booklice

chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
edited October 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
book lice are tiny little fuckers brown, cream or white in color & they eat paper & binding glue. i am so pissed as they are in my books, paperwork, my notebooks. they are in libraries, book shelves, stacks of papers or single sheets. my apartment isn't dirty, filthy or trashed. they live longer in warm & humid conditions. they are from newborn to adult ready for breeding in 3-6 months depending on humidity & temperature.

http://youtu.be/_Jg0gFoSsCY
http://youtu.be/4l6EEKWcHv8

the building is bug sprayed every other month. booklice are not known to fuck around directly w/ people other than fuck around with their paper

what the fuck?
for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
I am tired; my heart is
sick and sad. From where
the sun stands I will fight
no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    come on, people
    no one else knows a single thing about these little shits?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • that f-ing sucks. I havent heard of them...
    I dont know whats worse...those guys, or their termite fucker cousins who eat my house?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    that f-ing sucks. I havent heard of them...
    I dont know whats worse...those guys, or their termite fucker cousins who eat my house?
    florida is a warm humid zone
    it is a fact that florida would be perfect for taking in the booklouse

at first i thought to myself, "wow, bedbugs"
    but no they aren't bedbugs as i have torn my bedding apart several times... no bed bugs
    i got online & dialed in "bugs in books"

wham... booklice
    these fuckers in the videos look exactly like these little bastards in my books & notebooks

i've gotten books from the library & found them in there as well. little fuckers will destroy books too. i'll find a picture or video of a old ass book eaten to death by these louse

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    damage.jpg

type in booklice under google images

fuck

of course my books & notebooks are nowhere near the terrible condition of the book pictured here. you can't even see damage on my books & notebooks. but these fuckers here have caused me to stop carrying around a notebook & that bugs the shit out of me.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    i'll start locking up my notebooks; they're freezer bound or going to be put in a safe. but believe me, these little shits could get in a safe easily if they wanted.

i'm fixin to burn my place down

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • You might be able to get a crate of used Twilight books or maybe 50 shades of Grey for cheap, then use those as bait to keep them away from books that are decent. :lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • lol chad i did not think you would actually start this thread :lol:

i had no idea booklice were a real thing. hope they do not get your notebooks. that would suck. can you just put the notebooks in those big ziplock freezer bags? i wouldn't think they could get into one of those.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    lol chad i did not think you would actually start this thread :lol:

i had no idea booklice were a real thing. hope they do not get your notebooks. that would suck. can you just put the notebooks in those big ziplock freezer bags? i wouldn't think they could get into one of those.
    good idea

how do i get rid of the few that have taken up residence? mind you they are not in thick numbers as of yet & i hope they fucking leave soon.

spray pesticides all over my stuff? no

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    so you're saying that all the old books I adopted have lice? :?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • I hope there isnt such a thing called Vinyl Lice!! Or I am fucked!! Flying over to google to check now... :D
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    This is just off the top of my head - never heard of booklice before though I'm sure I've seen them as i <3 old used books:

Head to your local Microcenter or Radio Shack and purchase a few cans of air (you know the ones for cleaning keyboards) take your books outside and spray the fuck out of each one so the buggies fall out onto the sidewalk or backyard, then wrap each one airtight in clingfilm (plastic wrap) for like a week or two. after you got through everything lysol the fuck out of your bookcases/shelves/whatever is holding your books and if you got carpet steam it too.

This is what I would do. Maybe even check the 99 cents store or Costco/BJs/Sam's Club for supplies depending on how many books you got. I think I would collapse if this happened to me... 90% of the books I own come from a thrift store.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    I hope there isnt such a thing called Vinyl Lice!! Or I am fucked!! Flying over to google to check now... :D
    they be eating the papers & glues that hold the vinyl

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    calling brianlux

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    This thread reminded me of the Stone Louse ...:shifty: :lol:

Steinlaus.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_louse

I'm feeling for ya if all of this is true! This would be bad bad bad news and I hope you will find a solution!
  • supadupasupadupa Posts: 377
    I've had to deal with all sorts of pests in my line of work, but never book lice. It would suck to have to douse your belongings in pesticides.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I hear you can get them shits out with mayonnaise.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,639
    chadwick wrote:
    calling brianlux

