Options

Shows not loud enough

WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
edited August 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Are PJ shows less loud than other concerts?

I have been to many a concert in my life but only three PJ shows, outside and inside. In terms of loud, I have always found that a loud show really gets the crowd going and makes some songs really stand out to the point that no album could ever recreate the feeling you get.

The HOB show I went to was quite loud, but of course that place is small. I really thought it was awesome. The NJ II show was the best setlist ever and it was awesome but I remember thinking during the show that it was not nearly as loud as what I expected.

But the Gorge I I was really disappointed that it wasn't louder. I was in the 10c section C about 40 rows back but kinda far out to the edge. I just thought the show should have had a lot more punch to it. Anyone think the same?
HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I agree, the shows I've been to could have been louder, but that's the problem with the venue and their sound system, not the band. Every time I've seen them it's been outside, which I think sucks. I'm craving for pj to come back to Milwaukee and play somewhere inside. I believe that will solve my sound issues.
    But, not to be negetive, I did have a great time at every show I've been to.
    Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06
  • Options
    belfast1belfast1 Posts: 780
    I saw them inside in Wembley Arena in London (got right up to front) and remember thinking the same thing at the time!!

heres hoping they turn it up this time round in Europe!
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • Options
    I was in the bleachers at East Rutherford 1 at I thought the sound was awful. There was no volume or clarity at all...it sounded like distant noise. You couldn't even tell what song they were playing until Eddie sang - it was really bad.
  • Options
    WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
    JWBusher wrote:
    I was in the bleachers at East Rutherford 1 at I thought the sound was awful. There was no volume or clarity at all...it sounded like distant noise. You couldn't even tell what song they were playing until Eddie sang - it was really bad.

I think this was related to the outage, I heard there were some speakers that never came back on up high.

So far no one disagrees, maybe there is a problem here that the band needs to address. They do control the soundboard.
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • Options
    I agree, the shows I've been to could have been louder, but that's the problem with the venue and their sound system, not the band. Every time I've seen them it's been outside, which I think sucks. I'm craving for pj to come back to Milwaukee and play somewhere inside. I believe that will solve my sound issues.

The band has their own sound gear. and no it's not the band's fault, it's their sound crew's fault. I've been to 5 pearl jam shows, all inside, and the sound has sucked at all of them.

When I saw sleater kinney open, they were way louder, and the instruments were way clearer than when pearl jam played.

When I saw my morning jacket open, the guitars were soooo clear and great sounding, but when pearl jam came out mike and stone's guitars were barely audible and sounded like mud. I don't blame it on the venues at all for the sole reason that the opening bands sounded great.

They really need to crank up the volume, ESPECIALLY the guitars. I can hear the drums, bass, and eddie's vocals fine, but the guitars really need to come up for sure.

Don't get me wrong, the PJ shows still rocked and kicked ass. I think if the sound was actually good I'd die of joy right on the spot.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I think it depends on the venue. Vancouver 2005 was really loud. Others not so much. Ed's microphone seems to be different at all venues as well. Not sure why this is, but it's all good I guess. Makes every concert different for sure. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    LikeLukin wrote:
    When I saw my morning jacket open, the guitars were soooo clear and great sounding, but when pearl jam came out mike and stone's guitars were barely audible and sounded like mud. I don't blame it on the venues at all for the sole reason that the opening bands sounded great.

It was the same at East Rutherford. MMJ were loud and clear, and PJ were distant and muddy. I don't get it.
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    this tour was rather quiet come to think of it
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    Gotta agree, the sound was terrible ... PJ was great as always, but they gotta get louder and clearer. Hopefully they see this and make the needed changes.
  • Options
    mpg82mpg82 Posts: 83

I saw them at the United Center in Chicago. Trust me, you aren't missing anything. The sound is a lot worse. The outside shows are hands down the best and most intimate. It's weird going to an arena to watch PJ. It's kind of lame to walk through the hallways and take elevators. I can see if it's MSG or a nice theatre, but not a sports arena.
    6/26/98, 6/27/98, 06/13/99, 10/08/00, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/29/06, 6/30/06, 5/7/10
  • Options
    elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    JWBusher wrote:
    It was the same at East Rutherford. MMJ were loud and clear, and PJ were distant and muddy. I don't get it.

same in chicago...MMJ sounded awesome and pj so-so, i thought it was because it was TOO loud. not for me but for the speakers and hence, a muddy sound...
    night 2 was a better sounding
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan