John Lester using Vaseline last night???

PJ51390PJ51390 Posts: 728
edited October 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
The evidence looks like there is a possibility!!!

I haven't seen this on the board, but I didn't look too hard. As a former player, I always used to look for stuff like this from opponents during the game! I think it is awesome that a minor leaguer picked it out and tweeted it!

http://t.foxsports.msn.com/mlb/was-pitc ... rld-series
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    it wouldnt surprise me if he had been doctoring the ball. but I would think the home plate umpire would notice that when a ball hit the dirt and the catcher replaces it with a new one.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    it wouldnt surprise me if he had been doctoring the ball. but I would think the home plate umpire would notice that when a ball hit the dirt and the catcher replaces it with a new one.
    There was definitely something there that he went to on a number of occassions last night.
    I doubt that it was Vasoline. If I had to guess, I'd say it was some sort of sticky substance so he could better grip the ball.
    If you notice, in those videos, his first two fingers are seen touching it. Those two fingers are the fingers used to put torque on the ball. The more torque, the more movement on pitches.

Something is fishy.
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    42924-haters-gonna-hate-fat-kid-gif-VHex.gif
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ51390PJ51390 Posts: 728
    mca47 wrote:
    There was definitely something there that he went to on a number of occassions last night.
    I doubt that it was Vasoline. If I had to guess, I'd say it was some sort of sticky substance so he could better grip the ball.
    If you notice, in those videos, his first two fingers are seen touching it. Those two fingers are the fingers used to put torque on the ball. The more torque, the more movement on pitches.

Something is fishy.

Could also be pine tar, which is obviously readily available in any dugout...
    dankind wrote:
    Hey! I am glad the sox won, I was rooting for them. I just think this is interesting and I hate to see if he really was using some foreign substance on the ball. But, honestly, it does look like he was using something.
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    PJ51390 wrote:
    dankind wrote:
    Hey! I am glad the sox won, I was rooting for them. I just think this is interesting and I hate to see if he really was using some foreign substance on the ball. But, honestly, it does look like he was using something.

Right, six officials -- including the home plate ump, who, you know, SEES EVERY PITCH -- the broadcast team for FOX, and 40 or so people in the Cards' dugout missed this, but a few sore losers on social media post their sour grapes, and now we have to actually have this discussion.

It was pine tar (which you hypothesized) or resin. Cold fucking night in the Old Town.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    No reason to get offended. Its obvious something was in his glove. Whether or not it was a substance to help him cheat is up for debate. It doesn't matter to me either way. I'm reminded of the pitcher in Major League saying "whatever u gotta do to win."

It ain't cheatin if you don't get caught. But ill bet Lester is using a different glove in game 5.
    No reason to get offended. Its obvious something was in his glove. Whether or not it was a substance to help him cheat is up for debate. It doesn't matter to me either way. I'm reminded of the pitcher in Major League saying "whatever u gotta do to win."

It ain't cheatin if you don't get caught. But ill bet Lester is using a different glove in game 5.
    Agreed, not sure the need to get all mad about this. He may have a new glove or that one is scrubbed clean before then.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    eddieharris_display_image_display_image.jpg?1304587713

You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?
    Jason P wrote:
    eddieharris_display_image_display_image.jpg?1304587713

You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?
    best line of the movie!
    dankind wrote:

Right, six officials -- including the home plate ump, who, you know, SEES EVERY PITCH -- the broadcast team for FOX, and 40 or so people in the Cards' dugout missed this, but a few sore losers on social media post their sour grapes, and now we have to actually have this discussion.

It was pine tar (which you hypothesized) or resin. Cold fucking night in the Old Town.

I'm pulling for the Sox too. That said, I'm never cool with someone cheating.
    The crew gave the pitchers the ability to "go to the mouth" last night because it was a cold night. Any substance on the glove is illegal. He clearly knew it was there as he kept touching it between pitches.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    something was obviously there, but honestly... this is on the cards. how do you not spot that in the first inning!? :lol: :fp:
    rival. wrote:
    something was obviously there, but honestly... this is on the cards. how do you not spot that in the first inning!? :lol: :fp:

That also takes some serious balls to try and put something in your glove with millions of people watching. Dude got away with it!! Impressive.
    Oh well, a win is a win. Tough to proove anything now. What do you want to bet that glove will never be seen again! :D
  • mca47 wrote:
    rival. wrote:

That also takes some serious balls to try and put something in your glove with millions of people watching. Dude got away with it!! Impressive.
    Oh well, a win is a win. Tough to proove anything now. What do you want to bet that glove will never be seen again! :D

I know! You have to have some major balls to try and pull off a stunt like that in this day and age where everything is analyzed and scrutinized to death.