Options

Admit it, Ed has regressed as a songwriter/lyrcist

124»

Comments

• Options
    I love 'Infallible', but can anyone else hear Liam Gallagher singing this one (and that isn't an insult ...I love Oasis)?

I can see cornell singing it
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    No... I think we as PJ fans need to understand that the lyrics from the earlier albums were easier to relate to because they were riddled with angst and that appealed to us because of the age we were at the time... Ed is still writing honest lyrics that are important to him... but they may not be lyrics that all of the fans can relate to... That's one thing I can appreciate about Ed... his lyrics have always been honest and from the heart... I don't think you can fault someone for being genuine.
  • Options
    Dillion, is it you again dipshit? Your another negative poster on here. have at it champ.

haha
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    "When progress could be plausible, in reverse we curse ourselves."

Yeah. That sucks. :roll:
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    It does, write a better song and perform it. I want to see how great your song is. I will judge it and then trash it so everyone can see. Is that not fair?

And I hate SBM.

so where's your song that's better than SBM?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Totally disagree. I think LB has some of his best work lyrically speaking. Ed is a different person to 23 years ago. He is not full of the angst about certain things in life and has also had two children which would immensely alter his outlook on life. Yes there are a couple of pretty songs on the last couple of albums but maybe he now has a greater grasp on love and feels that by sharing that he connects with people. 'the end' came out when my mum was suffering from bone cancer from which she died from...it was relevant to me. 'just breathe' was a song Mum listened to on repeat with unthought known and inside job..they meant a lot to her. I love the variation musically and in terms of themes explored on this album. And I'm sure there are plenty who do also. I understand people who don't like it too, but you still have a huge catalog of songs to listen to.
    BIG DAY OUT SYDNEY FAIRGROUNDS, SYDNEY, AU, Sun 26 January, 2014 BIG DAY OUT FLEMINGTON RACECOURSE, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 24 January, 2014 Eddie Vedder Solo, Civic Theatre, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Wednesday 16th March Eddie Vedder Solo, STATE THEATRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Friday 18th March & Saturday 19th March ETIHAD STADIUM, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 20 November, 2009 NEWCASTLE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Sun 19 November, 2006 ACER ARENA, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tues 7, Wed 8 & Sat 18 November, 2006 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tue 11, Thu 13 & Fri 14 February, 2003 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Mon 9, Wed 11 & Thu 12 March, 1998
  • Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    Why is ed the only one writing lyrics? Stone, Jeff, and Mike have written great songs(all those yesterdays,low light,inside job) why have they stopped?
  • Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374
    ED has made it HIS band?
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    No... I think we as PJ fans need to understand that the lyrics from the earlier albums were easier to relate to because they were riddled with angst and that appealed to us because of the age we were at the time...

Not true. It's frustrating when people assume those critical of Ed's writing want him to be "angry" or full of "teen angst". What bullshit. That's not what people want. People want depth. That's why everyone is responding to Pendulum, Infallable and Yellow Moon so positively. Very few people want another Blood. What most people would love to hear are more songs like Tremor Christ, Imortality, Footsteps, Indifference, Light Years, Off He Goes, Nothing as it Seems, Oceans, I am Mine, Of the Girl, ALL OF YIELD, Sometimes, Who You Are, In My Tree, Smile, Present Tense, Nothingman...and the list can go on and on. Slow or mid tempo music with intelligent lyrics (plus some great lyrics from Jeff too)

What's so "riddled with angst" about those songs? If you think those songs only appealed to you because you were 13, you're nuts. There is more maturity and depth in any one of those songs than the entirety of Backspacer and as much as I love this new record (I really, really do), only two or three come close to competing with any of the above. There is no reason a guy in his 40s or 50s couldn't or shouldn't be writing songs like that. His song writing has definitely changed but it's got nothing to do with "maturity." He may have done some crazy shit like climb scaffolding on stage and whatever but his songwriting and lyrics were mature as fuck in his 20s. I'm not attacking you or anything. It's just that I see this thing about angst or aggression all the time and I don't buy it.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    october22 wrote:
    No... I think we as PJ fans need to understand that the lyrics from the earlier albums were easier to relate to because they were riddled with angst and that appealed to us because of the age we were at the time...

