Detroit

South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
edited October 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
So I get to spend two lovely weeks in Detroit for work pretty soon.

Any must sees or places to go?
NERDS!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Fox Theater, Fillmore East, Hard Rock Cafe, Chili's Bar & Grill, Hockey Town Bar,
    Ford's Field (NFL Lions), Comerica Park (MLB Tigers) all within 1/2 mile on Woodward Downtown.
    2014.10.16 Detroit, MI
    2011.06.26 Detroit, MI (Ed solo), 2006.05.20 Auburn Hills, MI
    2006.05.19 Grand Rapids, MI, 2006.05.09 Toronto, ON
    2005.09.19 Toronto, ON, 2004.10.03 Grand Rapids, MI
    2004.10.02 Toledo, OH, 2003.06.26 Clarkston, MI
    2003.06.25 Clarkston, MI, 2000.10.07 Auburn Hills, MI
    1998.08.23 Auburn Hills, MI, 1998.08.18 East Lansing, MI
    1992.08.01 Clarkston, MI, 1991.11.21 Ann Arbor, MI
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    paging Cav or Leeze to the thread...Cav or Leeze...please report to the thread as soon as possible. Thank-you.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Sweet, thanks for the info so far.

Yeah the office is in the GM Ren center, so I'll be in that area most of the time.
    NERDS!
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    edited October 2013
    You wouldn't think it, but Detroit is worth a trip :) i'm just adding to what others said...
    Go and check out the Heidelberg project. It is in a not-so-good area, but seems safe throughout the day. They even carry busloads of tourists there ... It is an open air art project, I love this place!
    http://www.heidelberg.org/

When you're into Motown, go to the Motown museum, it's a lot of fun and pretty interesting :)

When you're into art, go to the DIA, their collection is amazing and they have a pretty cool animation movies exhibition there right now. Make sure you see the Diego Riviera mural!

The Opera House looks goregous on the inside too.

The zoo has a fantastic aquarium where you can walk under water.

If you are there on a Saturday, check out Eastern Market.

We also love to drag our guests to the water front where you can see Windsor / Canada and we always try to sneak into a parking garage that used to be one of the most beautiful and ginormous movie houses, the Michigan Building. The building itself is pretty cool with all the old interior. But once you take a step into that "parking lot", your jaws will drop :)

This is all I can think of now :think:

Here's a list of possible tours: http://detroittourconnections.com/Detro ... orthy.html

Have a great time and be safe :D PM ff you are in the mood, maybe we can meetup for a beverage, there's tons of PJ people around here :wave:
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • You wouldn't think it, but Detroit is worth a trip :)
    Go and check out the Heidelberg project. It is in a not-so-good area, but seems safe throughout the day. They even carry busloads of tourists there ... It is an open air art project, I love it there.

When you're into Motown, go to the Motown museum, it's a lot of fun.

When you're into art, go to the DIA, their collection is amazing and they have a pretty cool animation movies exhibition there right now. Make sure you see the Diego Riviera mural!

I think there is something like a "photo bus" toour that leads you to all the cool landmarks like the train station. The zoo has a fantastic aquarium where you can walk under water :)

If you are there on a Saturday, check out Eastern Market.

We also love to drag our guests to the water front where you can see Windsor / Canada and we always try to sneak into a parking garage that used to be one of the most beautiful and ginormous movie houses. The building itself is pretty cool with all the old interior. But once you take a step into that "parking lot", your jaws will drop :)

This is all I can think of now :think:

Here's a couple of links: http://detroittourconnections.com/Detro ... orthy.html

Have a great time and be safe :D PM if you are in the mood, maybe we can meetup for a beverage, there's tons of PJ people around here :wave:

Thank you!

Yeah, I'll be there for two weeks it looks like at the beginning of January. I think the office overlooks the river into Windsor, maybe I can just sneak you in :mrgreen:
    NERDS!
    Thank you!

Yeah, I'll be there for two weeks it looks like at the beginning of January. I think the office overlooks the river into Windsor, maybe I can just sneak you in :mrgreen:

:thumbup: :D

Pack some warm clothes, it is gonna be COLD!
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    edited October 2013
    Thank you!

Oh yes. That mental note has already been made :lol:

They wanted me to go in the beginning of December, but I have a commitment on the 6th of December that I couldn't leave town for.
    Post edited by South of Seattle on
    NERDS!
    Thank you!

Oh yes. That mental note has already been made :lol:

They wanted me to go in the beginning of September, but I have a commitment on the 6th of December that I couldn't leave town for.

Hehehe, see you there :D
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Someday I'll have to put a flower on James Jamerson's grave
  • You couldn't pay me to go there right now. Isn't it pretty much under Marshall alright now?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    You couldn't pay me to go there right now. Isn't it pretty much under Marshall alright now?

No, they have an emergency manager but it's not a military issue... in other words, the military is not in charge. Not martial law
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    You should check out a few hourly-rate motels on 8-Mile.
    You couldn't pay me to go there right now. Isn't it pretty much under Marshall alright now?

No, they have an emergency manager but it's not a military issue... in other words, the military is not in charge. Not martial law
    I believe Omni Consumer Products has things under control.
  • Isn't it pretty much under Marshall alright now?

Not sure where "alright" came from?? SUpposed to be "law." Sometimes my iPad does this.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    On a serious note, catch a Red Wings game at The Joe.

Then go to Greek Town and order a deep dish pizza at Pizza Papalis ... but remember to make sure you have Tums back at the hotel when 3am comes rolling around. :geek: