Options

Washington Post Review #2 - DC 2008

obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
The Pearl Jam Scene, Growing More Grateful by the Gig

Pearl Jam abdicated the grunge throne and all but went on hiatus in the mid-1990s to fight Ticketmaster and the service charges concertgoers were billed by electronic ticket sellers. Fellow bands and music fans refused to join the righteous battle, however, so Pearl Jam caved.

On Sunday night, all these years later, the rebels of a lost cause were back at Verizon Center, a building owned by Abe Pollin, the very godfather of electronic ticketing back in the 1970s and the only Ticketmaster franchisee left.

And, good golly, did they rock Abe's house.

Adults can only get so enraptured, and the audience's euphoria level redlined again and again. The band-fan synthesis during "Given to Fly" left the whole building shaking -- like, actually shaking. Frontman Eddie Vedder occasionally slowed things down to throw lefty ("It's going to be great to get some color in the White House!" he yelled), but the scream-and-response session he led during "Daughter" would have given even John McCain goose bumps.

Even the folks in last rows of the upper deck were standing and shrieking every word of 1991's "Alive" as if they'd waited their whole lives for the opportunity. And the last minute of "Rearviewmirror" was about as frenzied as arena rock can get.

The band now sells downloads from all its shows and, probably not coincidentally, puts a Phish-like emphasis on set lists to make sure each show is somewhat unique. This gimmick has triggered the completist gene in Pearl Jam fans, who now mine set lists for rarities. Among this night's batch: "No More," an antiwar ballad that Vedder sang solo, and 1996's "I'm Open."

Whether spontaneous or the result of some manipulative plan, the feedback the band got from all those service charge-payers in the house was overwhelming. "I don't know what we did to get this kind of response from you," Vedder said.

You rocked, Eddie. That's what.

-- Dave McKenna

Much better than yesterday's.
San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    obiwon76 wrote:
    Much better than yesterday's.
    yes.
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    He writes as if Pearl Jam hasn't done anything since '95. Did he not notice the massive 2006 tour??
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    arakiasarakias Posts: 281
    the review was not great yesterday but this one isnt any good either.
  • Options
    KamiKami Posts: 100
    Ack, I didn't see yesterday's review....where was it??
    2006 Washington D.C.
    2008 Washington D.C.
    2010 Cleveland
    2012 Philadelphia
    2013 Brooklyn 1, Baltimore
    2016 NYC 1
    2021 Ohana Encore 1
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    i like the last 2/3 of it.
  • Options
    dburbadburba Qatar Posts: 39
    Is there any real point to posting these? The response on the forums is almost universally "This reviewer sucks! He/She doesn't understand Pearl Jam! Only people who love the band should write reviews!"