Not true. It's frustrating when people assume those critical of Ed's writing want him to be "angry" or full of "teen angst". What bullshit. That's not what people want. People want depth. That's why everyone is responding to Pendulum, Infallable and Yellow Moon so positively. Very few people want another Blood. What most people would love to hear are more songs like Tremor Christ, Imortality, Footsteps, Indifference, Light Years, Off He Goes, Nothing as it Seems, Oceans, I am Mine, Of the Girl, ALL OF YIELD, Sometimes, Who You Are, In My Tree, Smile, Present Tense, Nothingman...and the list can go on and on. Slow or mid tempo music with intelligent lyrics (plus some great lyrics from Jeff too)

What's so "riddled with angst" about those songs? If you think those songs only appealed to you because you were 13, you're nuts. There is more maturity and depth in any one of those songs than the entirety of Backspacer and as much as I love this new record (I really, really do), only two or three come close to competing with any of the above. There is no reason a guy in his 40s or 50s couldn't or shouldn't be writing songs like that. His song writing has definitely changed but it's got nothing to do with "maturity." He may have done some crazy shit like climb scaffolding on stage and whatever but his songwriting and lyrics were mature as fuck in his 20s. I'm not attacking you or anything. It's just that I see this thing about angst or aggression all the time and I don't buy it.

Your points are valid and I fully understand where you're coming from... I do agree that "riddled with angst" doesn't apply to a lot (most) of the songs in the catalog and I used that term to a fault as a generalization for the earlier period of their music... I think that what I was really trying to get at in my post was that *maybe* people don't care for lyrics by 'happy' or 'sentimental' Ed... *shrug* and maybe I was assuming that lyrics in this vein aren't as easy to relate to as lyrics from earlier albums... or maybe it's just that people don't want to hear Ed singing sentimental type songs... either way, the part of my post you didn't quote went on to say that no matter what, Ed's lyrics have always felt honest... even when he does his sentimental stuff ala Future Days or Sleeping By Myself.
  • Options
    october22 wrote:

Your points are valid and I fully understand where you're coming from... I do agree that "riddled with angst" doesn't apply to a lot (most) of the songs in the catalog and I used that term to a fault as a generalization for the earlier period of their music... I think that what I was really trying to get at in my post was that *maybe* people don't care for lyrics by 'happy' or 'sentimental' Ed... *shrug* and maybe I was assuming that lyrics in this vein aren't as easy to relate to as lyrics from earlier albums... or maybe it's just that people don't want to hear Ed singing sentimental type songs... either way, the part of my post you didn't quote went on to say that no matter what, Ed's lyrics have always felt honest... even when he does his sentimental stuff ala Future Days or Sleeping By Myself.

Sure, I'll buy that and I agree about delivery. Ed is a delivery fucking master. I think it's actually the secret to his success even more so than his lyrics. Delivery can make even average lyrics sound spectacular. This is an example from another band but I think it makes the point:

"I have climbed highest mountains
    I have run through the fields
    Only to be with you
    Only to be with you

I have run
    I have crawled
    I have scaled these city walls
    These city walls
    Only to be with you

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
    But I still haven't found what I'm looking for"

Complete crap, right? Except they're not because Boner sings the fuck out of them.
  • Options
    october22 wrote:
    Sure, I'll buy that and I agree about delivery. Ed is a delivery fucking master. I think it's actually the secret to his success even more so than his lyrics. Delivery can make even average lyrics sound spectacular. This is an example from another band but I think it makes the point:

Only to be with you
    Only to be with you

I have run
    I have crawled
    These city walls
    Only to be with you

Complete crap, right? Except they're not because Boner sings the fuck out of them.

agreed. and even he can't over-
    whelm those lines quite like Eddie can, imho.
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    october22 wrote:

Only to be with you
    Only to be with you

I have run
    I have crawled
    These city walls
    Only to be with you

agreed. and even he can't over-
    whelm those lines quite like Eddie can, imho.

I studied your face and I'm over-
    joyed you agree with me.
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    That's not true.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    YLed2 wrote:
    That's not true.
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,924
    Posting Guidelines
    1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

2. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. This includes abusive Private Messages.

read them viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91525
This discussion has been closed.