Options

Toronto Review

RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Ignore the fact that they again refer to this as possibly PJ's last tour...it's the same source that said it yesterday so they are still taking their info from the same place...

TORONTO - If you were at Pearl Jam's 2006 world tour kick-off show last night at the Air Canada Centre, consider yourself lucky.

Not only was it possibly one of the band's final Toronto performances (they play a second show tonight but have said this may be their last tour), but it may very well go down in history as one of the greatest live performances to ever hit this city.

Even though there are no other Canadian dates on the tour, it was clear the group has a particular fondness for Canada.

"This is the first night of our tour," said vocalist/guitarist Eddie Vedder. "It seems like this side of the border is a safe place to start."

The Seattle quintet -- rounded out by guitarist Stone Gossard, drummer Matt Cameron, guitarist Mike McCready and bassist Jeff Ament -- are touring in support of their eighth studio album, released last week and simply called Pearl Jam.

They've said they rehearsed more for this tour than any other. And it showed.

Awash in multicoloured lights and smoke, the band flawlessly delivered an audible lesson of their 15-year history.

Songs from their epic 1991 debut, Ten, including Even Flow and Garden, were, not surprisingly, the best received.

Even the new songs, including their latest single, World Wide Suicide, were performed with an energy that was fierce and raw and so deeply reminiscent of the early '90s Pearl Jam that we all fell in love with in the first place.

Shaggy and unassuming in their signature jeans-and-T-shirt uniforms, the band had no trouble at all getting the crowd -- a traditional lighter-in-the-air (and not cellphones) rock fan set -- to sing along.

The highlight of the night came during a tradition for Toronto Pearl Jam dates -- the awe-inspiring, chill-inducing Better Man sing-a-long, with the sold-out crowd's Daughter accompaniment coming a close second.

And of course, Pearl Jam have never been ones to disappoint during the encores.

Last night's included crowd favourites Do The Evolution, Jeremy and Alive as well as a ballad from the new album, Come Back.

It's a remarkable ability, they have, to make their encore sets feel special, impromptu and genuine -- not at all like the standard contrived and obligatory encore offerings concert-goers have become so accustomed to.

Swigging from his trademark bottle of wine, Vedder, always the everyman, took the opportunity to further befriend the crowd.

"So, where are you guys going after this?" he asked. "'Cause I feel like having a drink."

In standard Pearl Jam style, they capped the show with a request for the house lights to go on, a rugged cover of Neil Young's Rockin' In The Free World and an energetic Yellow Ledbetter.

If the impeccable musicianship, hypnotizing stage performance and utterly engaging audience interaction for this show didn't move you enough, the notoriously philanthropic band gave us even more to feel good about.

They've decided to donate one dollar from every ticket sold to a local charity in each city they play -- and that money will come directly out of their own pockets for the Toronto dates. Last night's show will benefit the White Ribbon Campaign, a renowned anti-violence-against-women group. Tonight, the guys will dish out for Sketch -- a non-profit initiative that engages homeless youth in the arts.

And if you can still get a ticket tonight, I highly recommend you do.

You can thank me later.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjfanmanpjfanman Posts: 84
    I love this quote:

"Not only was it possibly one of the band's final Toronto performances (they play a second show tonight but have said this may be their last tour), but it may very well go down in history as one of the greatest live performances to ever hit this city."

I'm going to the second show tonight!
  • Options
    spryguy09spryguy09 Posts: 446
    I just read this story too and was about to post the link.......I'm pretty sure we can assume this person, who obviously has great taste in music, read too much into Jeff's quote about not coming back for a while. Seeing as how they just bought themselves a recording studio, I don't see them fading away now. What could likely happen is we won't be spoiled with the amount of shows we received from 2003 to 2006, and may not see them in Toronto or on any other type of tour until their next album.

Enjoy life
    Toronto Sept 96. Barrie Aug 98. Toronto Oct 00. Toronto June 03. Hamilton Sept 05. Toronto May 06. Toronto Aug 09. Toronto Sept 11. London July 13. Toronto May 16 (I & II).
    Eddie solo. Aug 08 (Massey Hall II)
  • Options
    spryguy09 wrote:
    I just read this story too and was about to post the link.......I'm pretty sure we can assume this person, who obviously has great taste in music, read too much into Jeff's quote about not coming back for a while. Seeing as how they just bought themselves a recording studio, I don't see them fading away now. What could likely happen is we won't be spoiled with the amount of shows we received from 2003 to 2006, and may not see them in Toronto or on any other type of tour until their next album.

Enjoy life

I totally agree....I think he just meant that they probably wouldn't be back for a while....I mean, they have to finish a tour, make another album and that could take a while.
  • Options
    spryguy09 wrote:

Enjoy life

I totally agree....I think he just meant that they probably wouldn't be back for a while....I mean, they have to finish a tour, make another album and that could take a while.
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Another writer who gets it! I love it when they do. They try so hard to let people know what really happens during a show.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    In the same interview that the interviewer opened with 'might never be back' they quoted Jeff as saying might not be back to Canada "for a while", so it looks like they're just selectively leaving the end off the quote or misinterpreting what he said to them. On that note maybe it was his (Jeff's) tone or something like that when talking to the interviewer that made him think he meant definite.

And all apologies for the quadruple posting of this report. I rarely think to stick my head out of the Porch (which is where I plopped the thread) and it wasn't there yet...for good reason :P
  • Options
    western pearlwestern pearl Posts: 632
    "The highlight of the night came during a tradition for Toronto Pearl Jam dates -- the awe-inspiring, chill-inducing Better Man sing-a-long."

Huh? That happens at every show they play betterman.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • Options
    "The highlight of the night came during a tradition for Toronto Pearl Jam dates -- the awe-inspiring, chill-inducing Better Man sing-a-long."

Huh? That happens at every show they play betterman.

Yeah, good luck getting a reporter from Toronto to see that there is a world outside their city! So, as far as they know, it is indeed a TO tradition!
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I wouldn't worry too much about the Sun completely misrepresenting Jeff's comments--it's what they do. If it weren't for that kind of stellar reporting, the paper wouldn't exist. :p

Steve
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    SnowRiderSnowRider Posts: 55
    People want what they cannot have. So that comment is just a media trick.
    I highly doubt this is going to be their last show. There is too much love and support for this band. Us fans would never let it happen so soon.
    Calgary 04/09/05, Las Vegas 06/07/06, The Gorge 22/07/06 23/07/06