Used books on-line: Get what you pay for.

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,639
edited November 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
One of the reasons I prefer brick and mortar used book stores (besides the fact that that is my business) is that you can see what you're getting and you get what you pay for. People often get the impression that I don't like on-line used books but that's not altogether true. I list a small percentage of my inventory on-line-- it's a great way for me to move unusual titles that are less likely to get asked for in a store. Secondly, if a customer is looking for a book and we don't have it, I'll search for a used copy on-line or if I'm looking for an out of print title for myself I'll occasionally purchase on-line.

But here's the rub: you don't always get what you pay for on-line. I recently purchased a copy of a book for myself that was listed as "very good". The book had water damage to the first several pages and was rather shelf worn. This is not "very good". I asked for and received a partial refund and was told to keep the book. OK, great, I'll pass that one along as an "as is" copy, mark it as such and price it accordingly. I then ordered the same title on-line again- another copy that was listed as "very good". The book arrived and had soiled edges, a non-removable sticker on the back and pen markings on some pages. This is not "very good". Again, I asked for and received full credit for the book and was told I could keep it. OK, fine, I'll pass this one along as an "as is" copy and I've ordered yet another copy which I haven't received yet.

Now you may ask, since I've gotten free or nearly free books this way, why would I be complaining? The problem, as I see it, is that there are too many people selling books on-line (the standing joke being that anyone with a computer and a closet can be a book seller) who are either dishonest or unqualified. The books I ordered were rather inexpensive. I have no problem ordering an inexpensive book that is fair or good minus or "acceptable" (a dishonest term in of itself) if that is how it is listed and that is what I or my customer are after. But if it's listed as "very good", it needs to be in the condition in which it is listed regardless of the purchase cost. Besides all that, the whole process of righting the wrong is time consuming and it's a hassle (and I suspect some of these sellers consider that).

If any of you purchase books on-line (and hopefully you also support your local brick and mortar shop), I would encourage you to demand to receive books in the condition in which they are described. You do not have to settle for less.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I've purchased a lot of books online...I dont even know of any good local stores anymore :oops:
    But almost all of my purchases were in good condition until recently. I actually got the book you suggested - This Band Could be Your Life,...it said "very good"...and it looks like it was on the road with Black Flag. :lol:

I received one book before that where the binding was coming apart, but I figured unless someone opened it, they might not notice....and if these books are under $5, i'm betting the seller doesnt often expect to hear back if the book is a little beat up.

I assumed if I ever brought up the condition, they might say, "Sir, can you read the words?" ...that's about what i'd expect for online standards because it seems to be opinion when it comes to condition.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,639
    I've purchased a lot of books online...I dont even know of any good local stores anymore :oops:
    But almost all of my purchases were in good condition until recently. I actually got the book you suggested - This Band Could be Your Life,...it said "very good"...and it looks like it was on the road with Black Flag. :lol:

I received one book before that where the binding was coming apart, but I figured unless someone opened it, they might not notice....and if these books are under $5, i'm betting the seller doesnt often expect to hear back if the book is a little beat up.

I assumed if I ever brought up the condition, they might say, "Sir, can you read the words?" ...that's about what i'd expect for online standards because it seems to be opinion when it comes to condition.

Bummer that you got a road-rashed Azerrad, Jon. It's one of my very favorite books on music.

I would encourage everyone to not hesitate to call sellers on the miss-labeled condition. Too many of them get away with inaccurate listings because people don't bother to call them on it. Besides, most of the sellers don't want to haggle- I've almost always gotten partial or full refunds on inaccurate listings.

I also want to emphasize giving good feedback to honest sellers. If it's done right, it's a difficult business that does not yeild a great financial reward. Booksellers who are honest do it for the love of books and all that books give us in the way of pleasure, knowledge and wisdom. We're not getting rich doing it. Together, my wife and I make about what one person makes teaching. Only an idiot would wrench his or her back hauling books around for years and wearing their hands out cleaning books. :lol: Yes, cleaning them, and removing stickers etc. and culling or marking down damaged books. My wife's store has between 350,000 and 400,000 titles and I have about 20,000 to 25,000 in my business and every book has been cleaned before it hits the shelf. Again, I encourage you, don't settle for less from on-line sellers.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux wrote:
    Bummer that you got a road-rashed Azerrad, Jon. It's one of my very favorite books on music.

I would encourage everyone to not hesitate to call sellers on the miss-labeled condition. Too many of them get away with inaccurate listings because people don't bother to call them on it. Besides, most of the sellers don't want to haggle- I've almost always gotten partial or full refunds on inaccurate listings.

I also want to emphasize giving good feedback to honest sellers. If it's done right, it's a difficult business that does not yeild a great financial reward. Booksellers who are honest do it for the love of books and all that books give us in the way of pleasure, knowledge and wisdom. We're not getting rich doing it. Together, my wife and I make about what one person makes teaching. Only an idiot would wrench his or her back hauling books around for years and wearing their hands out cleaning books. :lol: Yes, cleaning them, and removing stickers etc. and culling or marking down damaged books. My wife's store has between 350,000 and 400,000 titles and I have about 20,000 to 25,000 in my business and every book has been cleaned before it hits the shelf. Again, I encourage you, don't settle for less from on-line sellers.

I always do what I can to give good feedback to honest sellers... And I didnt know how much work you hones t guys go through! And you're right, I was being lazy (along with many others I assume) when dealing with the cheaper titles that are delivered in condition other than how they were described. We need to hold them to some standard...I bet in the long run, it would help the honest hard working folks like you, Brian, because the lazy folks would be weeded out if they were called out on their mis-labeled conditions.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    brianlux wrote:

I always do what I can to give good feedback to honest sellers... And I didnt know how much work you hones t guys go through! And you're right, I was being lazy (along with many others I assume) when dealing with the cheaper titles that are delivered in condition other than how they were described. We need to hold them to some standard...I bet in the long run, it would help the honest hard working folks like you, Brian, because the lazy folks would be weeded out if they were called out on their mis-labeled conditions.

