Sirens = too much McCready?

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited November 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
i was gonna write this on the Porch forum, but i knew i'd probably be eaten alive (not that i'd care)...but i think this is def something to discuss with fellow musicians who have played in bands

Mike plays acoustic 12 string, Stone plays electric, Eddie just sings

then theres a big electric guitar solo...Stone is already playing electric. shouldn't he just do the solo?

but instead, Mike switches to electric to solo, and Eddie has to strap on an acoustic 12 string to play the chords for the rest of the song

seems like a bit of an ego trip on Mike's part. granted he wrote the song and maybe had a big guitar hero solo in mind...but i can see this coming up in a band situation and being like "why doesn't the guy playing electric play the solo? or if Mike wants to solo, he should play electric the whole song and Stone can do the chords on acoustic 12 string"

though Stone does do cool stuff on electric throughout the song

if anything, i'm sure the other band members encouraged Mike to do all that, he probably didn't push for it...just seems like too much hassle to switch instruments mid-song like that

and now, Mike sings backup on it live, instead of Matt, who does it better in the video version....thats another story.
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BHealyBHealy Posts: 466
    Good question! I thought it was odd too. Isn't Stone playing with a slide on that song? I guess it would still be easier to dump the slide during the solo, unless Stone is still playing slide behind Mike's solo. I don't know....
    :)
  • I thought this on "Come Back". I like the song but the felt like there was too much delay on that. Given, it's McCready's part, but just my opinion.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • BerasapjBerasapj Posts: 292
    Maybe the thing is that Stone came up with his part so he plays that and it happened the same with Mike's solo, I guess it's you came up with it you play it kinda thing I think
    Manchester 1&2 2012

Waiting for the next PJ euro Tour

Hoping not to get drown in the wave of life
  • ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    There's no doubt it's Mike's baby through and through. If I had to completely guess (which is all I'm doing), I'd say they were probably happy to let him have whatever parts he wanted to play. Not out of ego, but out of respect. It probably means a lot to him, and the lyrics Eddie penned may really speak to him as well and just tie the whole thing together, which might be why he wants to sing backup also. Again...1,000% speculation...as anyone else would be doing.
  • Just saw it live and the switch kinda works. Didn't look like Ed was playing the same part though. I could be wrong (I was busy singing along ;-)) but Ed looked like he played a regular 6 string acoustic, without capo. Stone still played slide background from what I could see.
  • i think the guitar switch looks pretty awesome. my band learned the song and i was going to do a switch like that and hand the acoustic off to our singer, but it is still cumbersome at this point. when i saw them in phoenix and san diego, ed played a 12 string with a capo. i suppose he could have played a 6 string with it tuned up 1.5 steps. now that i think about it, the increased string tension might make it sound brighter, and he may have decided that it sounds better without the capo. he has a tech, so i am sure if anything needs to be done in he way of adjustments, the tech would do it.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."