What's up with my guitar?

SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
edited November 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
I took one of my guitars in about a week ago for adjustment/setup and had them fix the jack which comes loose a lot. I'm not sure if they took it apart or just tightened it up. But I plugged it in for the first time (both into an amp and my Amplug, so it's the guitar) and I'm getting this annoying loud humming. It stops when I touch basically anything metallic on the guitar. Bridge, strings, tuning pegs, etc. Doing a Google search it sounds like a grounding issue.

Here's my question, especially since I had it for a week before I discovered it. Is this something that can happen on it's own, or can this be traced back to the work done on it? I've been taking my guitars to this guy for a long time, back when his shop was basically a closet to now where he has a big nice store. He does good work, but he now has apprentices who handle the setups and stuff. I don't want to suggest it's their fault unless I know for sure. But at the same time I don't want to pay them to fix something that they caused. This was my first electric guitar, it was a Christmas gift back when I was 15 or 16 in the mid-90's (I had been playing bass and acoustic prior to that) and it's never had any problems, it's only been in the shop for the usual maintenance. But that doesn't mean it couldn't have developed one obviously. I just mean it's been pretty reliable, and I'm a little suspicious this happened right after it came home from the luthier.
"See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Sounds like a grounding connection has come loose. Easy to do when you open up the controls on a guitar, it could just be a solder joint that came loose, or maybe even a wire got cut/severed by accident. Regardless, I'd take it back to the same guy; if he's a decent guitar tech, he should fix it for free (unless it can definitely be proven to not be his fault). I'm sure it was just an accidental result of the work they did. Be cool about it, don't go in with an attitude, but it should definitely be a no-charge fix.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Sounds like a grounding connection has come loose. Easy to do when you open up the controls on a guitar, it could just be a solder joint that came loose, or maybe even a wire got cut/severed by accident. Regardless, I'd take it back to the same guy; if he's a decent guitar tech, he should fix it for free (unless it can definitely be proven to not be his fault). I'm sure it was just an accidental result of the work they did. Be cool about it, don't go in with an attitude, but it should definitely be a no-charge fix.
    +1. Sounds like a ground issue
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Sounds like a grounding connection has come loose. Easy to do when you open up the controls on a guitar, it could just be a solder joint that came loose, or maybe even a wire got cut/severed by accident. Regardless, I'd take it back to the same guy; if he's a decent guitar tech, he should fix it for free (unless it can definitely be proven to not be his fault). I'm sure it was just an accidental result of the work they did. Be cool about it, don't go in with an attitude, but it should definitely be a no-charge fix.

I definitely won't go in there with an attitude. I've been taking my guitars to him since I was 16 minus some times when I lived out of the area. When I was in college I'd wait until I came home and bring my guitar with me to take it to him. He's a nice guy so I wouldn't go in there huffing and puffing over it.

I just wanted to have a better understanding of it before I went in there, because if it was something that probably wasn't their fault then I didn't even want to bring up that I'd just had it in their shop unnecessarily. I'd just ask to have a ticket started. I don't know much about the technical side of guitars, I can string them, tune them and play them. As soon as you pop that pick guard off I might as well be staring at the human brain. So I appreciate the help.
    Well I took it in and they're saying it has nothing to do with their work. They said everything with the jack was fine, though for some reason they recommended I have it replaced, I informed them they just replaced it about 9 months ago and the subject was dropped. Apparently they're going to have to open up the pick guard, which starts at $30. I just have a hard time believing in that big of a coincidence though. Though I guess it's possible.
  • Well I took it in and they're saying it has nothing to do with their work. They said everything with the jack was fine, though for some reason they recommended I have it replaced, I informed them they just replaced it about 9 months ago and the subject was dropped. Apparently they're going to have to open up the pick guard, which starts at $30. I just have a hard time believing in that big of a coincidence though. Though I guess it's possible.
    Typical "bench fee" BS. I think you're getting played and they're trying to milk you for money. I hate it when places do this. They probably WILL have to open up BUT they shouldn't be charging NEARLY much. If you're feeling savvy, I'd try googling it and saving yourself some money, first. Also, the people on this forum are good at helping
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    Well I took it in and they're saying it has nothing to do with their work. They said everything with the jack was fine, though for some reason they recommended I have it replaced, I informed them they just replaced it about 9 months ago and the subject was dropped. Apparently they're going to have to open up the pick guard, which starts at $30. I just have a hard time believing in that big of a coincidence though. Though I guess it's possible.
    Typical "bench fee" BS. I think you're getting played and they're trying to milk you for money. I hate it when places do this. They probably WILL have to open up BUT they shouldn't be charging NEARLY much. If you're feeling savvy, I'd try googling it and saving yourself some money, first. Also, the people on this forum are good at helping

That was one of the underlings that told me that. I got a call from the owner today saying they fixed it at no charge.
  • That was one of the underlings that told me that. I got a call from the owner today saying they fixed it at no charge.

Glad it all got resolved. Sounds like somebody at that shop needs to learn some customer service.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.