The Secret to Building an Army of Superfans

PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
edited November 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Had to share this, read it today - uplifting & so very true.
Story below the link. Nicole Longstreath - if you are on here or if anyone hear knows you - your message is brilliant and spot on!

http://ampandpivot.com/creating-superfans/

If you’re anything like me, 80% of your sales come from about 20% of your customers. These customers are your “superfans”. They are the ones lined up on launch day, clicking refresh, just waiting for your new product or service to go live. They’re the ones who just cannot rest until all of their friends and colleagues know about how amazing you are! Could you use a few more superfans? If so, then keep reading while my friend Nicole Longstreath reveals the secrets to making it happen. ~ Jules Taggart

In the fall of 1992, when I was 13-years-old and in my second year of junior high, there were a few things in my life that were an absolute priority:

Passing my first year of Algebra
Reading Sassy magazine
Hanging out with my best friends, Melissa and Brittany
Listening to Pearl Jam’s first album, Ten

At this point in my life, I was, by no means, a connoisseur of music. But I dug Pearl Jam because they were “edgy.” Not quite as intimidating as Metallica – but much better at helping me get in touch with my budding, inner-rebel than my previous favorite band: NKOTB.

However, transitioning from boy bands to grunge proved confusing at times. After watching the 1992 film, Singles, which a Pearl Jam cameo appearance, my BFF Brittany declared Eddie Vedder to be “so hot.” By default, I agreed. Although, he was drastically different than my previous crush, Joey McIntyre.

But, whatever. I just went with it. This was the type of band I was into now, and Eddie Vedder was “hot.” Albeit, kind of a mumbler.

Before I knew it, junior high turned into high school and, as a fair-weather grunge music fan, I lost interest in Pearl Jam and Mr. Vedder. There didn’t seem to be much left of what we called “alternative” music – so my tastes reverted back to something a bit more mainstream.
Creating superfans

I didn’t even think about Pearl Jam again until I started dating a boy in 2007 who happened to be a Pearl Jam superfan and bona fide fan club member – my husband, Jason.

“Pearl Jam had a good run,” I would tell him, dismissively. “But they peaked in the mid-90s. Ha, they’re dinosaurs!”

I knew that they had released albums, but I hadn’t listened to any of them. I figured, if they had been good, I probably would have heard them on the radio.

Right?

But, just as I, and the rest of the mainstream world had forgotten about Pearl Jam, they were busy doing something quite brilliant: staying true to their art and building an army of dedicated superfans. Superfans that would faithfully and reliably buy albums and concert tickets – not just because they loved the music, but because they loved and trusted the band and the brand they had built.

A brand that represented rebellion and independence.

You might remember that, in 1995, Pearl Jam infamously boycotted Ticketmaster. It’s a long story, but, as a result of the boycott, big stadiums were off-limits – forcing the band into smaller venues.

But, at about the same time, Pearl Jam wasn’t concerned about playing big stadiums anymore. Despite being one of the biggest bands of the 90s, they rejected the direction popular music was going at the time and refused to sacrifice authenticity for wider commercial appeal. They believed that, if they stayed true to the music they genuinely wanted to play, that their fans would appreciate the authenticity – thereby strengthening the band/fan relationship and building loyalty.
Building loyalty

The members of Pearl Jam couldn’t have cared less about reclaiming casual fans like me. Instead, they wanted more “Jasons.”

And, in case you were wondering, Pearl Jam superfans don’t just go to see the show when they play in their town. Nope; for Pearl Jam superfans, concerts are serious business. They’ll buy tickets to every show they play in their town, plus travel to see additional shows in other towns. Why? Because they have trust in the band; they know they’ll get to see an amazing show.
Evangelism happens

Another thing superfans do: evangelize others.

Like I said, I had long forgotten about Pearl Jam before I met Jason. I called them has-been dinosaurs! Now, I can affirm, first hand, that their live performances are so good, they will melt your freaking face off.

That brand of rebellion and independence I mentioned? They bring that with them on tour every. single. night. Playing each song with an enthusiasm like they just wrote it backstage and are performing it for the very first time.

And then coming out again for a 4-song encore.

Being a Pearl Jam superfan isn’t a one-way relationship. And that’s how it should be whether you have an entire stadium of screaming fans or just a few hundred on your mailing list. Converting fans into superfans requires showing some serious dedication to your audience. Staying true to an authentic message and giving as much as you possibly can, then coming back out for an encore every night, is a good place to start.
11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cool read, and very true. There's a thread on the Porch - "At my first pearl jam concert, I..." Well, I havent posted there, but I know I was addicted to something after my first concert in 1996 and couldnt wait to see another, and another,
    and another,
    and another,...
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    Awesome article.

now if i can just get my friends to read it, they might become casual fans. :think: :lol:
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7