The wisdom that the old can't give away.

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,629
edited October 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I love that line but this is not about the song nearly so much as it is the thought. If there is a collection of life long learning that contains some of that wisdom, surely it is found in the book Reflections, Henry Miller edited by Twinka Thiebaud. I found there answers to questions that have plagued me for decades. These gems are the culmination of a lifetime of wisdom built on struggle, brilliance, and experience.

And I'm intrigued by the editor. What a name- Twinka Thiebaud! I must learn more about her as well.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Twinka?! :D8-)

Interesting Brian. I'll have to look that one up.

Good Pj quote too. I assume its about personal life experiendces that are too hard to pass on to others. I'm not sure..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,629
    Twinka?! :D8-)

Good Pj quote too. I assume its about personal life experiendces that are too hard to pass on to others. I'm not sure..

Yes, experiences cannot be passed along. Everyone has to go down some paths alone like learning to deal with rejection or loss. Feeling more comfortable with some of my own experiences is what I gained from Miller.

But some of what Miller gives us is readily accessible and more general in nature. For instance, though in his early years as a writer he himself lived like a bum, he thought of himself as an intellectual and looked down on certain types of people. But one day he up and threw the few things he had in a bag and started to hitch hike- to no place in particular, just where ever rides took him. In his meandering he met many people and learned much. He said:

"The greatest lesson I learned from those adventures was how dead wrong I had been in my opinion and prejudices against certain types of people and places. It was wonderful to find out there are good people, extraordinary people from all walks of life , in every part of the country."
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux wrote:
    Twinka?! :D8-)

Yes, experiences cannot be passed along. Everyone has to go down some paths alone like learning to deal with rejection or loss. Feeling more comfortable with some of my own experiences is what I gained from Miller.

But some of what Miller gives us is readily accessible and more general in nature. For instance, though in his early years as a writer he himself lived like a bum, he thought of himself as an intellectual and looked down on certain types of people. But one day he up and threw the few things he had in a bag and started to hitch hike- to no place in particular, just where ever rides took him. In his meandering he met many people and learned much. He said:

"The greatest lesson I learned from those adventures was how dead wrong I had been in my opinion and prejudices against certain types of people and places. It was wonderful to find out there are good people, extraordinary people from all walks of life , in every part of the country."

That makes me sad that I havent traveled more. In 2011, I left the USA to see another country for the first time - Costa Rica - I was amazed and intrigued by all the people I met along the way. I really think meeting people from all over the world and getting a chance to really hear them talk can be one of the best eye-opening experiences a person can have.

Also, there is an interesting point to the Pj quote as well. I think some things can be passed along...some experiences can be passed along to a slight degree...but as you said, rejection/loss/reward/excitement are all dealt with individually. I sued to wish I had more guidance from a few elders, but now I kinda like and appreciate the fact that I was a bit sheltered and unaware for awhile...its has made me more curious and open, to some further degree, I think. I cant quite put it tinto words appropriately today...didntget too much sleep last night. :yawn: :crazy:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "half empty or half full" question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: "How heavy is this glass of water?" Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz. She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes." She continued, "The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed – incapable of doing anything." It’s important to remember to let go of your stresses. As early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down. Don't carry them through the evening and into the night. Remember to put the glass down!
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    hydrogen peroxide removes stains from carpets. add capfuls to stains and dab up with papertowels. the liquid cause of the stain will soak up into the papertowel like magic. even if years old.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    rollings, I could just hug you.

There've been many written passages affecting my life. Favorite is my dad's ethical will; two pages of simple wishes, observations, melancholy and resolution. He did give that away, and I'm thankful to carry it with me through this life.

Maybe it's more about openness in what's being offered from those who've been there, anywhere? Doesn't mean we can't learn on our own along the way - that's a must, actually, as you mentioned, B.

PS - Twinka's name might be one of the best I've heard yet.

A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "half empty or half full" question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: "How heavy is this glass of water?" Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz. She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes." She continued, "The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed – incapable of doing anything." It’s important to remember to let go of your stresses. As early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down. Don't carry them through the evening and into the night. Remember to put the glass down!

Whoa- first off, I forgot all about this thread. Interesting!

And very interesting thoughts there, Mr. Trios. I have to admit to being one of those people who tend to carry certain worries around with me. But whenever I find myself thinking of them as worries I rethink them into concerns and then focus on what needs to be done to make things better which always takes me back to what I hold as most important- action. Fruitless fuming, stressing, worrying leads to little more than insomnia and a bad stomach but useful action can revive the wilted foliage of the mind, put a spring back into ones stride, and do wonders to forge ahead to a better place.

After many a year, I'm re-reading John Steinbeck's Cannery Row and totally enjoying being immersed in that world again. It's helping lift many a burden these last few days.

• ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    rollings said:

hydrogen peroxide removes stains from carpets. add capfuls to stains and dab up with papertowels. the liquid cause of the stain will soak up into the papertowel like magic. even if years old.

Is that true? Is it safe to mix with blah cuz Im pretty sure one of them is a bleach stain
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    ldent42 said:

rollings said:

Is that true? Is it safe to mix with blah cuz Im pretty sure one of them is a bleach stain
    yes.... in fact, mixing with blah is encouraged
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    brianlux said:

And very interesting thoughts there, Mr. Trios. I have to admit to being one of those people who tend to carry certain worries around with me. But whenever I find myself thinking of them as worries I rethink them into concerns and then focus on what needs to be done to make things better which always takes me back to what I hold as most important- action. Fruitless fuming, stressing, worrying leads to little more than insomnia and a bad stomach but useful action can revive the wilted foliage of the mind, put a spring back into ones stride, and do wonders to forge ahead to a better place.

After many a year, I'm re-reading John Steinbeck's Cannery Row and totally enjoying being immersed in that world again. It's helping lift many a burden these last few days.
    mind blown, Mr. Lux. I have to read this book.

brianlux said:

mind blown, Mr. Lux. I have to read this book.
    It's such a great book, David! It's one of those books that pulls you right in. You can see and smell and hear everything about that seaside town and feel like you personally know the characters. And Sweet Thursday is Steinbeck's marvelous follow-up to that story. Great stuff. Hope you like it!

• SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Cannery Row is a great read. I'm more curious about the Reflections, Henry Miller book. I'll have to see if the local library has a copy.Thanks for the suggestion, Mr. Lux.
    ELITIST FUK
    SD48277 said:

Cannery Row is a great read. I'm more curious about the Reflections, Henry Miller book. I'll have to see if the local library has a copy.Thanks for the suggestion, Mr. Lux.

Both excellent reads! :smiley: