Options

***Newcastle Setlist Thread

Comments

• Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    A decent amount of YIELD-related material and a great setlist. I still love Wachovia/Philly 10/3/05 more, though!
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    SOUNDCHECK

Alone
    Fatal
    In My Tree
    Throw Your Hatred Down

Main set:

Alive, Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Save You, Insignificance, Unemployable, Brain Of J., Red Mosquito, Given To Fly, Last Exit, Hail Hail, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Better Man, Daughter(War), Whipping, Leatherman, Down, Do The Evolution, Undone, Rearviewmirror

Encore 1 Thumbing My Way, Masters Of War, Footsteps, Crown Of Thorns, Alone, Even Flow

Encore 2 Corduroy, Fuckin' Up, Rockin' In The Free World, Yellow Ledbetter/Little Wing

gonna have to get this one 32 songs including tags(thats what basecamp are putting on the boot no soundcheck :()

now what was it like????
    That's got to be one of the best sets this year. Definitely on par with Madrid.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    :banging my head and crying: sooo jealous of Gitta and Einat...

if I was in Oz and not at that show I'd be killing myself right now!

on PAR with Madrid?? you must be kidding..that's better than Marseille and THAT was the best setlist in Europe (and I don't want to hear about it :(..at least I had a good excuse for not being at that one..)

now I'm a bit confused though...from comments on this thread about 4th row and such it sounds like it was seated...I thought that show was GA.
    That's certainly what Jake told us in Athens...makes me feel a little better if it wasn't (as I'd have ended up with shitty seats had I gone)..

OK, NOW THE SAME IN THE REAL NEWCASTLE, ENGLAND!!
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    Based on the set-list, I have a feeling it was made up by someone other than the band. I know they tend to do this once or twice per tour, at the Gorge shows, Ed said one of Mike's friends did the setlist. I wish they did this more often.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    Bender_ wrote:
    Wow, all I can say is that if any audience deserved a mind blowingly awesome set (s) like that it's Newcastle, especially given the circumstances in which they battled to get a concert on.

It's definitely a must buy boot isn't it, (but then again so is Brisbane 1 & 2, Melbourne 3, Sydney 3, the list goes on).

Master's of War, damnit, the passion that Ed throws into that song always makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Personally I think Pearl Jam's cover is better then Dylan's original.

Incidentally that was about an 20 song opening set wasn't it? Is that a record?

Like I said, it's going to be a must buy boot.

I think the record of most songs in the first set is the 7/22/98 Seattle show, where they were 23 songs deep before it ended.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    obiwon76 wrote:
    Based on the set-list, I have a feeling it was made up by someone other than the band.

Ed said last night Mark Richards wrote the set list....
    Luke

Sydney 2 Aust. 1995
    Sydney 1 Aust. 1998
    Sydney 2 Aust. 1998
    Sydney 3 Aust. 1998
    Sydney 1 Aust. 2003
    Sydney 3 Aust. 2003
    Sydney 1 Aust. 2006
    Sydney 2 Aust. 2006
    Newcastle Aust. 2006
  • Options
    Who is Mark Richards and how can we thank him?
  • Options
    obiwon76 wrote:
    Who is Mark Richards and how can we thank him?

who is?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Richards_%28surfer%29

how do you thank him? buy a surfboard:
    http://markrichardssurfboards.com/

Ed said last night Mark had been on the whole aussie tour bar 3 shows and thanked Marks Families. I have also seen Mark come on stage at two prior Sydney shows on previous tours.

Also, I think if you watch carefully in the extras at Live at the Garden (?) where they show just about everyone they met on tour, you'll see Mark present Ed a yellow surfboard. (I think)

Mark Richards quote from last night ..."Is this the best fucking band in the world or what?!?!" In great aussie/ ocker accent...

cheers
    Luke

Sydney 2 Aust. 1995
    Sydney 1 Aust. 1998
    Sydney 2 Aust. 1998
    Sydney 3 Aust. 1998
    Sydney 1 Aust. 2003
    Sydney 3 Aust. 2003
    Sydney 1 Aust. 2006
    Sydney 2 Aust. 2006
    Newcastle Aust. 2006
  • Options
    JoeyJoJo wrote:
    who is?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Richards_%28surfer%29

how do you thank him? buy a surfboard:
    http://markrichardssurfboards.com/

Ed said last night Mark had been on the whole aussie tour bar 3 shows and thanked Marks Families. I have also seen Mark come on stage at two prior Sydney shows on previous tours.

