Options

Some observations of LB

fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
edited October 2013 in The Porch
Lets get back to the content...

I still try to wrap my head around the album and have no idea yet how to place it. But here are some observations.

Is it me are there 1) some references to previous songs and poems on this album:

In MFS: a reference to " a work of art"; the poem in the Vitalogy booklet
In FD: "crooked hearts" a reference to Smile
Swallowed Whole seems obvious; even though the meaning here is more positive than the one on BS.

and there are some others....

Also (2) some interesting word plays:

Getaway: "middle" - once again referencing to the middle in Porch and Half Full, but now on a sinking ship (a reference to the crisis?)
MFS: Shirley, pronounced as "surely".

And 3:

Some songs seem the opposite of previous songs. Some more blatant than others, but

MFS: seem almost the opposite of Release. Where the protagonist in Release was looking for redemption through his unknown father, here we almost see the anger agaings the unknown father. (With "the mountain of regret" as the best line.)
Also FD: if you compare it to Parting Ways of Binaural. Where the latter was about the ending of a relationship, this song seems about solidifying of a relationship. (And the connected dot is the violen.)

So in short: it seems on purpose almost, how this album inconnects with their previous catalogue.