need a strumming guitar

kbuchholtzkbuchholtz Posts: 60
edited December 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a strat. I like it. It's definitely not for strumming though. I'm beginning to look at options for a new guitar, and was wondering what people thought of an epiphone les paul? Not looking to break the bank. Casual player with friends in jam sessions and a little two-man band. Does anyone know the difference between the various models of les pauls? Traditional, standard, custom, tribute. Are they all basically the same with minor tweaks? Any other models of rhythm guitars to look into?

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BHealyBHealy Posts: 466
    I think the different Les Paul models just have different bells and whistles, mostly cosmetic I think, but the pickups are probably different, and the more expense Epiphone models have coil-tapping (or coil-splitting?). I almost bought one, but got a Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe instead (I love it, but it was more expensive).
  • That's one thing I know nothing about - the pickups. The one tribute I was looking at, that got great reviews, has vintage-type pickups (can't remember exactly what they are). I don't know the difference between the coil split/tapping. More research I suppose.

Thanks for your reply.
  • BHealyBHealy Posts: 466
    Sure- I wish I knew more about the pickups, but the coil-splitting option basically is supposed to make the tone sound like a single-coil (like on a strat), rather than a LP humbucker, but honestly I don't use it that much on mine. It just gives you more options for tone.

Have fun shopping!!
  • Curious, what don't you like about the strat for 'strumming'? Just ask Stone how a strat can work for a rhythm guitarist. ;)
  • themayor wrote:
    Curious, what don't you like about the strat for 'strumming'? Just ask Stone how a strat can work for a rhythm guitarist. ;)
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • I have the LP Tribute. The reason for the higher price is better electronics. It has actual Gibson 57 humbuckers on it. I have really enjoyed it. Add in a BD2 or TS9 pedal and that thing can scream. You will still want to get a prof set-up though.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,740
    When I think of a strumming electric guitar I think of a semi-hollow body. The Epiphone Dot is a nice strumming guitar and very reasonably priced- if you look around you should be able to find a like-new one for between $250 and $300.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• A strat actually is a great rhythm guitar... But anyways,
    What is your price range?
    What kind of rhythm are you looking to play (clean, overdriven, heavily distorted)?
    What kind of amp are you playing through?
    What type of effect pedals do you run?

There are a lot of factors that go into any type of tone you are looking for, one of the biggest non factors a lot of people make into a factor is the "this guitar doesn't look the part".