Hey there. I'm at work as I type this and asked my co-workers. None of us have heard of book lice. We are very careful about condition when buying so anything that looks torn up or bug eaten gets a quick pass. I asked Celia and she's been doing this even longer than I have- 30 years- and she is not familiar with them. Sorry I can't be of more help!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    I can't remember if it was book lice or bedbugs that were infesting library books here a while ago, but either way it got bad enough to be reported on the news, and I don't think I'll ever borrow another library book. :? Can't wait until they go fully digital.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    chadwick wrote:
    come on, people
    no one else knows a single thing about these little shits?

all I know is sometimes when I open my books I see them doing their thing. I just swipe the off and continue reading. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psocoptera
    http://www.rottler.com/blog/post/how-to-get-rid-of-booklice
    "Keep the humidity of you at 50%; placing dehumidifiers in the high humidity areas of your home generally works to accomplish this.
    Fix leaky pipes in your home.
    Throw out boxes and papers that you no longer need or use.
    Frequently dust and vacuum
    Store dry good in sealed containers.
    Typically you can get rid of booklice by disposing of items that are heavily infested, and reducing the humidity in your home and increasing ventilation in storage areas. Reducing the humidity to 50% will eventually kill booklice in your home. Sometimes however a booklice infestation that has been left unnoticed can become very large and chemicals may be needed to completely eliminate them and their breeding areas from your home."

The fucking humidity seems to be crucial!

:? Damned, I don't envy you :( I hope you will get rid of them without minimizing your book collection too much!
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I can't remember if it was book lice or bedbugs that were infesting library books here a while ago, but either way it got bad enough to be reported on the news, and I don't think I'll ever borrow another library book. :? Can't wait until they go fully digital.

books...digital... wha.... :o:cry:

well, ok, PJ_Soul, but only because it's you... :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Please don't get me wrong! I only read real books, and I have no plans to get a kindle. I just want the libraries specifically to go digital so you have the option, so that I don't carry home lice or bedbugs! Books stores are still where it's at. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Please don't get me wrong! I only read real books, and I have no plans to get a kindle. I just want the libraries specifically to go digital so you have the option, so that I don't carry home lice or bedbugs! Books stores are still where it's at. ;)

Hey, I'd still think you're cool even if you had a Kindle. :) I have a good friend who used to own a small independent bookstore and she has a Kindle for travel. It makes sense. But thanks for supporting booksellers. ;)

I know one lady who is in the business that practically has a coronary if you say the "K" word. I just can't get that excited- books will always be around.

Chadwick, I did a little research and it looks like moisture and food not well sealed are enticements for book lice. Here's an article that might help for treatment of the little critters:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6774698_kill-booklice.html

Instructions

1. Locate the source of moisture in the home. Repair any leaking pipes, and patch any areas of the roof that may be leaking. If the basement or crawlspace beneath the house suffers from ongoing flooding, then install a sump pump.

2. Install exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom to help reduce the humidity in the house and control the booklice. Use a dehumidifier in the bathroom to lower humidity, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

3. Place packages of silica granules in boxes with stored books to help reduce moisture.

4. Lay books out to dry periodically. If mold severely covers a book, then throw it away.

[5. Spray all cracks and crevices of the house and around bookcases with an insecticide that contains diazinon, cyfluthrin or tralomethrin. Follow the directions on the label for application. Use a hand-held sprayer or garden pump sprayer for application. It may take 10 to 14 days before the booklice die, according to the University of Florida.]

[6. Sprinkle insecticidal dust containing pyrethrins under the house. The dust will help control the booklice once the area is dry.]

^^^Thes two I bracketed because I personally avoid use of these toxic chemicals!

7. Discard food that contains booklice if it cannot be treated using heat or cold. Heat the food to 180 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 days or freeze food for four days to successfully kill booklice in foods, according to Texas A & M University.

Well I'll certainly get a Kindle if I have to really start worrying about bug infestation. :shock:

But in the meantime, my main issue with the e-readers is that I can't destroy it. :lol: I am a well-intentioned ruiner of books. I break the spines, dogear the pages, write phone numbers and random notes and directions on them, carelessly shove them into purses, spill shit on them, my cat likes to chew on them, etc etc. I can't handle a kindle - I can't even drop the damned thing! Plus, no one's going to steal a dogeared book. :lol: