Saskatoon 05

coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
edited August 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
So I've been listening to some of the boots from last year I picked up and it's pretty hard to argue that Saskatoon isn't one of the best shows ever done by the guys.

They were on that night no doubt. Great setlist, great interaction with the crowd, Eddie standing right on the edge of the barrier for Porch and the intimate "campfire" songs puts this one at the top of concerts done by them. Also. besides maybe the crazy people down in Brazil this may be the loudest crowd captured on boot (for the small crowd ~4000)

If you don't believe me check out the setlist or better yet, drop a couple bucks and by the boot!! Believe me you won't regret it!!
Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
Leaving is for the answering machine.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,781
    my problem is that i wanna listen to all the shows since they all look so freakin good. i havent heard this one yet but was looking at the setlist earlier. maybe i'll pick it up after my "must haves" are out of the way.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
    take out last kiss, insignificance and Whipping and replace with breath, satan's bed, last exit and it would be damn near perfect, but you're right a great setlist
    I Got Shit and Footsteps in the same show is pretty spectacular
  • coachchris wrote:
    it's pretty hard to argue that Saskatoon isn't one of the best shows ever done by the guys.

no its not. its not one of the best shows ever. not saying its bad, but thats a ridiculous statement.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • O-WO-W Posts: 53
    no its not. its not one of the best shows ever. not saying its bad, but thats a ridiculous statement.

Someone missed the class on backing up one's arguement :)
  • I was there 7th row....I agree the band was on fire...but the crowd was quiet from my vantage point (especially compared to Calgary)...but incredible set list....however from talking to many people after and since the show they loved it...Saskatoon isn't a place where people get rocking crazy....people are laid back and prefer to sit back and enjoy the show then get all loud and crazy....overall very freaking good show....however IMHO far from the best....but better than average....but it is loud on the boot for a small amount of people...but compared to the shows I was at in vancouver and especially Calgary it was not in the same league...but there was also about 14,000 more people at those shows....
  • coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
    I was there 7th row....I agree the band was on fire...but the crowd was quiet from my vantage point (especially compared to Calgary)...but incredible set list....however from talking to many people after and since the show they loved it...Saskatoon isn't a place where people get rocking crazy....people are laid back and prefer to sit back and enjoy the show then get all loud and crazy....overall very freaking good show....however IMHO far from the best....but better than average....but it is loud on the boot for a small amount of people...but compared to the shows I was at in vancouver and especially Calgary it was not in the same league...but there was also about 14,000 more people at those shows....

Like I said, on the boot the crowd sounds great especially for only ~4000 people in attendance. I heard Calgary was insane as well but out of the 7 shows I've seen Winnipeg took the loudness to another level. I haven't heard anything like that before in my life and I would consider myself a definate concert goer. I'll go see anybody I can get tickets to. Ozzy, KISS, Stones, ACDC, Garth Brooks (I know he's country but his fans are nuts) you name it, nobody had a reception that I've seen like PJ did in Winnipeg.

I don't have a problem with you saying it's not one of the best if you were there or heard the boot. IMHO out of the 7 shows I've seen and over 50 boots that I own it is hands down the best besides maybe Boston 3 with the accoustic preset but that's just not fair :) I would have a hard time finding a better first encore then Saskatoon but that could just be my taste. And please, point me to a better version of Porch if there is one ;)
  • coachchris wrote:
    I don't have a problem with you saying it's not one of the best if you were there or heard the boot. IMHO out of the 7 shows I've seen and over 50 boots that I own it is hands down the best besides maybe Boston 3 with the accoustic preset but that's just not fair :) I would have a hard time finding a better first encore then Saskatoon but that could just be my taste. And please, point me to a better version of Porch if there is one ;)

better 1st encore: grand rapids 06

better porch: thunder bay
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
    better 1st encore: grand rapids 06

better porch: thunder bay

I still prefer Saskatoon 1st encore as Sleight of Hand, Around The Bend and Parting Ways aren't favourites although Hard To Imagine would be freaking fantastic to see.

Better Porch being in Thunder Bay was odd to me since I was at that show and it's my hometown (just moved to Edmonton). It was by far something I would have never thought possible, Pearl Jam rocking out my hometown and the Gardens.

If you look at audience participation as a factor, Saskatoon blew Thunder Bay out of the water. Eddie had to wait for anyone to realize what was going on. Mike is incredible though, no doubt.
  • coachchris wrote:
    Like I said, on the boot the crowd sounds great especially for only ~4000 people in attendance. I heard Calgary was insane as well but out of the 7 shows I've seen Winnipeg took the loudness to another level. I haven't heard anything like that before in my life and I would consider myself a definate concert goer. I'll go see anybody I can get tickets to. Ozzy, KISS, Stones, ACDC, Garth Brooks (I know he's country but his fans are nuts) you name it, nobody had a reception that I've seen like PJ did in Winnipeg.

I am in the same boat and Calgary was the loudest concert I have ever experiecned...to think that compared to Winnipeg, which sounded exceptional....there were around 3,000 more people at the Calgary show.....

The Saddledome has never been more packed for a show in its lifetime (which includes very very big names).....seeing people in the fourth deck was incredible.....however back to Saskatoon I had a 300,000# and I was dead center 7th row.....incredible and will never be that close again....Porch was the highlight for me...."Is is Safe?"....incredible Ed moment....plus I Got ID had me losing my freaking mind.....
  • the more that shows that you go to, the harder I find it to pick a "best ever"...every show has something different about it that blows you away!

For me:

in Calgary it was the crowd noise and excitement (plus oceans, RM, HTI)

in Saskatoon it almost felt like a club show, the band was super laid back and seemed like they were almost switching the setlist on the fly...getting footsteps, OHG, PT and a valiant attempt at runnin back to saskatoon was flat out awesome
    "Like a cloud dropping rain...I'm discarding all thought"
  • moonsteps wrote:
    the more that shows that you go to, the harder I find it to pick a "best ever"...every show has something different about it that blows you away!

For me:

in Calgary it was the crowd noise and excitement (plus oceans, RM, HTI)

in Saskatoon it almost felt like a club show, the band was super laid back and seemed like they were almost switching the setlist on the fly...getting footsteps, OHG, PT and a valiant attempt at runnin back to saskatoon was flat out awesome

I have a feeling there was no official setlist (kinda like some of the Japanese shows) ...seemed really off the wall show....I went to twofeethick and the last time I checked there was no set-list shown. I loved the Saskatoon show for that small town ambiance it created....
  • S'toon was a show that had a great setlist with a crowd that was layed back for majority of the show. You can sure tell the ten clubers and/or people who have saw PJ before in the crowd. The rest of crowd was either blown away by the show or didn't know half the songs.
  • blackhalos wrote:
    S'toon was a show that had a great setlist with a crowd that was layed back for majority of the show. You can sure tell the ten clubers and/or people who have saw PJ before in the crowd. The rest of crowd was either blown away by the show or didn't know half the songs.

From people I talked to that knew barley any PJ songs but the basic were ALL blown away...hell I may have to talked to about 100 people (people I dont know personally) about the show and all were blown away...if PJ ever came back it would undoubtly be a larger crowd...some people said they couldn't believe how long they played and of those apporx. 100 people all said it was the best concert they have ever seen...PJ was on freaking fire that night....
  • From people I talked to that knew barley any PJ songs but the basic were ALL blown away...hell I may have to talked to about 100 people (people I dont know personally) about the show and all were blown away...if PJ ever came back it would undoubtly be a larger crowd...some people said they couldn't believe how long they played and of those apporx. 100 people all said it was the best concert they have ever seen...PJ was on freaking fire that night....
    I totally agree dude. PJ put on a pretty decent show, I would put it second on my PJ list of fav shows (1st is Vegas 03). I also talked to a lot of people after the show and they thought it was an unbelievable show.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    they played running back to saskatoon. best show ever.