Also, I think if you watch carefully in the extras at Live at the Garden (?) where they show just about everyone they met on tour, you'll see Mark present Ed a yellow surfboard. (I think)

Mark Richards quote from last night ..."Is this the best fucking band in the world or what?!?!" In great aussie/ ocker accent...

cheers

after which he skulled a bootle of wine! F@#K YEAH!

as for those hoping for a dvd... i was in row 5 a didn't see any camera's (professional anyway) and the screens weren't up for this show either so unfortunately for some of you who didn't get there i dont think its gonna happen...

The screens weren't needed being such a "cosy" venue! as eddie stated... "this feels more like a party than a concert" ... i think that says it all!
    and as for the setlist... best show i've ever heard... crown of thorns, alone, masters of war, footsteps... some songs i thought i'd never hear live and
    ledbetter with little wing then back into ledbetter to finish it all off is unbeatable!... very intimate yet at the same time extremely intense...
  • Options
    threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    Skirrow wrote:
    as for those hoping for a dvd... i was in row 5 a didn't see any camera's (professional anyway) and the screens weren't up for this show either so unfortunately for some of you who didn't get there i dont think its gonna happen...

Well they have recorded every show since about 98 so i don't know why this would be any differant. a couple of the crew guys normally run round with hand helds. they are mostly side of stage or down front where the sercurity stands. and they have a camera set up permantly on matt.

So you may not of seen them but i'm pretty sure they would have been there.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Options
    I dont even have to read this thread to know people are going to say its the best show of the tour and i agree. In fact this is the best pearl jam show I've ever seen out of the 26 i've been to. I dont even want to go to adelaide after this.
    Just unbelievable.

Words cant describe, so i won't bother trying to!
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    SOUNDCHECK

Alone
    Fatal
    In My Tree
    Throw Your Hatred Down

Main set:

Alive, Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Save You, Insignificance, Unemployable, Brain Of J., Red Mosquito, Given To Fly, Last Exit, Hail Hail, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Better Man, Daughter(War), Whipping, Leatherman, Down, Do The Evolution, Undone, Rearviewmirror

Encore 1 Thumbing My Way, Masters Of War, Footsteps, Crown Of Thorns, Alone, Even Flow

Encore 2 Corduroy, Fuckin' Up, Rockin' In The Free World, Yellow Ledbetter/Little Wing

gonna have to get this one 32 songs including tags(thats what basecamp are putting on the boot no soundcheck :()

now what was it like????

thats one hell of a setlist. the yield crew is gonna love that one
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    jlew24asu wrote:
    thats one hell of a setlist. the yield crew is gonna love that one

Brain of J
    Given to Fly
    Do the Evolution
    Leatherman

That makes it a good YIELD-tinged show? It'd take more YIELD than that to make it stand out, but overall it's quite an amazing set. The first encore would seem to be really intense.

Thank you Mark Richards.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    man oh man what a show it was
    Im so stoked
    MARK YOU ARE THE MAN, I knew from the start it was his list, I just knew. actually told my mate craig at the pre show that that what was gunna make newy special.
    MARK is a huge fan. He gave me the gorge disc. A four times surfing world champ gives a kook like me that. your a bloody legend mark, and a true gentleman.
    and what a setlist what a show, Ed was truly exited he was jumping out of his skin.
    and the newy guys who organised the petition
    YOU GUYS ROCK WELL DONE, thank you do much
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    ALSO
    Ive again gotta thank the guys who organised the pre show party.
    Money raised go's to KALIDESCOPE ( Newcastle kiddies hospital)
    I have a little girl ( pJ FAN) who has a genetic condition and she attends clinics and has occasional stays in the hospital. I was just so moved by all of you and how much was raised. I didnt speak to anyone I was a little bit emotional and wanted to keep it together.
    BUT ALL OF YOU WHO GAVE THANKS SO MUCH>
    your all pure of heart. and geez wernt you all rewarded
    thanks again to the newy guys who organised both the petition and pre show
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    Was there any post show celebrations last night.?

I was going to hang around but was satisfied with the show itself so headed home for some kip.

Drove past the Kent before the guys would have left the venue though and the Kent was busy. I did hear some dude say on the way out the Band was going to the Kent. Don't know though....
    Luke

Sydney 2 Aust. 1995
    Sydney 1 Aust. 1998
    Sydney 2 Aust. 1998
    Sydney 3 Aust. 1998
    Sydney 1 Aust. 2003
    Sydney 3 Aust. 2003
    Sydney 1 Aust. 2006
    Sydney 2 Aust. 2006
    Newcastle Aust. 2006
  • Options
    Has anyone got a photo of the newy poster?