Unfortunately , Jonny, a some of the less-than-honest dealers are big warehouse dealers who only care about volume. We'll keep plugging away anyway because we are insane bibliophiles. :lol:

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I have a book-related question...I inherited a bunch of old books...really really really old books, 1915 and earlier.

Where would one go to search out someone who would want to purchase such books?

They are old 'Photographic History' books-Navy, World's Fair, European War, etc., and some huge book about how to go about creating a church (or something). The photos are fascinating, but I am not a huge history buff, so I'd like to find someone who would appreciate them.

Thanks in advance.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    I have a book-related question...I inherited a bunch of old books...really really really old books, 1915 and earlier.

They are old 'Photographic History' books-Navy, World's Fair, European War, etc., and some huge book about how to go about creating a church (or something). The photos are fascinating, but I am not a huge history buff, so I'd like to find someone who would appreciate them.

Thanks in advance.

A used book store or someone that can appraise them for you.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    RKCNDY wrote:

Thanks in advance.

A used book store or someone that can appraise them for you.

Half Price Books wasn't interested in them, I looked up one book I have, and it came up under Amazon for $30. :x
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY wrote:

Half Price Books wasn't interested in them, I looked up one book I have, and it came up under Amazon for $30. :x

Sucks. :lol:

Sometimes you luck out and sometimes you don't.
    RKCNDY wrote:

Thanks in advance.

We often see people bring in old books to sell and sadly at times what we tell them does not make them happy. Old in-of-itself does not mean the book is valuable. The exception of course is something really REALLY old. I have a French book printed in 1688 and it is fairly valuable but not hugely so-- I might be able to get about $200 for it if I wanted to sell it-- simply due to its age. We often see books from the late 1800's through early 1900's that are not particularly valuable and if they are in poor condition are often worth very little. On the other hand a true 1885 first edition of Twain's Huck Finn in good condition could net you several thousand dollars.

If you'd like, PM me with as much information on the books as possible-- full title, author, publisher, publication date, where published, illustrator if any, dust jacket or no dust jacket, condition of book including dust jacket, firmness of binding, markings in the book etc,-- and I'll see what I can find out about them.

• f451fa4c-c8a4-46c6-9db4-687688051110.jpg

Love me my local book shop.
    With the holidays on the horizon,
    not a lot of mad money to spend
    on new books, though!
    Maybe in the new year...

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Abebooks.com is not a reputable source?
    What book were you seeking OP?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Does anyone have a copy of Starship Troopers for sale?
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    edited November 2013
    Jason P wrote:
    Does anyone have a copy of Starship Troopers for sale?
    Its 8$ at most places .
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I have had nothing but good experiences with betterworldbooks.com.

My courses require a lot of regular books (as in not textbooks) so I buy around 10 books online every 4ish months. Unfortunately there's no actual bookstore near me, I buy most of my leisure reading from a thrift shop which doesn't work when you are looking for particular titles. The nearest bookstore is 45 minutes and $5 away by train but luckily they put their inventory online. What I can't get there I get from Amazon, Valore, Abebooks or Better World Books. I've had this problem particularly with Amazon where I order a paperback and get a hardcover sent to me. Or I ordered a Mass Media Paperback and got a Trade Paperback. There was only a couple times where I cared enough to complain (i really, really, really can't stand hardcover books) and I got full refunds without having to return the book. Then I take the one I don't want to that thrift shop to donate.

Come to think of it I STILL haven't gotten a Mass Media Paperback of "And Another Thing!". :oops:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    STAYSEA wrote:
    Abebooks.com is not a reputable source?
    What book were you seeking OP?

Abe is certainly one of the more reputable on line markets out there. At the last book fare I attended I spent some time talking to some of the big league sellers out there (by that I mean reputable, honest, well established dealers- the kind of people you enjoy doing business with) and we were comparing notes on on-line sellers and the general consensus was that ABE was one of the top two or three. Never-the-less, I've had some bad turns even there. I recently received a 2.13.61 publication I'd been looking for and the condition description was way off. I'm a brick and mortar guy but I don't have a problem with on-line sales that are honest and accurate but in today's market, what many sellers describe as "good" I would mark "fair", as "very good" I would mark "good" as "near fine" I would mark "very good" etc. It's sort of like high school- an "A" or a "B" grade is often something anybody can achieve with little effort.

• ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Also, I wonder how many signed books have genuine signatures? I ordered a few many years ago - Bukowski, Miller, Burroughs - that came with a certificate of authenticity, but I could see at the time that some signed books on e-bay looked a bit dodgy.
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Also, I wonder how many signed books have genuine signatures? I ordered a few many years ago - Bukowski, Miller, Burroughs - that came with a certificate of authenticity, but I could see at the time that some signed books on e-bay looked a bit dodgy.

So true Byrnzie. I scrutinize signed books with a magnifying glass until my eyes are bleary, and if I'm not sure I ask my wife and other book dealer friends to do likewise and if still not sure, I indicate that the signature is not verified and mark accordingly. Auto pens are a real challenge today as well. There are many, many signed and auto-pen signed Jimmy Carter books out there for example (and this is no slam on President Carter, a man I have a ton of respect for) and they generally should not be very expensive. If you find yourself in the position of looking to buy an expensive signed edition of a book I would ask the dealer to allow you to have it appraised by a reputable appraiser (in our area, somebody like PBA Galleries in San Francisco).