Options

Washington Post Review - DC show

2»

Comments

• Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    david malitz = dick
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 229
    By the way, this wasn't the regular Post review. It was just for the blog. I disagree with some of the stuff he wrote, but I think his post is pretty good and definitely entertaining.

I love the comments about fuck all critics, he doesn't know what he is talking about, etc. Overall he definitely seemed to like the show! Just because he isn't bowing down to the band, and lets face it, we aren't exactly the most unbiased group of fans, doesn't mean his post his terrible.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    KingmidgetKingmidget Posts: 628
    I'll agree that when looked at the set/review as a whole...some of PJs tunes bite and others really hit it.

Cool really to read a "decent" review from a non-addict.

That said, sounded like a good show overall and I wish I'd been there (as an addict :)
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    wtf happened on this page?
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

31. Yellow Ledbetter: Can't escape it. What a terrible way to end an enjoyable evening. Simply put, this song is terrible. Please guys, retire this one.

what a jackass
  • Options
    ealasaid76ealasaid76 Posts: 95
    Was that a smack at Obama? That was uncalled for.

[shakes head]
    FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE!
    www.wm3.org
    9/13/98 Hartford,CT - 9/18/98 Columbia,MD
    8/23/00 Jones Beach (Wantagh,NY) - 7/8/03 NYC (DVD show)
    9/28/04 Boston,MA (VFC Benefit-10C) - 6/23/06 Pittsburgh,PA
    6/27/08 Hartford, CT
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    obiwon76 wrote:
    I disagree. The whole beauty to RVM is the middle jam. If people want to hear the exact same version that is on the cds, that they shouldnt be dissapointed when it's played live. The middle jam is a vortex of 4 guitars and Matt experiementing with sounds that is hardly played the same way twice.

The RVM middle jam is better than your eighty posts.

I didn't say I wanted it played exactly the same as on the album, but that "jam" in the middle is just noise to me and totally takes the air out of a kick ass song.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    wolfamongwolveswolfamongwolves Posts: 2,408
    Does # 31 say what I think it says?

Was it really necessary to quote the entire 2000-word review just to ask that?!
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    wolfamongwolveswolfamongwolves Posts: 2,408
    Best line of the entire review... :D

"Mike McCready, king of unnecessary hand gestures, broke out the jumping index finger twirl during this song."
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 229
    Here is the print edition review.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/23/AR2008062302042.html

The Pearl Jam Scene, Growing More Grateful by the Gig

Tuesday, June 24, 2008; C04

Pearl Jam abdicated the grunge throne and all but went on hiatus in the mid-1990s to fight Ticketmaster and the service charges concertgoers were billed by electronic ticket sellers. Fellow bands and music fans refused to join the righteous battle, however, so Pearl Jam caved.

On Sunday night, all these years later, the rebels of a lost cause were back at Verizon Center, a building owned by Abe Pollin, the very godfather of electronic ticketing back in the 1970s and the only Ticketmaster franchisee left.

And, good golly, did they rock Abe's house.

Adults can only get so enraptured, and the audience's euphoria level redlined again and again. The band-fan synthesis during "Given to Fly" left the whole building shaking -- like, actually shaking. Frontman Eddie Vedder occasionally slowed things down to throw lefty ("It's going to be great to get some color in the White House!" he yelled), but the scream-and-response session he led during "Daughter" would have given even John McCain goose bumps.

Even the folks in last rows of the upper deck were standing and shrieking every word of 1991's "Alive" as if they'd waited their whole lives for the opportunity. And the last minute of "Rearviewmirror" was about as frenzied as arena rock can get.

The band now sells downloads from all its shows and, probably not coincidentally, puts a Phish-like emphasis on set lists to make sure each show is somewhat unique. This gimmick has triggered the completist gene in Pearl Jam fans, who now mine set lists for rarities. Among this night's batch: "No More," an antiwar ballad that Vedder sang solo, and 1996's "I'm Open."

Whether spontaneous or the result of some manipulative plan, the feedback the band got from all those service charge-payers in the house was overwhelming. "I don't know what we did to get this kind of response from you," Vedder said.

You rocked, Eddie. That's what.

-- Dave McKenna
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    "Adults can only get so enraptured, and the audience's euphoria level redlined again and again. The band-fan synthesis during "Given to Fly" left the whole building shaking -- like, actually shaking."

That gives me chills just waiting for MSG.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08