Please.

and if anyone has a spare one i have a brissie 2 poster to trade.
  • Options
    DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    man oh man what a show it was
    Im so stoked
    MARK YOU ARE THE MAN, I knew from the start it was his list, I just knew. actually told my mate craig at the pre show that that what was gunna make newy special.
    MARK is a huge fan. He gave me the gorge disc. A four times surfing world champ gives a kook like me that. your a bloody legend mark, and a true gentleman.
    and what a setlist what a show, Ed was truly exited he was jumping out of his skin.
    and the newy guys who organised the petition
    YOU GUYS ROCK WELL DONE, thank you do much

Yeah spot on mate.

I had the pleasure of meeting/drinking with Rob (Oz Jammer) and his partner Amanda at both Syd 3 and Newy. Wonderful people and really down to earth.

Also met Andrew at the hotdog stand before the gig and passed on my thanks and to see the guys getting the ovation inside was the least the crowd could do.

The pre-gig was really well organised and what a great mix of people.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Andre_W wrote:
    Absofuckinlutely insane!!

Thankyou everyone who signed the petition and help make it all possible! :):)
    How's them shit seats mate? :)

Kristy, Judd, and the others I've met this tour- I know it doesn't help much, but we really did wish you guys were there with us taking this all in.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Though I know it's already been said and will continue to be said, what an amazing setlist. I feel numb to how amazing the setlist was in Newcastle, because it is that great. Alone, Undone, Crown, Master of War, etc.

Can they be getting ready to finally break out Hold On? Hawaii, please? So many die-hards are flying out to Hawaii just for the show and that includes me.
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    Have you ever been someplace where something great is happening, and you can’t believe you are lucky enough to be there to witness it… that was last night. It is a day later and I am still stunned.
    Portland 98; Charlotte 00; Greensboro 00; Raleigh 03; Bristow 03; Asheville 04; Toronto 05; Sydney x 3 06; Newcastle 06; San Diego 09
  • Options
    i still can't believe i was there!

2011 - Eddie Vedder Sydney 1
    _____________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i know - i'm still buzzing. i took a mate that was a fan but didn't have lost dogs or binaural i think. she had never seen them before and was just overwhelmed. the whole trip back to sydney she was just flying. she couldnt get over the amount of grown men and women hugging/high fiving/laughing/crying at the show.
    i'm always proud to say i am a pearl jam freak but last night i was even prouder! newcastle newcastle newcastle (as the crowd was chanting in the first encore break - ha ha)!
  • Options
    JoeyJoJo wrote:
    Was there any post show celebrations last night.?

I was going to hang around but was satisfied with the show itself so headed home for some kip.

Drove past the Kent before the guys would have left the venue though and the Kent was busy. I did hear some dude say on the way out the Band was going to the Kent. Don't know though....

We walked past the Kent about an hr or so after the show maybe? Just gotta kebab haha and headed back to our hotel.

We had a few of the Canadians with us though, Jason and a few other touring van guys and just sat around talking, watching clips from all the European shows Jason had been to and checking out the pictures, and songs from the boots whilst drinking till 5.30am :D

Just got home and need a snooze but I still don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight :eek:

PS: Good to say Gday to Linc, Dan, Brendan (good to see ya had ur rocking out shoes on too last night mate...not too bad for an old fella ;) ), Annette, Brett, Jason, Christian, Ben, Mick, Gus, Andrew, Rob and everyone else we bumped into :D
    I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stoney G.

http://www.myspace.com/ozbeachbum

7/11/06 - Sydney 1
    18/11/06 - Sydney 3
    19/11/06 - Newcastle Baby!
  • Options
    bendid wrote:

Thanks man.

Anyone want to trade me??
  • Options
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I bet the people expecting all the maintream classics eg Alive, Betterman, Jeremy, Black etc are wondering what the fuck half of these songs are! "I've never heard this one...or this one....or this one..."

yeah mate it was pretty funny. lotta people dancing around me but they didnt know the words ( so I sang for em) a bloke behind me kept on yelling out " play jeremy play the good stuff" so i turned around eventually and said " what the good stuff you know" and just laughed
    lol
    ONE FOR THE FANS
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    I have just one thing to say .......

WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS?!?
  • Options
    my photos were pretty crap from the 2nd row.. got a few good ones but i think other people will post better ones soon.

Did everyone notice how angry Ed was singing masters of war, it was amazing being right in front of him for that.
  • Options
    longroad1 wrote:
    my photos were pretty crap from the 2nd row.. got a few good ones but i think other people will post better ones soon.

Did everyone notice how angry Ed was singing masters of war, it was amazing being right in front of him for that.

i was right over to stone's side and could see he looked really intense :eek:

someone else said Stone had a really mad/intense look whilst playing too just hitting the strings as hard as he could! sounded like it too! :D
    I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stoney G.

http://www.myspace.com/ozbeachbum

7/11/06 - Sydney 1
    18/11/06 - Sydney 3
    19/11/06 - Newcastle Baby!