Yellow Moon Lyrics

smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
edited October 2013 in The Porch
I heard this song on the stream and my first thoughts were this sounds very "country" and wasn't grasped my first listen.

After getting the files trough a friend and listening more... I really have fallen in love with this song. When the first chorus begins the song really opens up and has alot of atmosphere.. There's alot of empty behind the song.. The song is there but there is also a hollow empty sound behind it.. Not sure if you catch what I mean but I really enjoy that.

The middle of the song to the end just gets better. I really enjoy how much the song is allowed to breathe and where it grows. The song ends alot different than it begins.

We got the cd yesterday. Last night I was looking through the book and read the lyrics closer to the song..

Here they are..

--

Here far away
One could feel the earth vibrate
Moon changing shape and shade
as we all do under its gaze

Yellow moon on the rise
Yellow moon on the rise

Round we go, where we stop no one knows
So tonight the moon i go...
Yellow moon on the rise

An echo that rings
a bullet unchained
one life, one grave
joins the parade

The sky grows dark
with fallen stars
who'd come so far

a headstone engraved
the colors turns grey
the black and white fades

Yellow Moon on the rise
Yellow Moon on the rise

--

The part I bolded really stood out to me and grabbed me.. I didn't realize these were the words on my first few listens... When i saw that's what it said I listened a few more times.

Clearly he is speaking of dying, or death with those words. It totally changed how I looked at the song and really impressed me.

The part of the song that has those lyrics just grows and grows until it feels like its going to explode and when it gets to the part that says " a headstone engraved, the colors turn grey, the black and white fades".... I really feel are some of the best and most emotional lyrics ever written by EV.

This song continues to grow on me. If you've only listened once or twice and didn't enjoy it, may I suggest giving it another shot and telling me how the lyrics speak to you once you know what they say.

I've heard throughout my life that when the moon is yellow it's a native belief that's because someone has died.. Now that I understand the lyrics the song has such a deeper meaning.

I've already heard a few stories of this song taking a few spins to fully grasp.. Any others have a similar experience with this song? This and pendulum are easily my favorites..
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Join the fun here...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=219000
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256

Sorry, my point wasn't to provide the lyrics, but more talk about the meaning of them..

Ill post this in that thread too ;)
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    smanchac1 wrote:
    Join the fun here...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=219000

Sorry, my point wasn't to provide the lyrics, but more talk about the meaning of them..

Lyric discussion in that thread as well....has it all.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    smanchac1 wrote:

Lyric discussion in that thread as well....has it all.

Cool. I joined in over there as well :)

Such a beautiful song. Crazy it didn't jump out at me the first listen like it is now.
  • wmacsonwmacson Posts: 232
    After hearing Ed talk Sunday night about this song and its meaning and connection to Boston, I have a much greater appreciation for it. The lyrics are incredibly powerful.
  • kc007kc007 Posts: 282
    love this song.
  • wmacson said:

After hearing Ed talk Sunday night about this song and its meaning and connection to Boston, I have a much greater appreciation for it. The lyrics are incredibly powerful.

I am with you 100% on this!
  • Beautiful song and I enjoyed reading your thoughts on it. Loved hearing it at Fenway.
    smanchac1 said:

I heard this song on the stream and my first thoughts were this sounds very "country" and wasn't grasped my first listen.

After getting the files trough a friend and listening more... I really have fallen in love with this song. When the first chorus begins the song really opens up and has alot of atmosphere.. There's alot of empty behind the song.. The song is there but there is also a hollow empty sound behind it.. Not sure if you catch what I mean but I really enjoy that.

The middle of the song to the end just gets better. I really enjoy how much the song is allowed to breathe and where it grows. The song ends alot different than it begins.

We got the cd yesterday. Last night I was looking through the book and read the lyrics closer to the song..

Here they are..

--

Here far away

One could feel the earth vibrate

Moon changing shape and shade

as we all do under its gaze

Yellow moon on the rise

Yellow moon on the rise

Round we go, where we stop no one knows

So tonight the moon i go...

Yellow moon on the rise

An echo that rings

a bullet unchained

one life, one grave

joins the parade

The sky grows dark

with fallen stars

who'd come so far

a headstone engraved

the colors turns grey

the black and white fades

Yellow Moon on the rise

Yellow Moon on the rise

--

The part I bolded really stood out to me and grabbed me.. I didn't realize these were the words on my first few listens... When i saw that's what it said I listened a few more times.

Clearly he is speaking of dying, or death with those words. It totally changed how I looked at the song and really impressed me.

The part of the song that has those lyrics just grows and grows until it feels like its going to explode and when it gets to the part that says " a headstone engraved, the colors turn grey, the black and white fades".... I really feel are some of the best and most emotional lyrics ever written by EV.

This song continues to grow on me. If you've only listened once or twice and didn't enjoy it, may I suggest giving it another shot and telling me how the lyrics speak to you once you know what they say.

I've heard throughout my life that when the moon is yellow it's a native belief that's because someone has died.. Now that I understand the lyrics the song has such a deeper meaning.

I've already heard a few stories of this song taking a few spins to fully grasp.. Any others have a similar experience with this song? This and pendulum are easily my favorites..

5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    I associate this song a lot with Newtown, and also the Boston Marathon bombings were about that time. Definitely a death/gun death song ... if you listen to the lyrics in the bridge.

I had heard that a yellow moon was an old Native superstition signifying that someone had died. I like to believe that, because it makes this song all the more haunting.

Yellow moon on the rise ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,169

I associate this song a lot with Newtown, and also the Boston Marathon bombings were about that time. Definitely a death/gun death song ... if you listen to the lyrics in the bridge.

I had heard that a yellow moon was an old Native superstition signifying that someone had died. I like to believe that, because it makes this song all the more haunting.

Yellow moon on the rise ...

Thanks for the info...a beautiful song...the Yellow Moon reference had to be something poignant. Now I know why!

Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14