changed and redefined the face of a genre, then lets talk NWA. They are also nominees and they defined gangsta rap and basically pioneered it. That is the type of group (imo) that deserves induction. Pearl Jam is that type of group, I just never thought of LL that way
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    They aren't eligible until 2015 or something... once they are eligible, they are a shoe in, and won't have to do a thing. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    driowadriowa Wisconsin Posts: 115
    It doesn't matter, they just have to be 25 years from the beginning. But since they have done a lot of appearances in past ceremonies, I bet they wouldn't have to wait long .

The Rock Hall Of Fame is a joke. I'm fine with opening it up to other genres, but still, the list of influential bands that are not in is absurd.
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    first ballot, unanimous, sorta like Mo Rivera will be. they fit every peg this 'group of experts' like.

that said, rrhof is lame, no iron maiden=suck it.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,314
    MT236122 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I love this band and the new album. But can you tell me how innovative they are? I don't really hear anything they or anyone else hasn't done. I know they're evolving, but I don't hear anything that is innovative.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    just keep doing what they are doing, making more music.
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    MT236122 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I love this band and the new album. But can you tell me how innovative they are? I don't really hear anything they or anyone else hasn't done. I know they're evolving, but I don't hear anything that is innovative.

Yeah, not really innovative at all. I think they've got an identifiable sound, but they're really just a combination of their influences. I think putting out every show this century is the probably the most innovative thing they've done, but with their strong internet following, they could've done much more on that front IMO.

I think they're locks to get in, but lack of innovation and not a real longstanding influence could be the gripes that keep them from getting in first time around.
  • Options
    I really want them to get in. I don't know if they will though.
    "Meet you on the other side..."
  • Options
    MT236122 wrote:

yeah, I'm on board with this. Nirvana, for instance, turned music, not to mention culture, on its ear. PJ didn't do a whole lot except become popular because of the musical trend at the time, even though they sounded nothing like the rest of the bands in that explosion.

Ten was a turning point album for ME, but I don't know if it was for the industry as a whole.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I really want them to get in. I don't know if they will though.

why does it matter if they get in? I mean, to me this is no different than them winning a grammy. it would be different if the nominees were being chosen by their musical peers, but they aren't. it's a bunch of old white men who don't know shit about music. just like award shows.

which is also why I find it odd that Ed is always so involved in the induction ceremonies.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,447
    They don't have to do anything. They will be getting in, no problem.
  • Options
    the Dave Clark Five is in. So I think PJ is a no brainer
    Providence 07-15-1991 Warwick 11-13-1991 Mansfield 08-08-1992
    Boston 04-12-1994 Mansfield 09-16-1998 Mansfield 07-03-2003 Mansfield 06-30-2008
  • Options
    oh, and when they do get in i think it will be a shitty deal if daves krusen and abruzzese and jack irons aren't inducted as well
    Providence 07-15-1991 Warwick 11-13-1991 Mansfield 08-08-1992
    Boston 04-12-1994 Mansfield 09-16-1998 Mansfield 07-03-2003 Mansfield 06-30-2008
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    oh, and when they do get in i think it will be a shitty deal if daves krusen and abruzzese and jack irons aren't inducted as well

I'm betting Irons will be the only former member inducted.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if they invited Krusen as well as Irons. I believe they are on good terms with Krusen. I can't see them not having him there....he was the drummer on Ten, after all.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872
    DewieCox wrote:

They could all be inducted but just not all there at the ceremony. Only time will tell.
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
  • Options
    retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
    Spoken wrote:
    They don't have to do anything. They will be getting in, no problem.

this..
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018